1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it odd to want to buy a doll simply because it's so gorgeous?

Jan 2, 2017

1. Don't sweat the "story"-business... While it's a very common pastime on DoA, not everyone in the hobby develops complex characters and backstories for each and every one of their dolls. Some of us do it for some dolls and not others, some are purely collectors and don't play the character game at all. It's in no way a requirement.

So... sure. If you want the doll just because it's pretty and not because it'll have some role in your fictional dollyverse, there's nothing wrong with that. Quite a few of us end up with particular sculpts that way. Just stay within your budget and the limits of your attention span and you'll be fine.

#21 Brightfires, Jan 3, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    2. I got my first doll in March of 2013 after ordering her in December the year before. I now have more than 15 (eek!) and feel a little overwhelmed because very few of them are finished. Many of them I wanted because they are beautiful or cute. One of the most recent ones is in his box blank with no eyes, wig or clothes. He's been there most of the time since I got him last spring. And he's at the bottom of my priority list for getting any of the things he needs to be finished, or even just out with the others.

So I agree with what the others have said - if the doll your interested isn't limited and you have others not finished or coming, wait. It's better to get another one when all the others aren't waiting for eyes and clothes and so on.

3. "Because it's pretty" is how I ended up with some MSD-sized lovelies. ;)

However, on the flip side of that, I had three of those MSD-sized dolls land on my doorstep almost all at once. They still aren't properly clothed, wigged, or styled, because it was too overwhelming to have that much resin happen at once, and I wish they had come in at a slower rate so that I could at least get them put together in a way that pleased me before the next one came.

To be fair, I'm not someone who needs to have a doll totally finished before the next one comes, but I do like to have their look mostly settled pretty quickly. I'll do "just for now" eyes and wigs until I can get the ones I want, and sometimes what I want changes.

But back to the "because they're pretty" Mini-Horde: They barely have stories, or even names, but I still get a great deal of happiness from them, even if they aren't as organized and polished as my bigger dolls. I'd love to add an Unoa girl to their ranks eventually--because she's pretty. XDD But no more three dolls at once for me!

4. Like someone else said I bought all my dolls because I thought they were handsome or very masculine except for My Merlinfrom Ringdoll as he was sooooo pretty & I knew my other boys would love to have him in the crew.... sigh :)

5. There is nothing odd about wanting a doll because you find it pretty. My resin BJD's don't have back stories/characters and I don't need them in order to justify buying a doll. None of my standard (non-ball jointed) dolls have characters either. In fact "old school" collectors like myself are happy just to buy dolls they like and put them on display to look at, I don't have to greatly modify or play with them or give them complex personalities in order to justify purchasing them. I simply lurve the range of dolls available and will buy whatever I like when I have saved the money to do so. I would advise pacing yourself though, don't be tempted to go on a big dolly spree. It was only when I discovered the BJD online community some years back that I noticed that giving dolls characters/stories is in the trend at the moment and seems to be the core reason why people buy them. Like wise posability isn't a necessity for me as i'm not really interested in doll photography. I relate to collectors that are interested in a wide range of dolls not just ball jointed ones and are content to have them on show. If a doll visually captivates you enough that you want it then there is nothing wrong with that but be sure the doll still appeals to you several weeks down the line don't rush into buying it because if you get bored with the "look" of the doll quickly then you'll want to sell it and then have all that hassle to deal with that could have potentally been avoided as you'll probably lose some money compared to what you paid for the doll in order to sell it on promptly. I've always had to charge somewhat less for a doll compared to what i've paid even when adding extras. You don't want to waste your money.

6. I got all my dolls because they were pretty, so I don't see any problem with that. None of them have any back stories/characters either since that is not something I'm interested in nor find it important.

7. I would say definitely not. Of course, there will always be that "one more" that you just have to have! I know, this happens to me all the time. It's a good thing that I am on a limited income and my daughter keeps me honest or I would be int the "proverbial" doghouse! But again, there is nothing wrong to buying a doll just because it is "pretty". If it gives you joy BUY IT!

8. No! not at all! ive basically done that with all my dolls! shes so pretty! is what i always think, and the thought of someone else having her is unbearable! Im so possessive of pretty things v.v

9. I bought my doll because she's pretty. I'm not particularly interested in characters or storylines for my doll collection, I just want to have some beautiful, interesting looking dolls.

