1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Creepy?

Jan 9, 2018

1. My boyfriend is one of those people and it sucks because I have to hide my beautiful babies away and go to a seperate room whenever I want to do anything with them, it really upsets me but I guess you can’t help what people are or aren’t comfortable with

2. Accept the fact that it boils down to individual preference.

3. Yeah it kinda sucks and I think it is mainly because it is horror films and just because they look quite lifelike and it is kinda the same thing with very human like androids. But that is alright. I get a lot of flake and one person even asked me if I slept with my doll. People can be really rude but at least my partner is ok with them. :D They are very supportive of my hobby. And I made some friends which is always awesome as well. :D

4. Dolls certainly can be creepy to a lot of people but honestly that just fuels my love for them but the main reason is just how so much time and work and skill goes into them

5. It never really tired me out, in fact I kind of find it amusing since I've always been into creepy stuff. I'll ask them why, and we'll talk about why dolls are creepy to them. (More often than not it's because of horror stories or porcelain dolls...) Talking specifics about what makes a doll creepy tends to make them decidedly not creepy, particularly demonstrating eye placement. It's an interesting thing to talk about.

6. Honestly the only person I've ever really had make comments about my dolls being creepy, didn't mean it in a mean way so much as that dolls are just creepy to them.
      It's kind of turned into almost a joke where I talk about my dolls, they retort that I should be worried about the dolls murdering me in my sleep,... and I take pictures of my dolls like this, which I've shown them at least once.

[​IMG]IMG_1282 by Lindsay, on Flickr

7. @Cswift, it can also be the 'lack of breath' that people find creepy about dolls too, I do know some people who don't get Uncanny Valley from certain kinds of robots because they move enough to look 'alive', but because BJD's don't move it makes them look more 'dead'.

8. Some people tell me I have a weird hobby and that includes me collecting bjds. Some people says that it give them a creepy feeling but some says it’s amazing and too cute. People here always ask me why do I play dolls when I’m already old enough to play one. I always just give them a smile and say that they’ll not gonna understand me even if I explain it to them. I don’t care what other people might say as long as I’m happy in my hobby. :)

9. I think it mostly stems from horror movies and marionettes. I actually detest marionettes myself but love bjds, if that makes any sense :sweat So I kinda see where people are coming from. Some people actually have a fear of things like dolls and mannequins that mimic human looks.
      But I wish people could just see that bjds are beautiful works of art and they're not creepy at all. Even if someone thinks that, they should keep it to themself when in the presence of someone who obviously loves dolls because that's just rude.

10. My wife finds it creepy. Mmy 4 year old son finds it scary whenever any of my girls are staring at him directly. he never looked at them point blank, just on the whole which makes it less intrusive for him.

However, my 1 year old son finds it scary. he refuses to go near to the doll which is almost the same height as he is. he would pat his chest indicating he's scared whenever I bring the dolls near him.

11. I've gotten that, too, sometimes. I think a lot of BJD owner's are considered "weird" for being in the hobby anyway, regardless of demographic. But I've gotten a few "that's creepy, are they like little sex dolls or something?" from some people not in the hobby, which seems to partly stem from the stereotypes about men. E.g. that they're sex-crazed, so I guess they're thinking "why would a twenty-something year old man be into dolls unless it's for sex?" It's such a stupid, narrow-minded assumption

Apparently a lot of people find BJD's creepy because of their semi-realism, but I agree with
      My favorite part of the hobby are the 70cm BJD's with the super realistic faceups and the photos that are taken at just the right lighting where it's like I can actually imagine the doll as a person. Personally, I prefer the more realistically proportioned sculpts and natural faceups more than the cartoony ones. I don't see those as creepy

But then, I also really like the deliberately creepy ones with the strange body-horror modifications. When I get more dolls, I plan to make one of them a horror-themed one

12. I think dolls get a bad rep from folk lore, paranormal programs which have segments on dolls and just the perpetuation of bad stigma towards dolls by general society and entertainment.

Anything, given a creepy backstory will be creepy. A house is creepy if you whisper creepy little tid-bits of info and let the rumor slowly spread.

13. I have a tank full of thousands of roaches in my bedroom, so I'm guessing my dolls will be pretty low in comparison on most people's creep radar. :cockroach2

14. Oh, that post inspires me... I think some of my tinies would make the perfect masked assasins!

Krissim - roaches creep me out. But at the same time, I find them oddly beautiful.

15. @Krissim
      Are you into vulture culture? That's what immediately comes to mind when I hear of tanks of roaches. They're actually kind of beautiful creatures, though. I grew up with a box of worms in the basement for making compost so I think it's kind of nice to have creatures like that in your home. They're still a form of nature!

My boyfriend finds dolls in general creepy but I've shown him pictures of BJDs and he doesn't mind them! (I'd collect them even if they did bother him :P but it's convenient that they don't.) I think they're just stylish enough that they cross over from 'creepy' to 'cool'. :3nodding:

16. It’s funny. My mother thinks my doll is beautiful, but my storage case of eyes creeps her out bigtime. She was bothered a bit when I was changing eyes, looking at the open sockets in the head.

17. YES...just yes I'm tired of hearing that they're creepy!!! And everytime I ask the people what it is that they creep out. One person saw a photo of a doll without eyes, so that was his point on saying that dolls are creepy. But most other people are always thinking about all those horror films where dolls begin to move for themselfes and so on. But... I still don't get it! I mean: do our dolls look like Chucky or Annabelle? No! And yet people get creeped out...

18. @Milkweed Not into vulture culture specifically as I don't collect myself, although I do enjoy the aesthetic of skulls/bones. I actually keep praying mantises as pets so the roaches are are kept partially as feeders. I also really enjoy having them though as they are fun to watch in their own right. I find them as entertaining as a fish tank ares while being far lower maintenance. The adults of the species I keep (Panchlora nivea) turn a stunning green in their final molt. One of the reasons I started looking into BJDs is because I think the photo ups with one and some of my insects would be rather fun.

19. @krill That's so cool! I didn't even know you could have praying mantasis as pets. (They must be hue to eat roaches!) I was kind of looking into roaches as a pet a while ago, because I've heard they're easy-ish to take care of and I like the texture -- the museum near me has hissing cockroaches that you can hold on special days. The people I was living with at the time hard-veotod that, though. They would be really amazing for photo ops! Do you have any pictures?

20. I think you may have gotten the wrong username? I love mantids - but I don't have any sorry!
      And I don't think I've ever posted in this thread?