1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Haggling A No-No?

Dec 3, 2010

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Sorta

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Do you believe haggling about the price of a doll a person is selling you second hand is a no-no? Obviously this would be if they hadn't stipulated whether the price is set or not.

I ask this because I'm interested in a doll on the marketplace, but this person has hugely inflated the price when there are some things that should have lowered it.

I won't give you details, which I know makes it hard to form a specific opinion about my situation, but I just want to know in general.

Is haggling a no-no?

2. If the price is non-negotiable, the seller should say so. Otherwise, I'd assume it's safe to make a fair offer.

3. Well, I know in certain countries if you don't try to haggle and bargain for a lower price; it's shameful. It shows superiority that shouldn't be there. Then again, I'm sure that this is one of those 'depends on the circumstance' type deals. I know if I were to ever sell my doll, I'd put it at a reasonable price so no haggling would really be needed. Other people may not have this approach and seem to inflate the prices by great lump sums of money. Approaching the seller with the idea of a bargain might not be that bad of a deal. If you go about it in a way that doesn't seem like you are pestering and just genuinely curious if the doll's price may be lowerable, than I find that okay. If you are pestering and keep on pushing the subject of lowering prices, than that is just rude. Take no as an answer. But keep in mind that bargaining can be friendly if you do it right! (:

4. Look at the post and see if it states that they are open to discussing the price. If they tagged their price as "firm" I would leave it alone.

If you can't tell HOW they feel about their price from their post then send them a message. Be polite and say "Hi, I love your doll. I would like to offer you xxx for him/her." Don't bring up the flaws or whatever you believe makes the doll worth less. Just your offer with a nice thank you and that is all.

Making an offer is not "haggling". Just be respectful and don't low ball them to the point of insult.

5. As a Dutch girl I'd say Haggling is a sport and as such makes ANY transaction more exciting and enjoyable!

However, I WOULD respect a note that says "price and shipping firm" and move on. Specially if I feel the price is not realistic!

6. No it isn't haggle away.

In any venue when you are buying a used item the price is an just an opinion of what they want. Negotiating happens in Real Estate, yard sales, and even Ebay has best offer. If a pristine new doll is selling for $400, and the one you are thinking about is used then it should be less. Find one that has sold and tell her the going rate for a used doll with some issues.

Good luck, and negotiate away!!

7. There is no harm in making an offer, the worst the seller has to do is say NO. i usually haggle, and when i sell I allow some wiggle room on my price, i'll go down a bit and take any reasonable offer

8. The new marketplace allows buyers to know if sellers will tolerate haggling. That choice should be respected. If they've selected 'firm', it's your choice to take it or leave it. Haggling is rude after the seller already showed they didn't want it.

Edit: If they didn't mark the price as 'firm' you are well within your rights to try for a lower price, but talking about flaws on the doll is risky business. Offend the seller too much and you'll end up with nothing.

If the damage was chips for example, and the seller had mentioned it in the thread, you could mention this and request a lower price. If however you just think the doll's face up is ugly, it's up to you to wipe the doll when you get it, but you could request a lower price without mentioning that you hate the face up they gave the doll :p

9. Yes, I stated in my post that this would only apply if the seller hadn't stipulated whether they were firm on the price or not. ^_^
      We should all be polite!

10. My bad for scan reading ^^;

I'll go back and edit to answer the question you actually asked!!

11. normally, i'd say it is a no-no
      but in happens that some owner overprice their doll. it has an unfinished mod and not all that amazing anyway, it has a lot of scratches, yellowed considerably, etc...
      in those occasion, I think someone should tell the seller to lower the price :/

12. If it doesn't say either way, then I don't think it hurts to ask politely if they would take a lower offer. However, once the seller has made it clear that the price is set, then haggling definitely becomes a no-no. I think it also depends a little on how the doll is priced to begin with too -- if it's already been greatly discounted, asking for more off may not seem right.

