1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Creepy?

Jan 9, 2018

1. Usually when a doll look pretty to me they aren't creepy. I do get that most people think they are creepy in general no matter how pretty they are. I think it's the too likeness to a real person that creep people out. For example some dolls that are super realistic and have the eyes that follows you are. I have some non bdj Japanese dolls I used to collect that were bought second hand. Even though I think they are pretty, I also find they are creepy. I just sense a present is near me or as if I'm stairing at someone. But that's could be the old stigma of dolls can be evil (not true!).

2. I swear its all on the horror movies!! Dolls are so loved even before!! But then they had to go and make Chuchy and annabell!! =/

3. I think it's the atmosphere, the settings, the lightings and how the doll is dressed and displayed can make them look creepy. I don't find my dolls creepy, but when I watched this Korean film on YouTube called, "My Happy Home" (which is about Cyborg) I got scared by the way the female lead arranged her dolls. It's interesting why I'm not scared of my dolls but sometimes frightened by others.

4. I hadn't, until recently, had anyone tell me that my dolls were creepy. Most of the people in my life appreciate them as an extension of my art hobby. My husband was actually pretty intrigued when my first doll arrived. I, myself, used to be creeped out by the very pasty white porcelain dolls my grandma collected, but I don't put bjds into the same category. Bjds can have so much more personality and beauty. No offense to anyone who collects or once collected porcelain dolls :)

5. I actually do collect porcelain dolls, and I do not argue with you. They can be quite creepy :lol:. But how do you feel about porcelain bjd's ? I saw a few videos on youtube, with people unpacking them, and I find them to be quite beautiful. or maybe it is the "pasty white" skin that creeped you out ? ;)

It is some of the porcelain doll quality of bjd's that does attract me to them. I like their faces and the various styles of clothes you can give them. But bjd's are your very own costumised "porcelain doll". It is this pretty thing you can actually interact with, and not just look at. And you get to create your own styles as well. I actually did find a resin bjd (forgot her name - she was really expensive) that was a little similar to my favorite porcelain doll in my collection. And she really is beautiful :love But you can ask anyone who have ever visitet me (including my man who lives with me and my mom who found her for me), these dolls are creepy either way :sweat

6. Sadly I had to make a new profile just for dolls because people find it creepy (and some, unacceptable:doh) But I think it's really more of the fact that most of them are hyper realistic and anatomically correct? and yes, movies that feature dolls being possessed or what not does not help. Tch, the unpopularity ensues:sigh

7. I agree with the whole uncanny valley thing.

8. I actually find the porcelain bjds very beautiful. I guess I should have specified more lol My grandma owned this one porcelain doll in particular, she had bright red hair and super white skin and her eyes were almost so green they were yellow. She kept her on the window sill in the guest bedroom I stayed in and she almost had a pennywise look, she scared me so bad! I always swore in the middle of the night she was staring me down with those glowing eyes. She wasn't a fashion bjd either, more like Annabelle style. She eventually had gotten more, which weren't near as bad, but that one made me creeped out and totally against them for quite some time.

9. I totally get that :lol: I have a few of those too.. I have a little boy, with black hair, blue eyes and in a police uniform. I think he is cute, but I haven't met anyone who doesn't dislike him. For the same reason as your grandmothers doll :lol:
      But I think most old times porcelaindolls are just as beautiful as BJDs. But as I said in a previous post, I do think that what makes a BJD creepy, also is what makes it beautiful. :)

10. Like a lot of people, I totally think people in general are creeped by dolls because of how life like they are. Some sculpts can look eerily like miniature adult people and that can be unnerving for some!

Not to mention the influence of media and even some cultural folk tales use dolls as 'evil' vessels or possessed objects and stuff like that. That and the popularity of Chucky in the 80s-90s definitely influences others opinions on dolls.

I think it’s one of those... almost niche hobbies? Like people that collect clowns, you’re going to have to deal with creeped out people all the time. LOL

11. Most of my family likes my BJDs, they also like porcelain dolls and collect those.

12. I think they creep people out because of the fact they look realistic and you can take out their eyes and change their face, so to speak, but I also think people need to look deeper and see the art in them and then they wouldn't find them creepy.

13. I hate it when people verbally tell me mean things about my doll hobby...like seriously, everyone has their own taste and hobbies and I think that it's plain rude to outwardly shame someone for it. My mother collects her own dolls and has them displayed around the house, and although they aren't my type of doll, I don't complain. However every time she saw my dolls, she would ALWAYS say something like "creepy" or "not cute"...like really, do you HAVE to tell that to my face? It just makes me feel terrible on the inside.

