1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is having a doll without a faceup normal?

Oct 20, 2010

1. I think there are really dome doll owners who just intentionally have their dolls without face-up
      though for me I think this shape their personalities and own characters I like to instilled in them
      plus face-up enhance their beauty and the creativity of the artist too! ^^ sweet!

2. Mine go with face-ups, I enjoy painting them and re-painting. I find it how I learn the contours of their face; to veiw it blank in every light and shade, then to go over with a brush and pick parts out to blush and give an expression to. One of mine has a factory face-up, because I didn't and still don't think I could paint a Kamau effectivly.

I had such a hard time with my Sabik, for that reason. His face has so many contours, while I'm okay with the face I gave him for now I still think I fail to do him justice; the potential in those blank details is just immense.

I guess my original point to stay on-topic should have been; Perhapse no, it is not normal to forego a face-up. Nothing wrong in doing so, though- just lends them a different kind of charm.

3. There are some molds that just look stunning without a faceup. Honestly, there are a few dolls that I have seen that if I were to own them I would have a very difficult time getting myself to paint them for fear of detracting from the beauty of the unpainted sculpt.

Edit: (guess I should answer the OP's question directly, eh? XD)

I suppose it's not exactly normal to keep a faceup-less doll, for the simple fact that most of them gain so much personality and individuality from their faceups, but I am not bothered by it one bit.

4. I think that if you buy a doll for the sole purpose of displaying it naked, without either eyes, wig and face up, that could be pretty cool, just showing the basic doll as the piece of art i is. That could be really cool.

But just keeping a doll without face up? No. Personally, I don't like to look at faceless dolls at all. Most of the dolls personality is in the face, I think. The mood, the style, everything. My boy has been without face for about six months and I have noticed that he doesn't get as much attention as my other dolls because of this. He isn't finished and he looks a bit off. I never upload pics of him because I don't want to bore people with an unfinished doll that isn't moving forward in its progress.

Also, I am one of those boring, narrow minded persons who really resents looking at multiple pictures of a faceless doll that has just been taken out of the box. Fine, two-three after the opening of the box just to show which sculpt it is and maybe show the wig, eyes and posability or whatever feels imortant. But 10-20 pictures of just the nude, faceless doll are boring for me to watch, however much I understand that the owner must love his/her new doll.

5. All of my dolls have faceups and need them to feel like my own.

But if someone wanted a doll without a face, though I might find it odd, it wouldn't bother me. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want with their doll. When I first got my OT 1/6 Obitsu, I just stares at him...and considered not giving him a faceup because I was afraid it would detract from his beauty (though I did end up doing it so he'd actually HAVE a face. lol) When I got Amir, my first resin.....I thought he looked like an alien with no face. LOL So he got a faceup by me, even though I had NO clue what I was doing and it was so basic is barely even counted as a faceup.

6. Having dolls without face-ups are normal for some people, sure. Personally, I love dolls with face-ups and would prefer to buy them with it already done as long as it fit my aesthetic preferences. My MD Miho who has a face-up can look angry, intense, sad, and neutral with different angles and lighting. That is the type of face-up that really impresses me. I also like to have my dolls painted by different people because it makes them unique from each other :)

7. I had hesitated about giving a doll a face-up once, and thought about maybe keeping it face-up-less. It was due to the sculpt's unbelievable beauty in the blanc state. After all, I did give him a face-up, and I don't regret it - he still looks as pure and beautiful to me as before. It all depends on the kind of face-up one chooses, almost every purpose that a blanc doll serves, a face-upped in the right way doll can serve, too.

8. I can imagine many settings for making pictures, where a faceless doll would be really useful.
      Also I actually like seeing pictures of faceless dolls very much. A face-up can say a lot and can vary from each person looking at the blank doll. You can see a doll's potential character without face-up. ^^

9. For me, it would be 100% worthless to keep a doll around without a face-up. When I get a blank head, I keep them hidden away until I have a chance to send them off to an artist. However, I've seen some great artistic photographs of dolls without face-ups. I think if someone is skilled enough, they can make it work! Also, this look seems to work better with some sculpts than others.

10. All my dolls except one have face ups. The one without is made of luminous french resin, and is a tiny doll with very fine features- he has had a face up before, but I much prefer him without one- the face up overwhelmed his sculpt :)

11. I have one doll without a face-up. He was custom dyed black and after getting him home, instead of getting him a face up as I'd originally planned, I left him blank and only installed wickedly long eyelashes on him. He looks spectacular just the way he is in my opinion.

All of my other dolls have face-ups. I have bought some blank, but only because I intended for them to have custom face-ups and wasn't going to pay for a face-up that I'd have wiped within a week or two.

12. To me, it depends on what the doll is representing. If it's supposed to be a definite human (or human-plus-fantasy bits), then a faceup brings out that humanity. But if a doll is to represent a more abstract essence, then unembellished might be the perfect way to go. For example, I can't imagine Zag's striking angels being improved by earthy colors and beauty marks.

And what do you mean by "faceup" and "normal" in the same sentence? There are human-natural faceups, beauty/fashion queen faceups, drag queen faceups, minimalist faceups, faceups without eyebrows, faceups without any attempt at natural eyes or lashes but broad bands of color across the face, unnaturally colored faceups, scarred and/or freshly-wounded faceups. To name a few on the continuum between fully human-natural painted down to unadorned resin.

And then there are dolls with heavily blushed and colored faces, but that have bodies untouched by any color anywhere. Which section of the "normal" spectrum should they be put on?

I feel that this is another of those matters to which my answer is "it's all good". It's whatever suits your artistic purpose or your unverbalized impulses. It's all "normal"!

13. Is it normal? Yes. Is it average? No.

14. I am terrified of painting my soom appini dreaming head-she's so white-(a big mistake on my part) and I just think I would ruin her, so I've left her blank.

And yet-I repaint my bobobie tinies, doll factory conie, and dollzone leo constantly. I have confidence (the proper brushes helps) as well as a decent amount of skill. sometimes they go blank, but never for long.

15. Some sculpts I think look beautiful without faceups, and from a photography point of view, you can do some really artistic things. I've kept dolls without faceups for a while (a few months+) but right now all my boys have faceups. Because... I like doing faceups. Haha.

16. One of my first dolls had a very expressive face even without a faceup and I left her that way for about six or seven months... but in the end, I decided to give her a faceup anyway.

Having faceups seems to be much more common than keeping the face blank.

17. While I think that some sculpts are really beautiful without face-ups I would never want a doll without make-up floating around here.

18. I currently have one doll without a face up, I'm hoping to try a face up myself in the future and it will be on her. However having heard that the sealant spray is toxic and that you need a proper gas mask it kind of puts me off.

19. I usually wait before chosing amake-up for a doll, because I have to be sure of the character she will be before (I'm not good enough to made the faceup myself), so some of my dolls didn't have any make-up for some months.

20. Personally I would never keep a doll faceup-less. A human character without eyebrows or eyelashes looks like a chemo patient. I probably wouldn't find it as strange on a fantasy character though. For others, they can do what they want, but they shouldn't flip out if others ask when they will be painted, because others probably just assume it's unfinished rather than purposeful.