1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is having a doll without a faceup normal?

Oct 20, 2010

1. My sweet little Rex (5 Star 1/6 Rex) still has no faceup after almost 4 years. It bothers me that he is incomplete. I finally have his clothing, shoes and wig, so all he needs is a face. I still love him even with no face, because he is such a sweet sculpt. Fortunately I have a friend who is going to do the faceup for me after the first of the year.

I have blank heads and they look nothing like the pics of the finished dolls who have faceups. I think the faceups give them life and personality. Without it, they are just blank and boring.

2. . . .well so much for THAT. XD I had a floating head in a jar sans-faceup for months--thought I was going to sell it, then decided to mod it as a last-ditch bonding attempt. (Bonding by modding was super successful, FYI.) But still. Creepy blank head sitting creepily in a creepy jar.

3. I'd thought about it a couple of times but blank heads just look a little too blank. I count on the face up to add shadows and variations to the head. With it blank the heads just look too plain all one color.

4. No matter how beautiful the sculpts is I defiantly prefer dolls with faceups as without them I feel as if they have no life and look really dull and boring.

5. Maybe you should set out the creepy-head-jar as a decoration Saturday night? :P

6. That's not a bad idea. . . save for the fact that I've actually had the jar with her head in it out for all to see the whole time I've had her. XD

7. A face up adds character before the paint i think they look very similar. I guess their clothes will give an idea about their personality but for me the face up really holds the dolls character.

8. I would like to do a face up myself but i lack certain supplies and a perfect reference to use. I rather not send it off to someone because I already have some pastels for the purpose of making a face up. So now I wait.

9. yes me too CeeKay :XD: When I started out a few years ago with bjd I vowed never to buy a blank doll - I have no skills and don't want to send away either. But I've had so many dolls with default faceup I don't like, I started buying blank ones - and found I love them just as much - they still have a unique personality and character just the same to me. But the longer I have them blank, I know the weirder they will look when I eventually get them painted - I won't recognise them any more! *_*

10. I don't know about 'normal' (I doubt it exists in the doll world), it is useful if you have conflicting ideas about the age of a sculpt. My pukifee has no face up because she is used both as a toddler and a 3/4 year old and painting eyebrows that go with a bald head ain't that easy to achieve. Her sleeping face has a face up which matches her only wig.

11. I personally prefer face-ups because I think they give definition to a sculpt. However, I find certain blank sculpts very beautiful, and I do think character comes through regardless.

12. I say, to each their own. I prefer them with a face up. Which is kinda funny because I rarely wear make up.
      I've seen some blank that just look like they should be blank. They're just kind of pretty, but some just look like a mannequin so it showcases there clothes more.

13. Some dolls (usually, Dollshe 28M) are sculpted so nicely that I don't mind having them blank. But, really, it's a preference. Some people like it painted, some like it blank. The question whether it's normal or not rely on someone. Does the person prefer it blank and consider it normal that way? Then, it's normal for that person even though others (who prefer it painted) don't find that normal at all. This hobby, (I think) is very subjective in that way.