1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. I completely agree with everyone else-- it really is about maturity level. Heck, if a 7-year-old can take care of his/her doll properly, then why shouldn't he/she have one? Of course, the cost of the dolls is the most prominent answer to that question, and cost really is what prohibits most "kids" from getting dolls (including me :| ). I've been into BJDS since I was 12 or 13 (now I'm 18 ), and, unfortunately, the cost of them still prohibits me from owning one, because there are, unfortunately, many other things all the money I earn must go to (oooh if only...). Because of this, I'm rather jealous of anyone younger than me who is able to afford a doll, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't have one, just because I'm becoming a bitter old lady in my youth! *_*

2. Well, at 14 I'm another youngling into bjds. And I definitely agree with it being about maturity rather than age. Whilst most kids my age are frustratingly immature, from what I've heard on this board it seems like there some more mature kids and teens.
      As for kids who have their parents buy a doll for them, I think it depends on the indvidual's situation. For example, I have a part time job, and after a couple months work I have almost enough money to buy my dream doll, a TS hound. But I can't use that money, because it's my savings for college.
      Fortunately for me, I have an angel for a mother, who gives me an allowance so that I have my own money to spend. So originally I fully intended to buy my first bjd (MNF Shiwoo) with that money (even though it would take many years), but my mother, without any suggestion from me (though I have the slight suspicion my sister may have been involved in giving her the idea), decided she would buy me a doll as a gift. I haven't been to keen on the idea, as I hate the thought that she's spending so much money on me, but at the same time it makes the doll all the more special to know it is a gift.
      So I think that not every kid who isn't buying their own bjd isn't necessarily having their parent buy it for them because they're too lazy to work for one.

Arr, sorry if this sounds too much like a rant, bit stressed at the moment so my wording sucks. -___-U

3. I have mixed feelings on younger people having BJD, to be honest. I kinda feel like if a kid can be spending $300 on a doll, that's great... especially if she had the follow through to save up for it herself. At the same time, though, I sort of go "Well, maybe there are useful things you could be dropping that money on." And how many opportunities to go to movies or go out for pizza with friends were given up in order to save that? In the situation of parents buying dolls for their kids... wellllllll if a parent feels its necessary to buy their kid a $300+ gift, I'd definitely prefer to see that gift being something that provokes imagination and creativity rather than being an XBox 360. If you worry "but the kid will move on from it in a year or two!" you can just as easily consider that most game systems will be outdated in that time too and lately cost just as much!

Similarly, I'd rather see a "rich kid" with a neglected Christmas doll than a neglected Christmas puppy.

I don't think young kids belong unsupervised in the online doll community. There's a lot of stuff that slips through the cracks on technicalities, even on a "family friendly" board like DoA. And you can lecture about how "mature" the modern 12 year old is, but there are still limits on what's appropriate. This is a bizarrely quasi-erotic, fetishistic group at times! O_O I also see "adults" getting a little too into the fantasy/escapism aspect of these dolls, and I would be concerned that a young kid might be a little too into pretend as well... at a time when he or she should be developing their social skills and sense of self.

(P.S. When I was 12, my allowance was $2 per week.)

4. My entreprenurial 15-year-old daughter recently made over $250 in profit on her latest costume commissions. After paying down her debts (ie: installments to me for her dolls), and being "frugally inclined", she saves most of it anyway.

And she has a DoA account, but is hardly ever on here, because she IS busy with her friends all the time too... In our family, we don't tend to get so involved with just one hobby to the exclusion of other hobbies, friends, or life.

5. Here's a completely selfish response, please take it with a grain of salt!:o

Whenever I see younger people collecting dolls (12-25) I see the dolls as being purchased by somebody who is going to go through a lot of life changes very soon. People who'll make new friends, need money for college or a car or to move out on their own, get pregnant, get married, buy a house, fall for some other expensive hobby or expensive significant other...who knows.

The first thing that occurs to me when I see a young person who's purchased a doll I missed out on: Keep an eye on them, they may sell it in a few years.:sneaky

It's the hunter in me.