I disagree with that -- if they want to politely make an offer that's one thing, but no one should go around telling sellers to lower their prices. They're allowed to charge whatever they like as the doll is theirs just as buyers are free not to buy if they think the price is too high. Overpricing isn't a crime, it's just not a great way to get your doll sold.

13. No sweat! I just wanted everyone to know I'm not rude lol!

14. As has been said already, if the seller has not specifically stated that their price is non-negotiable, making a reasonable offer isn't an issue. As long as you are polite about it, one of two things will happen: the other party will tell you no and that will be that, or they will give you a counter-offer and that will open up for further discussion of a price.

As long as you look in to the fair market price of what you are offering on, and offer based on your findings, most people who are willing to haggle are very, very reasonable.

15. Hmm, it would depend on the situation. For example, if I am selling a rare LE for more than I paid then I'd not be adverse to someone politely offering a reasonable amount less. On the other hand, if someone tries to offer less on a brand-new condition doll that I am already selling at $200 less than retail/what I paid, I will be annoyed. So I try to keep in mind the golden rule.

But haggling is not really the same as simple offering a lower price and seeing if the seller will accept, I don't think. I believe there is more back-and-forth negotiating in haggling? Honestly, I have never liked haggling, it seems awkward and uncomfortable to me. I like things straightforward I guess. That is just me though, and where I live the only place I've ever even seen haggling is at the flea market/garage sales.

haggle (courtesy of dictionary.com)
      1. to bargain in a petty, quibbling, and often contentious manner: They spent hours haggling over the price of fish.
      2. to wrangle, dispute, or cavil: The senators haggled interminably over the proposed bill.

16. As long as you are careful to be very polite and try not to offend the seller, and the thread isnt marked "firm" i see no reason making an offer wouldnt be ok. Here in the US we are used to fixed prices but when I list i allow some room for the doll to go down, so if it doesnt sell I can lower the price until I list it as "firm". If the offer is too low you can negotiate, etc also so you get a sale and they feel like they get a bargain. everyone wins :) I have bought some dolls this way, and I think it adds to the fun of the transaction a bit. Everyone like to feel like they got a good deal, so the seller and buyer can both be happy in the situation.

17. My dad knows the ins and outs of bargaining. He's done it a lot on my behalf, and we've come away with stuff for a lower price. If you have the guts, and the skill, try it out.

However, I think that there's a time and a place for it. I haven't done it by myself, but if I happened to see an older thread (maybe dated a few months ago?) and the seller still wanted to sell...bargaining might be in order. After all, they've had this thread up for months, so that signals to me that they REALLY want to sell. And if they really want to sell, and it's taking a long time for a nibble, I think that I'm in a good position to lower the price.

A new thread is too risky. I don't have any idea how many other people are contacting the seller, so me trying to lower the price might not be as welcome as someone willing to pay what the seller asks.

I don't know if the set price would matter as much in an older thread. After all - as I said - if the seller posted the thread since May, for instance, and still really want to sell, they may be willing to veto the set price, too.

18. I've back and forth negotiated where I've felt it was appropriate--sometimes it's about shipping (Question: Can you sell it at this price but include shipping? Response: Sure, but I'll ship her unstrung in a smaller box.)

It just seems like part of the marketplace process.

19. I agree with writerm, if a post is many months old and the doll or item is still for sale, then making an objective offer should be your goal. By that I mean, look up the price of the doll new, include the price of shipping it from Asia, look at the price that is being asked, and finally come up with a number that is comfortable. If it your offer makes you think, "ooo, I'm being kind of cheap there," then you probably are, don't make that offer.

20. I've negotiated, but I don't think it's good to be taking HUGE chunks of money off of what they're asking for.
      And if they SAY 'non-negotiable' then it's a tad bit rude to just go do it anyways. I always check the thread to see if it's firm or not, and if it isn't I'll try asking for a slightly lowered price. I try not to be unfair about it, though.