1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to think of BJDs as a form of investment?

Feb 27, 2008

1. My dolls are investments in a way - they represent money that I've put back into my business, so that I can make my clothes fit all the different body types more accurately. If I wanted to invest my money in the way that I think this thread means, I'd go buy some bonds or something.

2. yes, i think it is ok to see them as a form of investment, just as buying collectibles and keeping them mint is a form of investment. however, i'm the kind of person that unboxes everything and opens all the packaging, so i don't expect much of my merchandise could sell as mint, but i don't care, because it's mine and i don't plan to sell it.

3. I DO think bjds can be a great investment, but not in the emergency savings sort of sense. I'm very artistic and having different sizes and molds of dolls, helps me create things. I've been getting commissions here and there for props for the dolls and that's how I think they are a great investment. I was in a bit of funk before with my artwork, but with these dolls I am inspired to create things that I know people will have interest in and buy. I love each and every one of my dolls, and would never consider selling them if the price was "right". I have sold dolls before, but only sold dolls that I didn't feel a connection with, emotionally and artistically. It is the owner's choice to sell a doll for one reason or the other, but to just buy a doll and then turn around to flip it for a profit, I feel is very wrong. If that were the case, that person might be better off investing that money in a savings account as sometimes we lose a bit of money reselling our dolls cause the mold might not have much appeal with others or everyone wants the latest mold and not last years.

4. People who think they're investing in BJDs (or any other modern dolls or collectibles) for future profit are deluding themselves. So far with BJDs (unless the doll is a very unpopular model), you can sell them for something, but it's like with cars; they depreciate the moment they come to you. Some depreciate more than others, and there are a very few that become "valuable", although this can cease if/when that model loses popularity.

Better that you think of them as an emotional investment, in your personal pleasure and entertainment.

5. I think it's fine to think of these dolls as an investment. After all, who the hell is going to pay so much money for something that they couldn't potentially sell if they needed to (Whether it be emergency or want).

Personally, scalping I don't think is alright. But you're going to find scalping in a lot of high dollar hobbies.

6. I also believe it's fine to see BJDs as an investment, just like investing into any other piece of fine art. And as with investing in art, better to invest it in a limited doll, rather than a more easily obtainable doll as the value won't go up otherwise, but that's a kind of obvious point. It's also pointless, I think, to look at it as a short term investment - you're going to have to have the doll lying around unopened/handled rarely for at least 20 years before it becomes something extraordinary.
      Someone who buys a BJD with the sole purpose of making a profit in it in the long run probably won't enjoy it as much as someone who owns one to actually own and enjoy it rather than to only make money out of it, and I find that a little sad as they are made to be enjoyed.

7. I think that dolls are always an investment, true perhaps not in the realm of selling them at a later date, but dont we all buy dolls for an investment in ourselves or as an investment in our interest in the BJD phenomenon?
      I invest in mine knowing that i am doing so as an investment in my own piece of mind, had a hard day at work? go home and dressing up my doll in something pretty, or taking a few snaps makes me calm down and makes me smile a little more.
      But if we are speaking of financial investment then no i dont think there is anything wrong with that at all, after all yuo could help someone get thier grail doll and make yourself a little cash in the process, win win if you ask me

8. Resale value: the value in which an item is perceived to fetch on the second hand market.

The number one factor in the resale value of any item is supply and demand. We all know this from basic economics that we’ve been taught since we were young. (Ex. Your friend won’t buy your basic Pikachu card for the same price as your holographic mewtwo card. )
      We all know limited sell for more because there are less of them, and usually (not always) they are in a higher demand. We know that popular molds will sell for close to what you paid for them because everyone wants one without the wait.

However in a hobby that focuses on changing and modifying the original look of the dolls, it really surprises me how much people comment on how mods and scarring and customizing your doll will affect the resale value of the mold. Especially with limited dolls. And try using it as a way to deter people from doing such things to their dolls. It’s mind boggling to me.
      And I’d really like to hear why people are so concerned with such a thing when they get a doll when they purchase it, if you even are and also why for those who aren’t concerned why aswell?

I have many hobbies and let me tell you this is the first I’ve had when you can resell something for close to what you bought it for on easily obtained things. Most of my hobbies what you buy either goes up in value or down, it hardly remains constant. (Ex. Comic books) but again most of those aren’t about changing the original or customizing it either it’s about keeping it in mint or nrfb. (like new or never removed from box) so the mind set I’ve been seeing in many threads of oh but it won’t fetch the same on the second hand market is just mind boggling and I would like to know why.

~ me I buy a doll for me. I don’t worry about it’s resale value cause my intentions are not to constantly resell my dolls. If I were to hit hard times I’d have lots of other things to sell first. From other hobbies that would catch me a higher value than I paid not just get my money back. And I also never buy a doll when I know I might need some emergency funds coming up (Ex. School books) so there is my opinion.

sorry it's so long

9. While I don't think that's it's wrong to think of BJD's as a form of investment, it's certainly not the mindset I keep. If I wanted to invest in something, I would buy something I didn't get so easily attatched to and wouldn't mind selling. The way things are now, I would only sell my dolls as a last resort. I get very attatched to things, especially dolls because they are usually based on characters I've had for many years and have invested a lot of emotion into.

