1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is BJD really just for adults? And adults, what do you think of kids who like them?

Aug 17, 2006

1. It's nice to see a family as well balanced as that! I'm being totally serious. With all the horror stories being told on the news, it's reassuring to know that there are still normal families out there.

PS, I think it's awesome that BJDs turned into a family-wide hobby for you guys.

2. I wouldn't say that BJD's are a strictly adult hobby. However I would say it's a mature hobby. Those of us in the San Diego doll community have had to put guide lines on our meets as a result of immature actions from younger members. However we still very strongly encourage participation from members of all age groups.
      I feel that because many of the photo stories that people do and story lines they create have adult themes, it's important to stress maturity on this forum and in the hobby.
      I know that if I had children of my own and they were interested in the hobby and willing to work at getting their own dolls, I'd be all for having them in it. However I can also say that I would watch and monitor their stories and photos sessions. because while I have no issues with nudity or adult themes, some of the things we do in this hobby can take on a very risky themes and behaviors and I do not feel they are always the most appropriate for children under the age of 16.
      That said, I think you're fine enjoying this hobby and more power to you for being in it with adults and still able to handle situations and subject matter in an appropriate way.

Christal

3. I wouldn't allow a 7 year old a BJD. That wouldn't be appropriate in my opinion.

4. I don't think anyone under 10 should really get into BJDs until they're older because it's more fun to have a bunch of dolls that can interact! I know I would have loved to have a BJD when I was little, but I also know that I would have prefered playing with my huge cast of Barbies in the houses we made them out of blocks. If a mini person has the means of getting one, I's recommend a tiny because the scale is similar to their other toys.

5. I'm inclined to agree, really. I mean, I was pretty mature for my age at 7, but there's no way I would've appreciated a BJD as much as I do now. I used to have a lot of Barbies that I admit I wasn't too careful with - I used to chop their hair and paint their faces and take them in the bath with me and swimming and all sorts of stuff... Because in my opinion, that's what dolls are for at that age: play. And although BJDs are also about play, I think they are about something more too: ART. And I wouldn't want to abuse a work of art like I did my poor Barbies :sweat

Regarding the cost, I admit I'd say BJDs are more suited to adults and teens who can afford the time and of course, money!

6. In our doll meet group, we have a 7yo boy that has his own doll. He is the nephew of one of our members. He is fun to have at the meets and really enjoys everything about all the dolls and I really enjoy having him as part of our group!

7. Wow, a seven-year old boy is one of the last people I would think would be good with a doll! That's really interesting! :)
      What doll does he have?

8. Well I've always taken care of my dolls, such as my porcelin doll Antoinette, and I was just around 5 when I recieved her, I think "some" kids will also appreciate BJDs as much as adults...

Also, I've wanted one for a long time trust me, but I couldn't afford one until just recently when I got my first job (I'm about 1 paycheck away from ordering, *woot*). So I think its all on the individual, some kids really can love and appreciate a bjd just as much as any adult, especially with such innocent hearts, I think they will really love them. <- cheesy, gah >.<;

(I've just turned 16 seven dayz ago btw... So I'm a teen-adult! >_>;)

9. I wouldn't let a 7 year old own one of these things. For health reasons. It's something we don't tend to thing about but... Resin is poisonous... Even the most responsible and mature of 7 year olds I wouldn't trust with one.

It is a mature of maturity, however there are certain things that just physically haven't developed at that point and I don't think handing a young child something that could kill them if they nawed on it is a good idea.

As for the younger people in the hobby that I've run into I've seen two major groups. There's the ones who've save either from odd jobs or birthday money and who really appreciate the dolls. And then there's the ones who may also have saved but who usually get their parents to buy one for them and it's just a part of the goth loli thing.

I'm glad that the majority are in the first catigory. But Almost all the annoying people I've met in this hobby have been younger kids who didn't seem to understand the value that some of these hold and the value of the money and work that goes into them. I'd like to state that this has been the minority, I'm just a bit annoyed it exists.

I'm glad to see more younger people getting into the hobby who do care though. One of my favorite things about the community for this hobby is the wide range of different people in it.