6. I think it's fantastic that there are younger Bjd collectors out there. I am pleased to say that with the arrival of each doll my own family have been infected time and time again. My daughter is 14 right now. She babysits her brothers so that she can afford her own BJD. Next month we'll be sending off for a Tiny fairy for her.
      The young people who can do face-ups, etc I applaud them and encourage them to hone their skills. They are the future of BJDs.

7. I love that a younger crowd is into this hobby!

but a lot of kids have a tendency to want several of a kind of doll, so they can play with them.
      i used to love barbie because i had more than one and they could interact with each other, like going out dancing or getting married to ken.

8. I don't think it's and adult hobby, you can love dolls at any age! I'm 13 and I love my dolls, and I own 5.

9. *giggles like a madwoman*

I have gotten that remark on anime boards, games, and so forth -- but from the other direction!! (I'll be 49 in a few weeks.) :lol:

Having grown up in a pre-computer world (PC's first came out the year after I graduated from college) I REALLY love the fact that we can all get into the same space, read about and enjoy the same hobbies, and learn from each other. I'm continually impressed by how much I learn from people of widely differing age groups, to say nothing of widely differing backgrounds! by engaging in these hobbies.

Just because you're chronologically young doesn't mean you can't respect, care for, handle and love bjd's as well as the next person. Same goes in reverse for us grayhairs.

Oh, and while at first I was terrified to let my two kids handle my dolls I am now determined that they should have some of their own. My girls are 11 and 8, and they both did the same "instant love" thing that I did with our gang. They've been practicing on 11 inch non-resin jointed dolls and have shown amazing care and skill at faceups, hairstyles, and so forth.

And I'm going to buy them their first dolls because -- think about it -- they don't have credit cards or Paypal accounts! *grin* They do have allowances and savings accounts and we could do that, but I'm a sucker. The first one's on me. ;) I understand what you mean about having to work hard for it, though...I think I'm splurging in part because when I was that age we had a family-owned seasonal business and NO fun money at all. NONE. We're learning about costs as we go here, and the difference between a $15 Bratz doll from Target (they've worked for those by doing chores around the house) and a $1500 spectacular-in-every-way custom designed elf who looks like she descended from heaven ;)

I say, a hobby is a hobby. :D Whoever enjoys it, should enjoy it!

10. Well said! Hear, hear!

11. I do tend to think that this hobby is more for people that are 18+, simply because of the cost and care required to own a BJD. Of course there will be exceptions, such as children with jobs or as gifts, things like that. A BJD definitely isn't a spur of the moment sort of purchase; it takes a hefty amount of cash. Caring for one properly also takes a degree of maturity, or responsibility, I think.

12. On the whole, I don't see it as a hobby geared towards young kids--mostly due to the cost and fragility of the dolls (not that they're super breakable, but they wouldn't hold up to rough play). Now having said that, a lot depends on the individual--some young people are very carefull and are more than capable of taking good care of their doll. I don't think age alone should bar someone from participating : )

13. I am 22 so I am techinally an adult I guess. ^^; Anyways, I have no problems with younger people getting dolls.

I just think that sometimes the older you are the more you have to work for it. Which makes you more responsible and grateful for your doll.

But if you are responisble and mature then there's should be no problems.

14. I was 14 when I got my first old Volks FCS28, having had a interest in them approximately two years before. Internally I don't think I've ever felt like I was a 'kid' when I was 12 or 13, so I don't really regard these ages as such. Now I'm 17, co-owner of 9 dolls between my sister and I.

I would think that once someone is willing to sink that much money into a doll, especially at a younger age, it's already an indication of a suitable maturity to own BJDs - except cases where parents buy their children who want BJDs on a whim and end up neglecting them. Getting BJD when you're younger is really advantageous if you make it to be - I picked up sewing and photography seriously and I'm now able to produce things that I probably would never have been able to if I hadn't owned BJD.