That said I agree that the itchy trigger finger when shopping, especially when you are new to a hobby, can lead to regrets. I bought way too many random things when I started collecting nendoroids, and later sold many at a loss. Had I been a little slower at the start, I would have saved some money, space, and the hassle of reselling. When you are new to a hobby everything seems shiny and pretty, but give it a little time and your true tastes will become clearer.

10. I am new to the BDJ hobby also, always admiring and dreaming. It is so wonderful when you can make it a reality! If you are able, and have the money I would just go for it!

11. That's a common reason, this is a hobby very connected with aesthetic after all.

I agree to wait and think about your purchases, there's a lot of beautiful dolls but you will find after a time you are okay just watching them online stead of having them. So wait until you find dolls you actually fall in love with.

I ordered bjds together and close to each other without regret, some I already had been in love for years and others were recent release. And I love all of them when they arrived and didn't get disappointed or bored of them. So it can be done, is just a question of knowing yourself well and not buying just to buy.

12. You know what? Some people are just collectors and there's nothing wrong with that ^_^ not every doll has to have a specific purpose. If you can afford it, feel free to grow that hoard if you want. I recommend doll photography and sewing as fun things to do with your dolls.

13. That is the only reason I buy dolls. None of my dolls have stories.

14. There are some dolls I've bought because they fit the character I had in mind, and then some who aren't planned (that I have no character nor story for) but I just had to get them because they are so pretty! I figure I can always think up a story for them while waiting for them to come home. Granted, even the dolls that fits a certain character I have in mind still has to be beautiful enough in my eyes to capture my heart. Whether or not the doll fits a character, or if I am getting it just because it's pretty, I have to be in love with it. There are just sooo many gorgeous dolls that I can't get all of them even if I want to, so I only buy dolls that I'm absolutely love even if for a simple reason that it's simply beautiful.

15. My latest addition was bought because I saw her and fell in love at first sight. I had no plans for a new doll, saw her, and put her on layaway within the month. She's quickly becoming the spoilt one too, none of my dolls have anything handmade except for her, I've already made her a custom wig and plan on making a bunch of cute dresses for her once I find the perfect fabric. She's hands down one of the prettiest dolls I own.

16. Like many others have said, not at all. You never know which doll will catch your eye and capture your heart. If you are unsure if you want to make a purchase--wait to see if you keep going back for another look. There really are a lot of gorgeous dolls, so it's a good idea to test your affection for the doll over time if it's not limited.

My Oasisdoll chic girls are limiteds and they are just my type of doll so I jumped on them right away. The others i lingered over, and took my time to decide about them.

There will always be more lovely dolls and more than we could ever afford or have room for, so choose carefully. It's not as easy to re-sell a doll as it once was.

17. When i was new in the hobby I bought a few dolls just because they were pretty, I latter found myself bored with them and sold them. Its not odd at all to want pretty things. Just give it some good thought on if you feel you will love her just being pretty, or if you think you will get bored. Everyone collects differently. I play with my dolls and take lots of photos, so fully rely on personality, so just pretty doesnt cut it for me, but some people more enjoy looking at dolls and not touching, so just pretty is perfect for that type of collector.

18. Isnt that why we have them?? XD I admit, I do seem to be all or nothing with my dolls, but after.... almost 5 years... I've got 10, so its about average of 2 a year, and I aim to have them totally finished before any more come! My latest was an exception with Dream of Doll vanishing, I was in a comfortable position to purchase her, and now she and my last two are getting things trickling in for them... I cant see them all being finished or re faced up until later in the year, and then I need to go on a break! So yeh, pacing is good :) enjoy the finished ones

19. Is it wrong? Hell no, lol. None of my dolls have characters, I'm not a writer and I don't have any talent for that kind of stuff, I just buy dolls I find beautiful and I like dressing them in nice clothes and taking photos of them, that's about it! The great thing about this hobby is that you're free to enjoy it however you want. You wanna make stories or characters for you dolls, go for it! It's not a necessity though.

20. The only reason I would probably buy a doll would be because I found it gorgeous or handsome (or both). Backstories and stuff aren't really my thing, unless it would be a theoretical shell of a character I've already made beforehand. And then it would just be a super pretty shell of a character of mine. x'D Really they're just beautiful enough to look at for me!