My fiance on the other hand - he by no means likes dolls and does find the dolls I like to be slightly creepy, but he doesn't verbally shame me for it or tell me to quit the hobby. The only thing he tells me is to be careful with my spending on them (very understandable) :lol: That, I am fine with. He too has hobbies that I won't understand, so it's about mutually respecting that we have different interests, I guess.

Yes, there are many dolls that I too find creepy, but I just won't buy them, and won't verbally judge others for having one - problem solved. I wish everyone would just keep an open and understanding mind. I really appreciate it when a friend sees my doll for the first time and says they're cool!

And heck, sometimes perception can change too depending on how exposed you are to something. I used to only like the look of Dollfie Dreams and other anime-like dolls, but after a long time of seeing everyone's awesome resin SDs, now I find myself leaving the DD part of hobby and switching over to SDs. <3

14. Just recently I got quietly irritated by this. I showed my friend a doll i was wanting to get (teenie gem Baby Isha) and she said it was creepy. then when I was visiting at her house she got her mom in on it saying the eyes in just the picture follows you around. I don't see it and none of the eyes on the dolls I already own follow me. Well I got it anyway! And I have no regrets with any of them.

15. Working as freelance camera operator this is a 100% for me. People believe what they see, even when it is a movie. Even when they know it is a movie. Even when they know it is a movie and it is fantasy and not real. It stay in their minds. Thats also the reason why billions and billions of dollars are spend on TV commercials. And the more annoying they are the better they are memorized .

Every now and then there appears a beautiful of funny commercial. Ask your family and friends about a nice commercial. It takes time before they come up with one. Ask them to tell how the commercial look like and mostly they hardly know. Now ask them to come up with some annoying commercial, and with ease they come up with more then ten. And they remember in detail how the commercial looked like, even when it was years ago.

Have that said, i am convinced there is one name for the the bad thoughts and even fear people have about non-toy dolls, and that name is Chucky. If that movie was never made, lots of people would think different about BJD's now. This is a 100% for me.

16. None of my family feels terrified because of my dolls and that is enough for me. They are rather irritated about how much money I spent though :XD:
      Anyway, I got used that some of people get sceared of the dolls. Tastes differ. Theese people are free to express their opinion and they can stay away from my room if they are unfomforteble there)

17. I was afraid of this when I planned on getting my first doll, I was afraid that it was going to end up being too big and creep everyone out. It turned out fine when he arrived, no one has mentioned them being creepy so far, at least not yet.(Probably because they don't want to hurt my feelings xD) I can vouch for the empty eye holes though:lol: I know some people for whatever reason seem to find that creepy, I guess because it's just a dark hole and it has no eyes? I don't see why, but then again I'm the one interested in them so I don't think they could creep me out in any way really.

But whatever their opinion, they're your dolls, and if you like them then get them! They can deal with it, it isn't hurting them in any way and if anything they should be happy that you're happy!

18. Normally it doesnt bug me if others are a bit terrified of my dolls.
      I find vintage Victorian style dolls rather creepy or unsettling. I guess they fall into uncanny valley for me. However from a antique perspective I do find them beautiful, I just would prefer not to collect them or acquire them in my home.

It's hard to explain why I like one doll over another. So in that notion, I dont expect people to explain why they find BJD dolls creepy. The reaction I get normally is: "Oh wow they almost look real. The glass eyes look so real. Thats uncanny for me and I am not a fan, yet am happy and intrigued that you enjoy it so much."

The only time I have been mildly upset was someone wanted information about BJD dolls and what they were. I gave them a Wikipedia link and they literally screamed over discord: "OMG DELETE THE LINK DELETE THE LINK. OMG ITS SO DISGUSTING".
      At this particular time, it was rather hurtful because we were discussing our hobbies and what we like to do--- and I made it clear I enjoyed dolls. And exclaimed that these dolls have more realistic painting and glass eyes, so if dolls werent their forte to proceed the link with caution. It made me feel like I was crazy and that the hobby I had was extremely weird, and I felt like I couldnt openly talk about my interests when the other person kept on talking about theirs.

19. I embrace the creepy. I thought they were creepy and amazing when I first saw them. So i refer to them as my creepy doll collection even though I think they are so lovely and life like.

20. All my close friends thinks my dolls are creepy. But I don't care because they understand my passion and they try to interested in.