I think one of the main reasons that the age group is moving down is the Internet and the relative ease of getting BJDs now, as well as views towards online payment. Lots of younger people are definitely net-savvy and more people are sharing their BJDs online. More BJDs are available online and online buying is a lot more common and reliable.

For those who are fortunate enough to have their parents pay for their dolls - sure, why not? If they express genuine interest and treasure what they have, then I don't think they deserve any stick from people who worked for their dolls. I feel it's what they do with them that counts in the end. Of course, loads of respect to those who saved and worked for them too, I think many of us definitely share your sentiments!

But really, age is inconsequential and of no importance. It's what one does with your doll and how much you enjoy them that truly counts. I never even thought about how old I was when I was going about my BJD biz. XD

15. tehe I'm 15 and I got a "aren't you too old to be playing with dolls?" from my parents when I told them about it =P and most of my friends at school were like "you're spending HOW MUCH on a DOLL?!?!?"

but I think it's just a matter of how mature you are and if you'll take good care of your doll...

right now I'm saving for a souldoll Celestyn. I'm starting at a part time job soon so ^_^ and I'm getting a cheap doll head from e-bay soon so I can practice faceups

16. My daughter is 12, she's has 2 MSDs ->Kazuya and Persephone, had Kazuya for 2 years, Persephone for almost 1 now and I've been trying for the last few years to get her to pick a full size she wants... which she finally did [her first full size will be a tanning El and I couldn't be happier] ... now she has about 6 or 7 full sized planned and I will be getting each and everyone of them for her eventually, because they mean alot to her and she loves them [and she's a non spoiled good kid and deserves them. What can I say, I'm an enabler xD]

I figure if I can spend hundreds to thousands on them, then she should be allowed to as well. She takes care of them the same way I take care of mine, loves them, plays with them, has me make stuffs, talks to them [comes home from school and makes "rounds" <-- says hi to everyone in the house, it's really cute actually] and to be "fair" to them she switches up with them when we go to events like movies [yes, we bring them to the movies] or meetups [if she brings Kazuya one time, she'll bring Persephone the next, etc.]

I think as in anything, it's really a matter of maturity. My 12 year old acts more mature than many adults I've run into so age itself has never been a factor for that.... if you can afford them and can take care of them, then how old you are shouldn't matter in the end

17. You're one of the coolest parents ever. XD I think it's even better for younger kids to get involved in BJDs if they have a supportive family member/family friend who's into the hobby also. It allows for quality bonding time as well as a chance to teach responsibility, maturity and the value of a dollar so to speak. :3

18. I think BJDs are for anyone who would be able to take care of them. I just got my first one, and I'm "omg don't hurt him" to anyone who comes close. XD

I know a couple people who, after seeing my doll, wanted to get one of their own.

My one friend (15) I trust, she already has a lot of collectible things, and takes good care of everything she owns.

Another guy I know (14), however, I would never let close to my doll. He was asking about it, all things like how big is it, what's it made of etc. and as I was explaining the "What's it made of?" to him, his response was:

"Oh, so unless you're trying to destroy it, it won't break, right?"

So, yeah, I'd trust anyone who knows how much value these dolls have, how much work goes into them etc with one.

19. ^__^ As most people have been saying, it depends on the level of maturity and if the teen can afford it. I tend to think that those below 9 or so would find it a bit difficult to appreciate the hobby, but 10 and above should be fine. If the youth can appreciate how much it costs, take care of it, do face-ups, sew...then I think it's fantastic! What a creative and dedicated hobby for a kid to have.

I do think armeleia raises a good point though. Some of the photos/photostories here can lean towards 18+ genre. ^__^ I'm undecided on this because while I'm always advocating protecting the innocence of kids so on so forth... I myself was already reading and writing...ahh...certain less than appropriate things when I was 13...and I had quite a bit of 'how old are you???' at certain fandoms... So it would be a bit hypocritical of me to say 12 or 13 year olds shouldn't be seeing certain explicit photos/photostories.

20. I think for adults, or teenagers. Other than that, they are too expensive to give to a younger child. Most young kids will destroy them, and toss them around, perhaps even ruin them.