1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Creepy?

Jan 9, 2018

1. Honestly, I really love my dolls, BUT, when they are out of their boxes and stay in my room on my library, I really dislike when they look at me (My library is in front of my bed). I don't know why, and it's a little bit stupid. xD that just make me inconfortable. When I'm going to sleep I turn them on another direction xD. So, I guess I like my dolls but at the same time they creep me out a little. :lol:

2. @Taiyou-San Hmmmm. Maybe try doll sunglasses? Or, if possible, sleeping faceplates? I use a sleeping faceplate with a book in the bjd's lap - it looks like it's reading. Best of luck!

3. It's ok when they don't stare at me directly, when I turn them I can sleep in peace. xD Annd, most of the time they are in their boxes. When they are outside, this is just for few day, the time I take for prepare and photographs them. ;)

4. everyone I know thinks it's creepy except my husband, his mom, and one friend who doesn't collect them but is supportive. I'm pretty used to it and I just don't really care XD More dolls for me!

5. An awful lot of people find realistic dolls creepy. That's fine - as long as they don't CONTINUALLY hammer me over the head w/it. I'm terrified of spiders, my oldest hates clowns. It's human nature. Finding dolls creepy is NOT being 'unsupportive' BTW

6. I've never been bothered when people say dolls are creepy. I know there are things I find creepy that others find great beauty in. Nothing to take personally, everyone had different tastes and dislikes.

... unless that person is right in my face about it and won't drop the issue, then yeah I'll start to get a pinch annoyed.

7. I think most people don’t understand doll people. My children are pretty bewildered by my hobby.

8. I'm kind of a loner so don't have many people judging me. My daughter (11 years old) likes BJDs. My son (12) thinks they're creepy. GF doesn't really appreciate them but I don't think she necessarily thinks they're creepy. But she does think it's weird that a 43 year old man is into them, which I can (kind of) understand I guess. I suspect some of you may too!

9. Someone told me:!it's a creepy hobby. I laughed. They are only beautiful and artistic dolls. If people don’t understand, this is not my problem;)

10. Clowns are legitimately creepy. :lol:

While some people do find dolls creepy, I think (IMO) that it's more of a cliche or habit of thought. It's such a common trope that people just use the phrase automatically without thinking about it much.

11. Oh the tangled web our psyche's weave.... I once had a friend who collected those antique Victorian porcelain dolls and I found it a bit "creepy". I was too polite to say anything but would smile politely when she talked about her hobby and shift the conversation. 30 years on and I have a sudden urge to look her up and apologize. I watched a Denaliwind (sp?) video on YouTube the other night and she said something about how the doll she just received was "comfortable and felt like 'home'" when she arrived. A year ago I would have found that slightly creepy if I'd seen it out of context, but now, I sort of get what she's saying. I came out to my family when my first doll arrived in January and while they may think it's creepy they are very supportive because suddenly I have an interest in creating things again (I had a tbi 2 years ago) and am trying to retrain my inner artist. Mostly I laugh at people and just shrug - I'm of the age where life's progression is reverting.. dolls, than likely diapers again ;) People can judge me but meh.. I can't be bothered to judge them back.. life is too short and fragile.

12. I actually never thought that people would think BJDs are creepy... until I got one and my husband and non artistic friends all think it's creepy

13. It's hard to understand how an inert doll can be creepy, but one can't argue with a gut reaction. Thing is - bjds could be so much creepier! Glow-in-the-dark eyes and motion- or sound-detection movement could really add to the creep factor, but I'm not that diabolical...yet!:)

14. I do think dolls are creepy... But I also think it is part of the charm. And some of them are getting so much cuter, the creepier they are.
      It has to be a little creepy to have something around that is so familiar to the human life, without being actual human life. Personally, I love it!. I find big eyes and a twirky smile totally adorable. And my sweet boyfriend, gets creeped out by the fact that something is starring at him :D It's a matter of reference. Of course. As many of you say, the horror movies aren't helping :D But I truly do think, it is the creepy aspect of these dolls that makes them so beautiful.

15. I admit I'm a little creeped out by the super large & realistic BJDs, just because they almost stop being dolls and start being little people that I expect to move any second. :shudder

Unfortunately I think the "creepy" reputation doll collectors get is largely based on the mistaken assumption that dolls are exclusively for children, and that any adult who likes them is in some way unhinged. I feel like if more people saw them as sculptures instead of playtoys the "creepy" misconception wouldn't be as common.

16. Yeah, my colleagues told me bjds are not cute, they are scary and creepy because their look are like human.

17. I'm still quite new to the hobby and thankfully have not gotten that reaction yet. Mostly people have said my dolls are beautiful. Several people have said they are jealous. One girl (jokingly) said she's going to steal Zea for herself. If someone said my dolls were creepy I honestly don't think I'd be offended unless they were rude about it.

18. For my boyfriend at first it was defiantly the blank eyes, I left a page open on my computer of the fairyland heads when I was deciding which one to get and he commented on how they were especially creepy. So ofc I sat him down and spent an hour showing him all sorts of beautiful ones with proper faceups and wigs xD even to me someone who adores dolls if i ran into an eyeless one in the dark I might get a bit spooked O.o He has since turned his ways and appreciates them a bit more, but it took a bit of explanation :D

I keep the hobby more private for this reason, I've had some negative response but after sitting down to talk (to the people that wanted to listen) they understood it more. If people comment rude things and are unwilling to talk about it then can just leave ;D to each their own, you don't have to love them but you don't need to be rude ^.^ that goes for everything though, not just dolls :D

Edit: I don't get upset when people say they are creepy, everyone is scared or creeped out by different things, but being creeped out by them and being rude are two different things :D

19. I'm modifying my original statement - those super realistic newborn baby dolls - okay a lil creepy (I just saw these for the first time.. yes I live under a rock.. well a lot of them).

20. Ill join you under my rock cave, one of those popped up on my instagram doll feed recently and I didn't know they existed O.o