10. I think the fact that people think it's Adult bobbies because only adults can makes that much money to afford such expensive dolls.. i got my first dolll *point at Sachiko* when i turn 18.. just because i want to have it before i'm 18.. i took a big risk and ask my friend to borrow money.. hehhe.. and he lend it to me.. now i'm $100 away from paying him back.. ^^

11. I'm 18, but I wish I'd gotten into this earlier (say 14) because there would be less "you want a doll!?" stigma. Plus back then I was a total saver, but as soon as I turned 16 and got a parttime job I went spend crazy! It was as if I'd never owned clothes before. Lol.

Seriously though, I think it's bound to be that most fans will be older because of the expense. It's the same with miniatures, everybody seems to be way older than I am! :)

12. I think BJDs are a hobby for any age. However, I think younger folk are often less able to participate because of the cost. While there are lots of teenagers (and younger) who are hardworking and creative, and can raise their own funds to buy dolls, accessories, and customization materials, most youths have to rely on parental funding, and I don't know too many parents who can both afford and want to spend large amount on Asian dolls for their children, even as a one-time present.

To those youngsters who have saved money and have entered the hobby on a mature, responsible level, congratulations, and welcome!

13. We'll I'm 27 and YEARS away from having kids, but if they wanted a BJD first they would have to take care of a less costly doll. Once they proved that they would not trash the doll, I'd consider it.

14. Hi,
      my daughter Posy (13 almost 14) and I both collect dolls- not just BJD. Of the Asian types- she has several Classmates and a few 1/6 Volks (which she enjoyed doing the fu on) and she has an Obitsu 60cm .

She is also allowed to 'play' with my own and her sisters- carefully of course.

At this point most of the 'play' is making clothing or accesories and photographing. We enjoy doll meets and shows for all kinds of dolls and have a lot of really stupendous dolly friends- also of all ages.

So no, I do not consider it only an adult hobby. Adults who do might well be missing out on a LOT of fun :)

QZ

15. I really do not think there is an agelimit on this hobby. If you truly fall in love with the dolls, Why Shouldn´t you have one? If you are 6 or 60, it does not matter. If you save for years on end, if you get one as a present, use all your overtime-money or tips to auquire a doll, it is all the same. The important thing is that you enjoy it in the end.

I am actually making a bjd from scratch, and when it is finished, if it becomes beautiful, I will give one to my bf´s brothers daughter, she is only 6, but I think she would love to have a bjd as she is so into all kinds of dolls already. When I was a kid there were no bjds on the market, but I know I would have liked one if they had been, although I never liked the dolls that existed then.

16. I have to agree that there shouldn't be a hard and fast age-limit on having a bjd. If there is one thing being a parent and a teacher has taught me is that kids are all different. People don't seem to have trouble accepting that not all adults are exactly the same, but when it comes to kids there are always assumptions that "all 8 year olds are like this" or "anyone under 10 can't do that". This isn't to say that I think that clubs or forums should be obligated to welcome very young fans. Liability reasons alone make that both unrealistic and undesirable. My own daughter is only 8mos, so we haven't crossed any of these roads with her yet, :sweat

17. :ablink: how about on the OPPOSITE end of the spectrum? LOL THere are people who are constantly telling me that i'm TOO OLD to collect BJD's. EVEN OTHER DOLL OWNERS have said this to me before. :o
      <============= is 31

But i don't care. I still collect, and as far as things go right now, i have no intention of stopping.

18. I think when you're old enough to appreciate the cost of a BJD - the monetary value of a BJD - then you're old enough to own one. That's my opinion. If you understand the value of a dollar and how much a BJD costs, then you aren't likely to behave in an immature fashion around them.

19. I haven't even gotten up to my sweet 16 (like I'll have one anyway) yet, but it's not really so that you should base it off of age, but maturity. It's just what I think.

20. I'm into miniatures and historical reenacting along with dolls, and I've gotten weird looks for being a kid at it. I joined the miniatures club when I was... 14 or 15, I think. When I told the president over the phone that I'd need to get a ride from my mom, she sounded all concerned. She thought I was in a wheelchair or something, not underage. And to make all those older people more concerned when I walk in a room... I'm an extra tall punky gothy thing.