1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

is having RL doll friends important to you?

Jun 11, 2010

?
  1. yes

2. no

3. indifferent (i don't really have any feelings on the subject)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I was in the hobby a long time before any of my friends were. In fact one of my friends was even scared of my doll for awhile. My sisters and a couple of my friends have their own dolls now, but we don't sit and talk alot about dolls usually. I still do a lot of doll things on my own though I do like having friends to take photos with. But having friends is fun and I've actually found people who are into dolls in a lot of places unrelated to dolls.

2. Sure, it would be fun but it's not important to me. I don't have many RL friends who share the same interests that I do. It's good enough that there are forums like DOA where I can share my dolly photos and yack on about dolls whenever I want to. ;)

3. yES, because i'm alone and internet is only mathod for talk of my dolls

4. I think its just more fun that way. I like to meet other peoples dolls, and other doll people. if you leave this part of the hobby out i think you missing a lot.

5. Yes, it's very important to me. I even can't describe how much this means to me.

I take this hobby as a social thing, I love to go to the meetups and to meet my friends and their dolls IRL. I also do occasional faceup commissions with one condition: the owner sits beside me and looks what I'm doing with his/her doll! That's because I want the faceup to be very special to the owner, so he/she can take an active part in its creation.

Of course, I'm lucky to live in a huge city so we have a rather large BJD community here, and it grows fast.

6. I opted for no, because this is actually a hobby I've found I enjoy immensely purely on my own terms :D I share a lot of other hobbies with my friends (music, literature, fashion etc) and though it's a lot of fun talking about it, when it comes to creativity and making stuff up, I am such a loner. I enjoy sitting down with my own thoughts, my own designs and my own time to do all that. While taking pictures etc I don't even like to have other people in the house, much less someone who would be a part of dictating how to do it.
      When I am alone about it I don't feel the strain of someone judging my choices ^^

I did have a irl doll friend (not pure doll friend, she was just into them like I was) but she grew tired pretty easily and I am the only one remaining. I wouldn't mind going to meet ups, though, just to look at all the pretty and goof off for a while. But beyond that? Nah, I am a lonely hobbyist xD

7. I do not think it is absolutely necessary to have friends in the community but I find it personally important as I really talk to be able to talk about it with someone I know.
      I made some friends because of this hobby and I just feel it is easier to talk to someone about something as "weird" as a doll when that person also likes them ^___^
      Its just so much more fun when you have someones else's opinion about them =D
      I wish I had more friends that lived close to my house and were my age though....
      I really want to go out with people that do not find it weird when I stop everywhere saying "OH! That could work well for [...] or to do [...]!!!"

It actually is the only hobby I found I can really talk about with others, all my other hobbies are not as "friendly" and its fun to finally have other people like what I like and more not just some crazy fans that only talk about one thing and stop after a few days xP

8. I have two RL doll friends, and they were both skeptics who I converted :)

9. I was converted into the world of BJDs by my best friend. And while we don't live in the same state, we send pictures back and forth when we have a night talking about the dolls and comparing outfits and our wishlists. I think it makes it more fun to have someone who's interested in the same thing. Plus, all the more fun for swapping clothes and accessories too! :^D

10. I selected yes mostly because I want to make friends that are into bjds, because I think the community around a hobby greatly influences how much you enjoy it. Not that you can't love your bjds without RL dollie friends, but it does help a lot. Currently the only RL person I have to talk to about the hobby is by fiancee who, like Anneke's husband, is just humoring me:|.
      I would love to go to some of the meet ups, but I can't seem to find anywhere close enough.

11. RL dolls friends are very important to me, I'm sociable and pretty excitable so not having someone to share all this with would kill me! My sis and best friend are into the hobby and we're always swapping ideas, clothes and even buying each other dolls.

12. my friends are the ones that got me back into bjd's in the first place xD it's nice having friends you can talk to and seek advice with. It's also nice to have friends you can meetup with close by and have like play time xD so yeah it's kinda important to me to have friends into bjds with me cause it also makes me more comfortable to handle dolls

13. My doll friends are seriously like the nicest people I know. I don't have a lot of friends and a lot of the girls in my lolita group I either have problems with them because I knew them awhile ago, or they seem to come off as fake. But my doll friends are all really nice to me and they are all so cool. No one is mean to me, and we usually hang out until 11 or 12pm (the monthly meet-ups start at 7pm). No one is really mean to anyone. I know a few people have been rude about other people's dolls, but it's really rare and usually those people are not regulars.

14. I WISH! my friends would like to know about dolls, but they don't have enough money to get one, so that ruins that. but i AM young, so there is some time to find people like me.

15. Yes, it is important to me. I like having friends that share my interests so that I have someone to share with, someone to squeal over things with, someone to help me out when I absolutely can't figure out what I'm doing, and someone to bounce ideas off of. It's fun to talk about things, but I like to be able to spend time together, swap wigs or clothes for fun, and get tangible help with doll projects. For example, if I didn't have doll friends in real life my dolls would always have crooked eyes--I haven't mastered it myself, but I have a friend who is super-quick at adjusting eyes properly. I appreciate their company and companionship.

16. e3e)" It is, but isn't, important to me. Personally, I can deal with just knowing that there's an online community that I can always look back to, but it's a bit... unhealthy? Not saying it is, but most hobbies that deal with collecting (of sorts) they usually, and literally, take you places. And that's something that I like to see.

Even with TV shows, books, and trading card/figure games, there are usually events centered around them that allow for people to get out and meet others that enjoy what they're into.

That's why I'd love to meet other doll owners on Terra firma instead of cyberspace :P Even if I meet them on the net, I'd still like to put RL face to icon/avatar.

(I've also brought some friends slightly into the hobby, but I think there's a difference between that and having a friend who you could consider a 'dollie veteran' XD" )

17. Yes, because when I buy (or about to buy) a new doll I get obsessed with dolls (for a little while) and i really need to talk about them with someone and it would just be really lonely to not have any of my friends to talk about dolls with. Also it takes me a while to upload pictures of my dolls so I would like to hear someone else opinion on my new doll(s)

18. Yes and no.
      I'm lucky enough to have a really awesome and active group of bjd owners in the maritime area, especially in my hometown. My room mate and I both collect bjd's and I have a couple other extremely good friends in the hobby. I think it's more that the friends are important to me, and it's an added bonus that they're into dolls on top of things.

If they all quit the bjd hobby tomorrow though, I don't think that would influence my liking this hobby, though it would be downer!

19. Well, my best friend got me into the dolls and I actually like knowing that she can help me with them. Both of our scheduels are a little hecktic, but she somehow finds time to help me sew, paint, or just over-all maintence of my dolls and show me how to take care of them. So I think yes, its important to me.

20. I need some friends around here that are into dolls! D: It is a lonely hobby. But luckily, i'm moving and the area i'm moving to has a couple DoA people. X3