1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. Well, I don't really think of 13 as a kid, more a young adult. "Kid" to me means 10 and under or a child who runs around a store screaming while riding on those roller skate shoes as though it is their own personal skating rink... Sorry... The horrors of working in retail.

The NC meetup is being led by cloudymoonx who is 13 as well. I feel she is extremely mature for her age. I believe if you are able to commit to something, save money, and make an educated decision on what to do with that money, then you are mature beyond your years.

Besides, there isn't an age written on the box when you get your doll that says 18+. And really, if you love something it doesn't matter if you are 5 or 80.

2. Well I'm 15 turning 16 soon and I haven't seen many people my age on here. I don't really consider myself a kid but a young lady... :whee: I think that any hobby, there will be a range of ages involved. Just because younger people don't get much money or a weekly salary doesn't mean that we can't get involved in this hobby.

3. I'm 17...18 in January, I don't think I'm that young to be owning a bjd. x3 Yes, they're going to take more work than an older person with a most likely much better job, but since people starting at 16 can usually get a job owning a bjd is very possble if you work hard and savesavesave! Thankfully I didn't have to save much at all because I had 500$ already through a few commissions and then my parents paid for the rest of my doll for a present they've been wanting to get me.

I do think it's rare for a 13 year old to have a bjd, not because you're not mature enough or anything but I don't think any 13 year old can get a job (legally! XD) I could be wrong though, so I think many 13 year olds would've given up already because the saving would take that much longer!

4. I know a 16 year old BJD collector who acts more mature than some older folks. So...it's not always about age. I think it's great for people of all ages to be interested and involved. I know that money is a consideration, so generally older people might have more of an opportunity to buy BJDs.

5. i started collecting dolls on my teens around 17 or 18 and some artist dolls are expensive like 350.00 and up but i save and work to pay but only buy 1 doll to 2 per year if possible. So dont need to be adult but if your parents help out then that will be cool.

Now I hope my daughter will love dolls also so I can give her part of my collection but I think bec. she sees mommy with lots of dolls all the time I dont think she likes doll, she likes Thomas the train better.

6. being TOTALLY honest here, kids (especially young girls) have a DEFINATE interest in these dolls.....when we did our dowtown disney meetup, a little boy ran up to me and was like MOM!!!! LOOK AT THIS COOL DOLL!!! and started asking me all kinds of noob questions.....

when i used to set up at Cafe Tu Tu Tango and make clothing for them, all KINDS of little girls would stop and talk to me and ask if they could hold my doll, and stuff....so we can't say that kids aren't interested in them.

My roommate new a woman who's daughter had recieved a Dollfie from her father for christmas.....

the girl was like 9 or 10....and she carried the doll JUST like most BJD owners do LOL

7. Well, I'm only 14 and have an Elfdoll Wu that was bought for me as a combined christmas and birthday present. My younger sister who is 12, also recently bought Latidoll M and saved up for him herself. But its true that I haven't met many people on here or any other bjd forums that are younger than around 15.

8. Like so many have said, I don't think the BJD hobby is based solely on age. I think it's based more on maturity level - as in is the person in question responsible enough to save up the oftentimes exorbitant amount for a doll and the accessories that go with it. And is the person mature enough to care for the doll?

I'm glad to see members of all ages on the board (I'm 29 m'self) but it really warms my heart to see the younger members. It just shows that society can turn out good kids with values and not just snotty brats that can make life miserable.

Often times I reflect on members of my own family and it proves my belief. I have two neices, one who is 17 and one who is 3. I have no problem with the 3 year old touching/holding/helping me care for my dolls because I know she'll be gentle and careful with them. The 17 year old I won't let any where near them (mainly because I'm afraid she'll steal them *sighs*)

9. Please remember that according to the forum's Terms of Service that you agree to when you register for Den of Angels, the minimum age of membership is 13 years.

If you have given a false age when you sign up in order to get past that restriction, it would be in your best interest to not publically admit to it because we will be forced to delete the memberships of individuals we know to have provided fraudulent information in their registration.

:| I'm sorry to have to make a post like this, but the 'over 13' policy is standard for online forums with publically accessible information such as email addresses, etc. in order to comply with COPPA.

10. Lol, thanks Diefbaby ^^ I'm 17, gonna be 18 in November and I agree with what most people have said here, age doesn't even enter into it for me. I really think it is about maturity level. And determination LOL!!!

