1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to think of BJDs as a form of investment?

Feb 27, 2008

1. I think that sometimes "investments" could be considered "gambles". If doll buyers are "investing" money in dolls then this is a dangerous route to take, even for many scalpers who do not turn over their purchases immediately. Dolls are terrible investments. Sometimes the market is booming. Other times the bottom has fallen out due to increased competition or even a new manufacturing technique.

Resin is a relatively new material. Imagine if a new and improved resin-making technique came onto the market and it was guaranteed not to yellow. These dolls would become the new "holy grail" dolls. Others would lose their value completely or perhaps a little, but still they would not be as valuable as they were before.

To answer your questions, though:

...I was wondering if you think its ok to think of BJDs as an investment? If you think its ok to what extent is it ok?

I think it's a gamble as stated above. I think it is alright for others to do it if they want to take the risk, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Do you think its ok to buy a doll you think will be valuable and then reselling it right away?

No. I think this is unethical. I choose not to "love" limiteds or dolls that are scalped, because I choose not to pay inflated prices. I can adore a standard edition just as much as I can a special edition. In the end, it ultimately comes down to the sculpt and there is so much to choose from that I couldn't be bothered with special limitations.

Saying that, I have been tempted by the angel Yo-SD invites sent by Volks. I could buy one. I might buy one. But it would have to be pretty sensational since an MSD is only fractionally more expensive and Custom House's Petite Ai is comparable with regards to quality in my humble opinion.

What about buying dolls that you expect to be valuable in the future that you also like and don't have any immediate plan to sell but may sell in the future if the price is right?

I buy dolls I love and I love the dolls that I buy. If I sell a doll it is because I have "outgrown" it or have moved on and no longer feel it fits in my collection. The selling price is not a determining factor for me to sell a doll. At the same time, however, if I do decide to sell a doll it would preferably be when the market is to my advantage.

What about just knowing that you could sell a doll if an emergency came up and so effectively thinking of one or more of your dolls as emergency savings?

I'd rather save money than sell dolls. I hate selling dolls, because it takes a lot of work. I'd rather do some extra work or overtime or something and keep the doll.

Are you more likely to buy a doll you expect to be valuable in the future knowing it would be easier to sell if you decided the doll wasn't for you?

No. I have the advantage of going to doll shows, so I can see firsthand what it is I want. I have seen a good number of dolls to realize what I like and don't like. I like to make sure I will love a doll before I buy it, not after. In addition, there are a lot of BJD owners on this forum who could answer specific questions about particular dolls or share real-life pictures of the more standard dolls I prefer.

If you don't think its ok to use dolls as an investment do you think its ok to buy real estate as a form of investment?

Real estate is a risk, but less so than dolls that are continually evolving and changing. Again, though, I think it's alright for others to do this, but I would prefer to purchase real estate I would use for something.

How is buying a house with the hopes of the value going up different then buying a doll with the hope of the value going up?

Buying a house requires constant attention and repairs. It is also much more expensive and requires a higher degree of dedication than a doll. I have known people who purchase small houses, renovate, sell at a profit then move into a larger one and then repeat the process. They made a lot of money. I don't see a doll as being comparable. I suppose you could modify a Yo-SD, but it doesn't necessarily become "better" or more expensive than when you purchased it. You also can't renovate an older doll as much as you can renovate an older house.

Are some collectables ok to use as investments but not others?

I don't think so. I think there are various levels of risk and people need to decide how much risk is too much for them.

2. Unless, in the future, there is going to be a huge demand for hunks of yellow resin with eyes, probably not a good idea to use the hobby as an "investment"...stick with the love my friends!!

3. Collectibles are usually investments. In our dolls' case, they are great investments - many go up in price even with just a nice faceup, limiteds become more sought-after and worth more, and some companies go out of business, raising the demand of their mold. While yes, the price may go down, a creative and careful owner can easily find ways to enchance the doll's worth.