For me, ABJD's are just for me. They are the physical manifestations of my dearest characters and dearest creations. I never buy them with the intention of selling them. If anything, I spend months researching them to make sure they are absolutely perfect before shelling out the money.

However, like I mentioned before, this is because of my tendency to get easily attatched. While I understand that they are, at the end of the day, objects - they are still dear objects.

10. I don't particularly see my doll as an investment, but I think that if I ever needed a couple hundred dollars really really bad, I could sell her. I hope that never happens though, I really like her.

11. Well, while I personally don't buy dolls purely for their value, I do like to think of them as a good hobby for the future.

My parents think I'm nuts for buying BJDs, but when I explain to them that they don't lose their value very badly and can in some cases even increase in value, they usually shut up.

I don't think of my dolls as an investment, I think of them as fun items I enjoy playing with and something I can share with my friends around the world. But I'm sensible enough to know that if the going gets really tough, the dolls can help me out of a bind if I really need them to.

I don't think I would enjoy having to sell a doll for money, but I would realistically do so if it was the only means I had of raising emergency cash. I have sold one of my dolls, but that was because I didn't really like the mould any more. I invested the money I raised in paying off a few debts to people and a bit of extra spending money for my trip to Slovakia ;) But my decision to sell him was to allow someone else who would love him more than I did to have that opportunity.

12. I buy my dolls because I like them, but I want to be sure I can sell them without loss if I don't like them anymore. That's the investment part for me. Though I have noticed that when I have a limited doll and see that this doll's value is growing, I often end up selling her, even if I still like her...

13. I don't really care about resale value right now. I know that if anything happens in the near future I could sell my doll for near the value I bought it, but I'm not considering that. Yes she is limited and her value may go up, but at this point in time I don't care because I have no plans on selling her.

I am aware this sounds kind of childish, I guess it just came out that way...

14. I agree 100%... ive bought some things in japan that i just couldnt wait to open even though they would be worth more untouched....BOOOO lol

i pretty much must open everything, but i usually take good care of my things now (the stuff i had before when i was little would be worth so much now haha) but i still dont think id get what id buy my boy and girl for.

overall, until i get some cool abilities to sew, paint or anything, right now they are not an investment.

15. Not at all, because I'm the same way. I buy my dolls without the intention of ever selling them. Hence their resale value doesn't mean anything to me. I don't even know what it is for my guys XD

If I had to sell them it would be for something close to what I got for them, but that's really it, including clothes and stuff. Nothing much else.

Its great if people view these dolls as collectors' investments, but any other form is kind of wonky, because you never know when a company could re release a sculpt as a standard, or how the market will go for a doll, you know? o.o"

Example, you know that dollpa is coming up you jump because a new limited is coming out, you go after it, aaand the doll itself is neat, you liked it enough to buy it, but its not too high in demand in the second hand.

Is that a bad investment?

16. I know this may seem like a selfish question but i truly dont intend it.
      You see there is a rare doll I really want. There will only be a release of 75 & i must get my hands on its cute bjd-ness. But i was also thinking of grabbing up 2, 1 to keep & 1 to sale later. Is that so wrong?

How long does it normally take for a doll to double in value if it is 1 of 75 in the whole world? I need to know these things before i make the investment. I never do these things but im curious that if i were to how it works:sweat
      thankyou for all advice:)

17. I wouldn't say there is anything really wrong with it. People do it with everything else in the world. I have see the soom Beryl selling for 1800 from 1100 in may do it all depends on how much demand there is for a doll.

18. That's called "flipping" or "scalping", and while it's not technically illegal, it's generally frowned upon as bad manners in the hobby. There's a debate thread related to the topic here: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219346

As for "how long it will take to double in value"... that all depends. It may never double in value... it may never even go up in value at all. It's all about supply and demand. If it's a very desirable sculpt that many people want (like the recent Soom Beryl/Sard, or a CP Woosoo) then it will increase. Just how much depends on how many people are competing to get it. If it's a sculpt that fewer people are interested in, the value won't increase as much, if at all. For more info on "BJDs as monetary investments", you can check this thread: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197640

ETA: Thanks for posting that link, Angharad. I'd completely forgotten about that thread! :sweat

19. If you put too high a price on it, people will see it as scalping, which is generally looked down upon. A lot of BJD enthusiasts find it really tacky.

Then again, scalping seems to work. There's usually someone willing to pay. It makes sense from a purely capitalist perspective, but it might not make you a very well-liked person.

There's been a debate thread on the subject here.

20. It's not a generally accepted practice among collectors here I've noticed, but if you would like to buy one to resell later that's perfectly fine :)

But it is a bit of a gamble, since definitely not all limited dolls appreciate in value. A lot of limiteds may just stay the same value, then you would lose out on shipping costs from the company to you! So it's not exactly a sure fire way to make some extra money ^^;