I'm going to be a senior in high school this year, and I'm also just now having someone order an FCS doll for me, and those are REALLY expensive!But I would just MUCH rather spend my money on that doll, and other dolls and clothes and accessories and such than go out and buy a new purse every month like my friends. And I know I'm going to keep the dolls that I really bond with forever! I'm actually glad that I've started collecting so young, because that means I'll have my dolls that much longer!

11. When I was younger, I would have loved one of these dolls. I always wanted a fully customizable doll. My sister and I would make clothes for our barbies, give them tattoos, all that stuff. But they always felt so limiting. I guess collecting dolls is in my blood, my grandma collected Patsy Ann dolls, and my mom has a few that I'm not sure of what kind they are (cute little dolls though). And we have a hundred year old porcelain doll that has been passed down on my mom's side.

So I think, like others have said, if a younger person can prove they really want it and are willing to save for it themselves, age doesn't matter too much.

12. I fall in with the rest of the people here. Its not about age at all, just the maturity level. I really don't think you're too "young" to have a doll either, nor anyone else who can save their money, buy and take care of the doll they decide on. The money is what may make people make such an assumption but, I feel its more about the level of maturity and responsibility the owner has.

I, myself, am 18 and starting college (next week actually), and see nothing wrong with seeing owners of all ages. ^_^ And you do seem very mature for your age, unlike my brother.. xx;

I have a soon-to-be 13 year old brother who wants a doll. I let him hold, touch and, at times, pose mine. But, my mom and I are on the same page about getting him one. He'd get one but, he'd never take care of it, and if it'd be like some of his other toys--tossed out in the yard after he's done playing. Can't have that. *_* His friend on the other hand, is a different story, though he doesn't want one as much as my brother does, so age has nothing to do with it.

Heck. I don't even let some of my friends around them, just because I feel they'd break them or something, taking my having them as some kind of joke.

Though, I do agree with Weslie. I'd rather have my money go into dolls I'll have and cherish forever, than a purse or something else of the sort that'd either "go out of fashion" or break.

13. I got my daughter her first BJD for her birthday this past June :) She has been pretty responsible with her doll and I'm teaching her how to handle her and keep her nice. She loves going to doll meets with me. Her younger sister, 5, tags along, too, and really enjoys setting up and photographing my dolls. I got my younger daughter a Teen Trends doll and she is quite happy with that for now, but I know she will want her own BJD one of these days. She's already informed me that she better get one for her 10th birthday!

14. I think it depends who you are. I get wonky looks all the time since a large Black Woman(?) Carrying around a delicate looking boy in my arms >.>

15. You took the words right out of my mouth ^_^

I think that's a very Western mentality (this isn't a dig at you, just a general observation) . . . I mean, why is it less weird for fashion dolls to have neutered genitalia? It's not "normal," it's not representative of what the human body looks like, it's actually kind of a strange distortion of the facts, and it plays into the idea that certain body parts are "dirty" and forbidden -- whereas I have friends in other parts of the world who can't quite "get" the idea of why most Western dolls *don't* have at least the suggestion of male or female parts.

I'm getting off-topic, sorry ;) But, seriously, I'd be less concerned with my daughter, at ANY age, having an anatomically correct doll, than with her watching prime-time TV or reading the tabloids or even most teen magazines X_x

And a last random comment -- mystical-maz, I think our daughters must be just about the same age -- Kira's birthday is Sept. 18, and I am in fact planning on getting her an SD-sized doll of her very own, at her request :>

Regarding the comments about feeling sour because some people's parents buy them BJDs . . . I'm cranky because some people's boyfriends or husbands or parents can afford to buy them BJDs, too, because I have to buy my own!! *grin* I wish that I had more money, just like everyone does . . . but I don't begrudge other people their good fortune.

I'm only resentful if I feel like people (of ANY age) are being given gifts that they don't appreciate -- I hate seeing dolls treated poorly/abused (in the sense of being damaged) or discarded as a fad -- if a teenager's (or grown-up's) parent wants to buy them a gift that they'll *really appreciate*, though, that doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty shocked at what parents will buy kids these days -- I see a lot of expensive electronics and fancy clothes being tossed around by kids like they have no value -- I can't even imagine being willing to buy a child a second iPod because they "lost" the first one. In terms of my parenting, I may buy Kira something really nice for her birthday or for Christmas, but she knows that it's a one-time deal -- if she loses/breaks/abuses it, there won't be a replacement, and this kind of purchase only comes once or twice a year.

