1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it odd to want to buy a doll simply because it's so gorgeous?

Jan 2, 2017

1. Isn't that why we buy them? :celebrate

2. Not odd at all in my opinion. I've bought most of my dolls simply because I think they're beautiful.

3. what other reason would there be to buying a bjd if not because of how they look?

4. Well, we sure don't buy them for their engaging conversation.

Seriously, though, I would think that one of the main reasons for a doll purchase. There are far worse reasons.

#64 Emby Quinn, Nov 17, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    5. I buy all my dolls because I love how they look and the pictures I can create with them. People buy art and decoration because they find it pretty, some buy it because it means something to them. Everyone has different reasons. Just like getting tattooed, I have tats that mean something and I have tats that I thought were pretty. As Long as you are happy, it's all that matters

What helps me however is creating a Pinterest aesthetic board and thinking if that doll will fit that and fit into the Picture I want. I find These dolls in traditional asian gowns Pretty for example but they don't fit my style. Just think About what style you want for a doll and if it makes you excited then go for it

6. I don't think its odd, I mean I so badly want to buy an iplehouse hid bella with type b faceup, but I know I don't like the bigger size

7. I have always chosen dolls because I love the way they look. I always go for prettiness.

It depends on the type of person you are, I guess. I like everything rolling in all at once so I can get dolls finished. I really dislike the waiting. A wig arriving, a doll weeks or even months later, clothes sometime after that - it drives me crazy. I just waited 6 months for an item of clothing! I love it, but the wait takes the edge off for me. I like the finished look so everything can be in its place and displayed. I don't play with my dolls though.

Personally I pay for things up front so there's no worrying about layaways. If money is an issue, wait until you have it saved before purchasing would always be my first piece of advice.

8. I mean, I originally planned to only have dolls under 20cm, but then I saw the Han/Asronn sculpt of Soom Teenie Gems and fell for the "WTF" face, so...yeah.

I didn't end up switching the faces much, so it's going to be a totally new doll. (I only have one COA so I don't really want to sell just the head...)

9. Not at all! That's the only reason I get a bjd XD I either come up with a character around the sculpt, or they just look pretty. Either way I'm okay with it ^^

10. Not odd at all :) i am new into bjd (bought my first bjd in May 2020 and it arrived July 2020) and it's December now... but I am already waiting on 5 incoming dolls and several floating heads... (I blame Luts marketing :XD: but I like them a lot lol and some of the things I bought, especially the heads, are time limited...). I most likely will sell one of dolls though... this is mainly because I realized, I find his body proportion odd after sometime...:( I guess I am in the newbie pit of wanting all the dolls and realized I do not like it while waiting for it... :shudder

To stop myself from buying more, I am telling myself now that if it is not "perfect" (as in meet all of my criteria/checklist...), I will not buy him or her even though it is limited edition or simply beautiful... with the exception: if it is something I already have and I really want another one but it is being discontinued, I have to get it... :chomp:

11. It's perfectly normal. I bought raccoon doll modern gene just because she was gorgeous.

12. Nope the heart wants what the heart wants:XD: I find you have those moments when they just click.

13. It's hard with all the pretty dolls. I have to keep myself from buying a lot too. But I try to always ask myself: Do I like this doll even in a few months/years? If it's 'no' I know it's just a temporary 'art crush'. That's how I call it. ^^

14. Pretty things make life more wonderful for me be it the slightly more expensive makeup or skincare or luxury item. A doll is no different. A doll is something I definitely would buy cause it's beautiful. The only justification I would go through is whether or not I can afford it and it's accessories. They can't just sit naked in my house.

15. It's really late where I am, I thought the title read "Is it odd to want to bury a doll simply because it's so gorgeous?" First thing I thought was someone burying a doll the way a dog buries a bone or a home owner buries a St. Joseph statue.