1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is having a doll without a faceup normal?

Oct 20, 2010

1. I think it depends on the sculpt to me... like i'd never want and open mouth dolls to be without a face up cause it's be a little too odd looking. Still there are sculpts out there that wouldn't be so bad off without it. Just like real people some look better with make up and some with out it.

2. I personally find them incomplete. Especially the ones in pure white colour. I think its better to experiment and try doing a faceup on them. Its more creative and for me a bjd with a pure blank face looks like an empty canvas. It looks really emotionless and unnatural. :(

3. I don`t like dolls withount face up.
      The ability to make face up means you may make your doll individual, to give it any temper and emotion you like.
      Why to bypass that opportunity?

4. The entire reason I got into the BJD community was because I was/am a "faceup" artist for non-BJD.
      So naturally all my dolls will have faceups that I will do myself.

I don't mind seeing dolls without faceups, however it feels like the doll is always "unfinished" in a way.

5. I think it can also depend on the resin colour whether or not a face-upless sculpt works well and doesn't come off as just a blank doll. Black resin is very striking and because it is so dark, most normal face-up colours won't show up well or will look odd against the resin. Most black resin (or dyed black resin) dolls I've seen have white or light grey as their face-up colours as that's generally what shows up the best, which is a little limiting. Black resin can also create dramatic shadows that give the illusion of a doll having features like eyebrows.

This is Dak and aside from eyelashes, he has nothing painted on his face, which is something people tend not to realize when they first see him. I took him to the Dollism con this past September and most people who saw him were actually surprised when I pointed out that he wasn't painted.
      [​IMG]

6. I'm not a huge fan of dolls without faceups, but if your doll can rock it? flaunt it.

7. Someone - I think it's Stella Maris - has a Twiglings in obsidian that was just breathtaking without a faceup. I don't know if she left her blank, but I couldn't imagine her being any more stunning with a faceup than without. (Equally, but not more so.)

8. I think makeup is necessary. Because most of real men and women has eyebrow, eyelash and lip color.

9. (Sorry I misspelled the heading)

I am new to the BJD community and still learning. Although I have seen some amazing exotics, what I am currently most interested in for myself is a realistic doll. I think my ideal would be a hybrid (good posing ability...realistic head). If I can get a blank head, I would want to do the face up myself. For myself, I could imagine keeping the doll with a very minimal face up until I made a final decision about the look I wanted, but never keep it blank.

I will try to find some examples of blanks in the gallery to see how they strike me. But my notion is that for me, with a realistic sculpt, a blank would be too disturbing.

Of course, that said, the decisions about the look of your own BJD are very subjective. If you like it, go for it.

10. :XD: the only way it without face up for me, is when it waiting for me to get my self together and send it off to get one >.>

11. Nope... but I did see people posing dolls without face-up and are still very lovely~~ Some sculpts are just cute as they are ^_^ but I do prefer faceup to show more expression on their faces

12. For me, I don't really understand dolls without some kind of faceup...
      We as humans have color to our face. It just really bothers me when dolls are blank (no offense! :c) because I feel like something's missing. I feel like there should be something..."more" to the face rather than the simple skin color their whole body is covered in.

13. My doll doesn't have a face up nor do I plan on getting him one. In my eyes he's handsome and amazing without it, plus he's a Drow Mage and it wouldn't suit his character. If I add anything it would be eyebrows and that would be it.

14. 'Normal' is relative. A lot of BJD already look stunning without a face-up so I could understand why someone would be fine with leaving them blank. I prefer a natural and mild face-up on my BJD. I don't want them to look like they've just been through a 5-hour make-up session. The 'just-out-of-bed' look with some eyeliner here and there works fine for me so it should be enough for my BJD as well. ;)

15. The "just-out-of-bed" faceup sounds so adorable!!! I think I should try that on my next doll :D

16. All my dolls have faceups, custom or default... But I can for sure imagine keeping a doll blank which is very stylized. Like DC girls, I could appreciate them as a piece of art when blank.

17. I don't like dolls without faceup and All my dolls had it... Before last spring when I got a little Ada (DollChateau). I can't make myself to put even a drop of color onto her face because it is excellent and completely ideal without faceup. I really can't =_=

18. I like my dolls to have a face up on at all times, to me its part of their esthetic. But im sure there's people that keep them that way bc they love their face sculpt

19. I think faceup makes the character so I love having faceup!

20. I think they show off the sculpt better, but I personally don't want a faceup-less doll. (Says the woman who JUST came inside from a preliminary sealant-spray.)