For myself, a younger adult, I consider them to be worthwhile investments. I am allowed to play with them, modify them, and enjoy them without suffering a great loss of value. While I would not rely on them solely for investment (good lord why would you do that) they are, to me, at their bottom-most forms, a source of relatively liquid money. Keeping them as your sole investment isn't the brightest because while just toys, they are easy to attach you. If an emergency comes up and your favorite little piece of insurance comes up, that's just more sadness you're adding to the pile. It's a better idea to invest in a bank, bonds, whatever you want, so that you can enjoy the dolls more comfortably - and when the situation does arise that you need money, hopefully you've got it covered with other forms of insurance.

4. I think BJD's aren't good investments because prices and even the market vacillates back and forth. You may never know the true value of stuff. Even money has a value that goes up and down.

5. For me, my dolls are definitely for me to enjoy and to keep me 'company' so to speak. Having to sell them was never on my mind when I made my purchases and for me to get into a situation that would provoke me into seriously considering selling my dolls would mean that I'm in REALLY deep %$@# - in a problem/caught by good ole' Murphy that I managed to overlook or not account for/think of to account for when doing my planning.

I think there's a difference - and a BIG difference - between 'purchasing a doll as a form of investment' versus 'purchasing a doll to play with or to be a model or to just sit and look pretty and then selling him or her should an emergency arise'.

I'm going to be crass here and I apologize in advance for stepping on anyone's toes.

I'm quite solidly find myself in the 'I don't think it's a good idea' camp, but that goes back to my feelings regarding people overspending/not doing 'sensible' financial planning and the short and long term ramifications of doing that. In short, I've seen too many people go broke and then some because of overspending - this includes friends whom I have helped to bail out - for me to say that a doll - even a limited doll that is in high demand - is worth to buy as an 'investment'.

'Investment' to me hints that the owner will someday sell him or her/intends to sell him or her for the sole purpose of gaining money (and not necessarily because a sculpt didn't 'fit'), which in turn whispers that the owner perhaps isn't in the best financial situation in the first place and thus has to think about where to regain losses when/if finances don't pull through. In thinking of this, I then can't help but think that 'dolls as investments' are another way of justifying purchasing dolls that aren't within an owner's planned budget.

Like someone else said, if you want true solid investments, go for gold or invest in currency even! Heck, even CDs promise - and deliver! - better and MORE RELIABLE returns than a doll would. :) </financial dorkery>

But anyways.

6. I think of my dolls more as potential heirlooms for my children. Although, I have a little boy and he probably won't want them, I may have a daughter in the future or grand daughters and they will look after my BJD's.

I certainly haven't bought my BJD's with any mind to sell them. I suppose if I had to, in the sense that my boy needed something desperately then I would of course part with them, I have my priorities fairly sorted out :sweat but I don't think their value will increase that much. They are mass produced (many of them anyway), their quality will probably deteriorate over time, and there will be better materials invented in the future to make these dolls from that will make our BJD's look a bit poo and not as attractive.

I just love my dolls for me, they are mine, I want them, I bought them for me and if I want an investment for my future then I make sure that I love and cherish my little boy. Him being happy, with a good education, support and love is more important to me as an investment than anything financial.

7. Can you predict what's gonna happen in this hobby in 10 years from now?

Are your dolls always in their boxes "never played with", stored in perfect humidity conditions, in total darkness?

That would be big fat NO to both questions. Thus, it's no investment at all. Or a very high risk one.

I mean, it'd be nice if say, in distant future ABJD would become very rare and highly sought after, but there's not much chances for that to happen. And it certainly is not wise spending thousands these days in hopes to make a profit some day.

8. i never thought like that i buy a doll because it's a love from the first sight almost not investment. if i thought like that i would buy only volks limited fullsets and never open their boxes. my dollfies are for making me happy i don't see money hwen i look at them i see good feelings and emotions

9. Depends how yellow he gets *cough* lolz kidding! kidding!

Neugh alot of people I think see them as their children in a way. Though I know they arn't alive but then again even that has been debated on here so I am not closing my mind to anything. However I guess I will feel very attached to my doll and wouldn't dream of selling him.

I don't see him as an investment. I guess some people customize them and then sell them don't they... so I guess some people do. But not me. I wouldn't want to peirce him or anything though because when humans have tattoo's or peircings they can be removed and I guess thats harder on resin. I don't do that because of if I wanted to sell him on. It's incase I don't want them there anymore.

