1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. I've actually been to a doll panel at a convention back in October and seen how amazingly gentle some of our younger people handle them. Even the ABS babes that they were told can handle a little more love than usual, they're just so cautious with them, like they'll break if you even look at them wrong. I think as long as the kids know how to handle them and how delicate they /can/ be, any age is good to get into it.

2. I think age knows no limitations when respect for a hobby is present. Someone cannot simply say, "XX age is too young because we are talking about _____." If that were the case, I'd have never learned to crochet or knit, because it's for little old ladies. All the people I knit & crochet with now are 65+ years old, I'm 38. I learned to crochet in Kindergarten at 5yrs & knit at about 7yrs in 2nd grade, by watching my mom & a little old lady who babysat my friend & I.

If you have the patience & interest to learn & handle your dolls carefully, you are not too young even if you are a toddler! If young people show an interest, I believe the adults in the "community" are obligated to teach them.... it takes a village you know!

3. Hmm, as long as they have the right attitude about the hobby, then i think everyone can be welcome! sometimes though its prohibitively expensive... so thats why its mostly adults.
      Itd be cool if a parent and child would do it together

4. "The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys." Or "The only difference between women and girls is the size of their curls/dolls." There are lots and lots of multijointed dolls similar to Big Name Brand BJDs that are available for parents to share with their children or teens to share with their friends. Many parents pay high prices for anatomically correct rag dolls.
      There are certainly hard edged dolls in the Action Figure World that border on the ridiculous and BJDs that are not PG rated. The fantasy aspect, making videos of your BJDs can be an artistic expression or just flat an X rated horror movie.
      When you are communicating on line with someone, there is no way to tell if they are 6 or 96. The BJD collectors I know range from their 20s and up. There is life after turning 14, 35, 72 and 96.
      To own an expensive BJD can be a status symbol, an increase in the oriental concept of "face", Polynesian concept of "Mana" or simply the desire to own a beautiful interactive art object. The preception and love of beauty knows no age limits.

5. I think it's great, it encourages being creative all while having fun. Dolls are for everyone in my opinion :D

I'm looking forward to when my duaghter and I can be in this hobby together, she's only 6 right now but still... I think it would be great for bonding and would be a lot fun!

6. I was 14 when I got my first doll. I bought him with my own money that I'd saved up and now at 20 I have three dolls. I think it can all seem a little over whelming when you're young, but I don't see the problem with younger owners. I'd just suggest researching how to take care of them properly and maybe buying a pre-painted doll at first.

7. I think this hobby is for anyone that can afford it. It's this way for most hobbies. Younger people who have generous parents or younger people who are industrious, save money, work odd jobs and choose to buy a BJD and drag it through the mud or lock it in a case, etc.; that's up to them. I don't think that age has much to do with who should or shouldn't engage in this hobby.

When we start this hobby it's pretty clear how expensive these dolls are. It's not like Santa left them and we have no clue. I also think it's a great learning point too (for anyone). If a doll is damaged, it will be difficult or expensive to replace and you learn patience by having to wait to receive the doll. So I think if a teen or child can understand these concepts (and I think we really don't give younger people enough credit sometimes) then they should be able to enjoy the hobby as someone a little older.

8. I believe that anyone should be able to join in the hobby as long as they enjoy it and are able to afford it one way or another. I don't think a hobby revolving around dolls of all things should be considered exclusive only for adults.