1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to think of BJDs as a form of investment?

Feb 27, 2008

1. They are an investment in my happiness. I don't think of them as a financial investment, I already know that I wouldn't sell one of my dolls...

2. The dolls are the sort of thing that won't lose value (as long as you look after them proberly of course!)
      Therefore, they are a kind of investment. I personally wouldn't buy a doll and then sell it on just to make some money (mainly becuase i can't affod to do something like that)

3. They can lose value though, even if you do take care of them. You have to factor the exchange rate into the equation. For instance, I've only been in BJDs a few months. At the time I first really got interested, my dream doll then, the Limwha Mano Elf, was a little over $700.00 in urethane. Right now, he's $565.00. I see people on the Marketplace wanting the full price they paid for him and others when the exchange rate was worse for the dollar simply because "that's what I paid for him/her", thinking that BJDs should magically hold their value despite market realities. Sorry, not going to pay over a hundred dollars more for a second-hand doll than new price, unless it comes with significant goodies to make up for that price drop. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the new doll, so the convenience isn't a factor either. People just need to buy what they love, as many folks have said on this thread, and not worry so much about recouping their investment or making a profit.

4. Investment wise, only toward my entertainment and happiness. Money wise, no, I don't see them as an investment. I don't ever plan to sell them, and I think that if I did, I wouldn't get as much for them as I've paid for them. None of my dolls are limited edition and I imagine they'd be yellowed over time, so I can't see their value going up. I'd hope that emotionally they'd be worth a lot to my family after I die. But all in all, they are a hobby to me, not much else.

5. They're an investment if, and only if I absolutely need to sell them for emergencies. Otherwise, I'd blow through the money on things that I don't need and have very little resale value. But... if I felt that I may have to sell mine, I'd probably go overboard doing commissions and making doll clothes in hopes that it won't have to come to that. At least I have a lot of valuable skills that I can fall back on in emergency situations. But they are there... just in case.

6. My dolls are simply a guilty pleasure, I doubt very much that they could be considered any type of a viable investment. I could ask my financial advisor ( my husband) but I fear I know what the answer will be.

7. BJDs are certainly a form of investment just like any other piece of art.
      Most home owners insurance companies will insure them like any other piece of art, and unless you brutalize your poor dollies then they maintain their value and limited dolls and one offs do nothing but appreciate in value. I see them as a very unique investment. Plus, they are so damn cute.

8. Of course it's alright to think of them as a financial investment. Now if they are a wise financial investment that is for the market to decide should you try to resell them.

Personally I am with everyone who writes that they are an investment in my/their happiness.

9. As far as an investment, you can't always know what will
      or won't go up in value (for someone who said stocks are a better choice..lol)
      A bjd company may discontinue a doll or go out of business,
      in which case a dolls rarity and desire may increase!!

I recently saw a Lati Choco Miel Valentine complete set
      up for auction on ebay sell for a whopping $2,551.00
      It was not in mint condition and had severe wig staining
      so the starting price was $99.00. (how lucky was that seller?!)
      So it all depends. A rare or desirable doll sold at the right
      time where the right people (rich or crazy jk) see it could
      end up making you very happy:aheartbea

I think it's fine to view your dolls as an investment, as
      long as that's not your only intent. But there are clearly
      some who collect them solely for a value increase to sell later.
      Personally I think that's bad, to buy limiteds that will sit
      in their box, snatching them from people who really
      loved them:(
      With all that said, I recently bought my first Soom
      monthly doll (Chrom) and while I know I will never
      sell him, it would still make me happy to know
      years from now that his "value" increased.

10. I am sorry to hear that you had to sell some of your dolls to pay for college. That's the kind of world we live in now, I s'pose.

To answer your question...No, I do not think of dolls as investments. I think and look upon them as friends, companions and to some extent, my children. However, when and if hard reality strikes, it is nice to know where there is some cash to be found, as you had to do.