I wouldn't buy Kira things that I didn't think she'd enjoy and appreciate for years to come . . . so, while her friends may have their own phone lines and big-screen TV's in their bedrooms and fancy electronic gadgets, she gets one or two reasonable Big Requests a year, and this year, she wants a doll for her birthday, and I'm happy to get one for her (she's an honor student, she helps out a LOT around the house since I'm disabled, and she's a generally awesome kid who I'm incredibly proud of!)

I really don't want her to get a job at her age (14 next month) -- while I made my pocket money by babysitting, we don't live in the kind of small neighborhood that I grew up in, and transportation is an issue . . . plus, I'd like her to keep up her good grades and her orchestra practice and social life, so I'm glad to make up the difference financially, and to splurge every once in a while if I see something that I think will really make her happy.

My two cents,

-- Andi (shutting up now, really!)

16. well, i'm 18, first year college student, i see many college student aged collectors and older ones, a few younger ones also. when i went to my first meetup, everyone was older, and i did feel like a baby, but then my little sis who's 11 came along, so it wasn't that bad.;) but i think it doesn't matter what age, we all share a crazy expensive hobby and passion, and that's what matters right? :)

17. I think its considered an adult hobby because it's expensive. At 13 I dunno if I ever could have gotten a doll..maybe a msd sized one at Christmas.. maybe..I think the hobby may be out of reach for many children/young teenagers. But I could have seen myself being totally into it as a young teenager and I don't think there would have been anything wrong with it except that I wouldn't have been able to afford much.

It would have been a lot more wholesome then the stuff I was actually into as a young teenager. I used to go out to Raves until 5am and date older guys back when I was 15..I sure my mom would have loved it if I were into collecting dolls instead ^^;;;

18. IMO! It's very discriminating when people do so. O_o

I used to get the WHAT YOU'RE WHAT OLD?! as well since the people on my LJ comm where all above 20 and I could hold a very mature conversation with them. They only found out I wasn't even legal and I was into such a mature fandom already when they were going to limit the entrants by 17 and I was worried since I wasn't 17 yet then. Haha.
      It felt like a compliment when they couldn't believe I was so young and could keep up with them so maturely.

Then again, I do not blame them because of the common image of how teenagers would be like. Fangirls. Squealers. Not very nice I tell you.

I'm 19 now. I still feel like a kid though.

But on the side of the 'kid', it's a bit discriminating to say this is just for adults though. I mean the beauty of these dolls really appeal to everybody. Even my one year old is drawn to Lith.

I've read of younger than 13 girl, a sibling of a DoA member tat that, who was so determined and saved for her first BJD and that was a MSD Hisui kit. I can't seem to remember just who it was!

I'm quite shocked that I found a sticker on Lith's box saying that anyone below 15 years old can't play with such dolls. I supposed it's due to the fragile not so fragile-ness and the small parts. ALSO THE PRICE! OMG! THE PRICE! ...It's like WHOA. I could send my gf back to school with this already!

I believe it isn't about the age. It's about your mind. It's your level of maturity. But if you're still a kid aged person and you're just too mature... not that I'm being prescriptive or anything, try to enjoy and be a kid sometimes. It pays to enjoy and have fun still. ^^;

I had to grow up fast. I lived in a house full of lawyers and adults so I had to grow up faster than most and was discriminated muchly because of that. Oh well. I grew up reading law books and criminal cases --- knowing more than any kid would ever do. :P

19. I don't see it as an "adults only" hobby. It also doesn't weird me out when "kids" are interested in the hobby. My nieces would totally love to start collecting these dolls, but my brother thinks it's going a bit too far at their age. (Money wise, that is). My 6 year old plays with mine. She dresses them up and even sews for them on occasion. As far as I'm concerned, they are fun for all ages.

20. I find it interesting that the fan-base is extending itself to younger and younger people.

I find the maturity-factor important, but besides that? Well, kids have had dolls since the beginning of dolly-time.

I'm sure it's good for them to learn about money and value and worth.
      Plus, I think it's really healthy to have a good hobby--something to look forward to, something to work on, something for companionship and reflection and introspection.

I think it's great that kids or younger people can actually get these dolls to pour their love and energy into.

I wish my parents would buy me a dollie now, but I think that time's past. :) I think it's lovely when kids do wonderful things for their parents and their parents reciprocate (or vice-versa).

:) :) :)