1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Creepy?

Jan 9, 2018

1. Alot of people casually say my dolls are scary, some say they are cute and pretty! But i do have an otaku male friend who collect a lot sexy figurine! I hate it cos every time he see my dolls, he call them nitemare! But he like DD cos maybe they dont look realistic! I wont force any of my friends to like them tho, bt i wont hide it from anyone! :)

2. some of my friends dont understand me, but i dont care. if i like this hobby this is just my own deal how much money i spend on my doll, and what im doing :-)

3. My husband thinks they're creepy, and a friend has "casually" commented that my liking dolls is "about right", since I'm a mature woman without children. "You're just shunting the mothering instinct."

It sucks that they can't appreciate them as art but you can't please everyone, and I'm altogether done hiding the things I like for others' comfort.

4. That sounds really ridiculous... :)

5. I could almost understand the "mothering instinct" comment if Idyllhands had life-size baby dolls, but I doubt that's the case. Judging, judging. I'd love to see more neutral responses from non-collectors. Maybe it'll take a celebrity sharing their bjds in the media to soften the judgment.

6. The mothering instinct being related to dolls has got to be mostly a misconception--unless people think keeping their kids safe away from light in boxes (which some owners do), or in dark rooms on shelves, is a maternal behavior! :?

I've got tons of dolls and am not maternal at all. I like kids well enough and could... possibly... take care of one... but that's totally unrelated to me having dolls. (Having a dog is closer to having kids--you have to train it and feed it and take it to doctors and make sure it's getting exercise and enough attention and basically taking care of it all the time. Dolls are not like that at all!)

Plus, most all my dolls are mature! --I've never been a fan of baby dolls, even when I was little.

7. My boyfriend was kind of freaked out at the beginning, but he has grown used to them.
      He said it all went back to childhood. His grandma was an avid collector of porcelain dolls.
      She had cabinets all lined up in her living room full of porcelain dolls.
      He said that he always felt like they were watching him when he was little. :lol:

He seems to like my dolls anymore. He even helps me find nice things for them.
      I don't think I've had anyone else call them creepy really.
      My brother jokes about it and gives me a rough time just because he likes to tease me.
      Overall, everyone I know is pretty supportive of my hobbies. :XD:

I have to say I do find some of those robots on the uncanny valley wiki page to be kind of creepy.
      Terrible as it sounds.

8. Yeah, I'm not getting an Uncanny Valley robot anytime soon! :nowords:
      (As if, huh?)

9. I think it's cause how dolls play a role in horror movies that people have this generaliztion for bjds

10. My brother calls me weird or just shakes his head when he sees I have Miku sitting on my lap or I have changed her clothes. Since I just started and have only Miku with another coming my brother and one coworker knows. The coworker thinks she's cool though.

11. Okay, yeah, this topic is totally on point, lol. I used to be able to laugh it off, and I do try to respect people who have a legitimate fear of dolls rather than just making a big deal out of it to make me feel bad, but it's gotten to the point where I'm seriously tired of these jokes. I can't even pretend to laugh it off, it's flat out annoying. If you don't like my dolls don't say anything to me about it, in fact, avoid them, and avoid me, I don't want to deal with your whiny butt because you can't deal with the fact that I enjoy doing things with bjds. I've noticed that a lot of people who complain either do it to belittle you(a sibling? a family member who doesn't approve of the collecting?) or someone who doesn't even deal with them.(A friend who doesn't come over often? a worker who needs to come inside the house? these especially annoy me because they certainly don't need to make a comment.)

12. I think that's pretty insensitive of her to do this. I mean, it's like you get it the first time, she doesn't need to do it on every picture of your dolls. I think you should politely ask her to stop, maybe even tell her that it kind of hurts your feelings because this is a hobby you enjoy. I'd certainly tell her off or block her because that would be exhausting to deal with.

13. Beware of people with very poor boundaries. One friend wanted to reshape me in her image. She wanted to redo me, my home and scowl me out of the doll hobby. It didn't work. I did get rid of one thing, though.:3nodding:

14. I'll be honest, I'm deathly afraid of Marionettes, String Puppets, and Animatronics. It always has been creepy to me. Owning my two dolls is kind of pushing it, but since I collect figures, it kind of dulled my fear and I've accepted that they're more gorgeous than being creepy.

It didn't help that one ride at Disney, It's a Small World, is absolutely one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had. The song still rings through my head and gives me nightmares.

15. @Jozle I am sorry about your phobia. I hope this year is better for you.

16. mom finds it creepy but she doesn't get creeped out by our religious sculpture that stares directly into your soul o(-<

17. I know the doll eyes follow me, much like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre does. It isn't creepy at all for me. Do they have a soul? Are they alive? Who cares? I'm old. I have seen the horrors of real life with human beings. Bury me with my creepy doll.
      On a side note, I did prick my finger and a couple drops of blood fell on a doll, and inwardly I cringed. :aeyepop:

#57 Csiminae, Feb 8, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    18. Not bothered too much about people finding dolls creepy. I can empathize with their discomfort. If I encounter folks that are uncomfortable and vocal about it - I don't bother bringing up the topic with them. Instead I focus on sharing my hobby with folks that are fascinated and interested. Hence - happy to have found DoA and made some awesome friends through the forum. :thumbup

19. Felt like i had to share as a new bjd collector,
      I used to get creeped out with my life size mannequin when i dressed it in some clothes that showed a very human like silhouette, but slowly i got used to it... but that same strange feeling came bk to me today.

So today after reading some things about my doll, I discovered she could stand by herself. I tried doing just that with her huge platform shoes; she stood perfectly upright without a support or stand. (Also with heeled feet. Peakswood, you rock)
      While I was impressed after taking a picture of her, I finally realized how uncanny she was to a little human...
      and let's just say I got a little creeped out.

Many of my friends kept saying she was creepy but I didnt see it at all (at first)
      I also awoke from sleeping at night.
      This was the first time I ever displayed her on my desk since she got some new clothes, and I guess I was a little shook seeing her there. Hopefully I will get used to it.

I never really watched any movies with dolls but i just feel their resemblance to humans is really peculiar. I just dont like the ominous feeling of someone being there yet not.

How did you guys feel the first time getting your doll?

#59 Nyakokat, Feb 9, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    20. Personally I'll never understand this "uncanny valley" stuff... To me, the more realistic the doll is the better. If it looks like it can get up and walk away any minute — totally cool!
      When others call my hobby creepy, I just shrug and ignore them. We're a bunch of weirdos for most "normal people", so I guess eventually we end up developing an immunity against such rude comments.