10. This is a good point. If you intend to have a business centered around your dolls ok. For most people who just have dolls as a hobby though, dolls are not good investments. They will lose value with use and as someone else pointed out now that China is making some no telling how far prices will drop once they start mass producing them.

11. I think like all things - it's about moderation.

I can justify my expense with dolls - in comparison to my expenditure on other entertainment, or luxuries (and dolls are entertainments). But I do think that trying to justify the expense of a doll by calling it an investment is probably just a bit of self-deception. Or the deception of others - not that I haven't thought about that myself :lol:

As many people have said previously, dolls as an investment is a risky business at best. Anything can be an investment, if you don't care about the risk.There is nothing ethically wrong in considering any possession as a financial investment. Where things get unethical is when it leads to disrespecting others which leads to scamming, scalping, etc.

Economy is not just about the movement of money from one person to another. it's about happiness. (They're called utils - seriously!). And personally with dolls? The number of utils I get for my money is way and above the money I will/have paid for it. And if I ever sell my doll (s) the utils I've gotten from owning the doll, will mean that I've made a profit.

So economically for me, its a good deal. So long as the luxuries does not outweigh the necessities. And any investments in possessions are luxuries.

Asneth

12. You are free to think of dolls as an investment. I suppose that might be a nice rational, if you need one to explain your hobby to others. You may choose to think of dolls in any way you wish, in my opinion.
      Personally, I think your money would be better spent elsewhere if you think of dolls strictly as an investment.
      Thinking of dolls as emergency savings is a pretty flumsy rational for having one. In an emergency, you may find you cannot sell the doll in a short time without taking a huge loss. As hard as it can be to do so, I would advise keeping some actual cash around for emergencies.
      I see nothing wrong with buying a doll for immediate resell for a profit. I can't understand how this is unethical for dolls when people buy and sell all manner of things for the express purpose of making money.
      Dolls are, strictly speaking, no different than cars, homes, coins, or other objects which are are bought to be sold for profit. Doll companies and dealers are not charitable organizations, and neither are individuals.
      My doll is a lot more to me than an object, however.

13. I wouldn't think so, unless the dolls are limited editions.

14. I don't think of them as an investment, but the fact that people are willing to buy second-hand dolls does ease the stress of purchasing them.

I would never buy with the intention of selling, but... it's good to know that, if the time came, it was a possibility.

15. i freak out just the thought of selling any boys of mine that i spent so much time and hard work on O.o

16. As of late, I've been telling people that this is a form of investment just to show them that I have a little knowledge in this line and that I'm not doing this completely out of impulse and that it's a waste cause for me it's not a waste at all! i love these dolls like crazy!

17. Investment? Fair enough I suppose. That is, assuming you're trusting the doll market to keep going as it is, and you're putting enough money into it to need such an assurance.
      I, however, don't plan on spending enough for it to be necessary for dolls to be an investment, and I'll not be putting any money into them that I'm not prepared to lose, as it were.

18. i must confess i've thought about buying *blank* dolls and customising them for re-sale. However, that's a long way in the future... i've only just bought my first SD-size doll (a Bobobie *Ophelia*) and i think i might fall in love with her once i've given her a face-up and made clothes for her.

However, i was able to afford her only by selling my Exclusive Living Dead Dolls HK Penny, so i guess dolls can be a kind of investment...
      Lord & Lady knows my boi would talk your ear off about how great an investment his Transformers can be!!!

19. I could definitely consider a BJD as an investment--not just because of the price of the doll, but because of what you can do with it. For example, if from your doll you learn how to make clothes or paint face-ups, you could later sell those for profit. Buying the BJD is sort of the start up capital in that sense. Besides, you're the owner of the BJD! So of course it's okay to think of your own as an investment. But of course, I think it's best to love the doll for what it is, too. :3 Getting any money out of the hobby would just be like a sideline plus, since the hobby itself is so expensive.

20. I've made an investment into my happiness. As a happier person I can be more productive in work and therefore I'll eventually "make back" what I spent on them.