1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it "Okay" for a prof. doll artist to order Default Face~up..?

Aug 27, 2007

1. Wow, this is the most one-sided argument ever! LOL. Agreeing with what's been said.

2. Just because you can do a faceup on your own doesn't mean you can't enjoy the work of others. If you see a default faceup that you like, by all means get it done.

Something everyone seems to forget in this hobby is that it doesn't matter what other people think about your dolls and what you do with them. They're YOUR dolls, you spent the money on them, you can order them however you want and do with them as you please.

3. you see it is the difference between making things and buying things! There is nothing wrong liking someones elses work whether it be default or custom!

Lets say you write good stories, you even get published, does that mean you don't buy and read others books? Course not- it is essential to your craft to keep reading. You can apply this to dolls, face ups, clothing etc...

xx

4. I guess I'm just "me too-ing" here, but it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it. And also, just because it's the default faceup doesn't mean that it wasn't done by an artist, right?
      Raise your fist and support the little guy (or gal) who works for that company doing the same faceup on the same doll day after day. I bet they like to feel appreciated for their art as much as anyone.

5. Wow! Thanks for all the new insights in this matter.
      I think everyone's totally right, especially with the "appreciating another (the company's) artist's work"

I feel at ease buying a default Custom House boy now. ;)

6. Nothing wrong with an artist apreciating another artists work.

7. Pshaw! If you want a default face up then get a default face up! There's no rule saying you can't. :)

8. Remember, the "compay's work" is done by hand by an artist.

9. I haven't done any face-ups yet, but I am an artist, and in a similar field. I know from my experience that personally, I never do anything for myself within the field I am in. I own zero of my creations. All have been sold, or commissioned. I suppose if I was going to get into doing commissioned face-ups I would understand needing to show my work on bjd's. I would practice on my own and then when I knew I was good enough, I would do one for sale on an open market. Establish myself over time, see what market value my service seems to command including doll(so face-up commissions would be cost of doll subtracted from going rate of completed doll and any other things that were included. Since you already seem established, then heck yeah get defaults if you want to. No shame in collecting other artist's work!

10. Sometimes you can't buy the doll blank. My drama is always wiping someone else's work to do my own, it just feels wrong.

11. I can sew all my own clothes, but I generally choose not to. ; ) An artist is constantly enveloped in their own work; there's nothing wrong with wanting to take a step back. It's much easier to enjoy someone else's artistry without the pressure of seeing your own flaws or ways to improve it.
      Default services are provided because enough people appreciate that style and want to own it, otherwise the company wouldn't offer it!

12. i'm an artist too. and i have no qualms about getting a doll with someone else doing the face up. besides a face up artist shouldn't have to do face ups all the time, just like a chef can dine out, and a clothing designer can buy clothes. just because you can do the craft doesn't mean that you can't buy it from someone else.

besides- i would be very flattered if a face up artist bought a face up from me, and i'm sure the companie's artists feel the same way

13. If I went into an artists' house and all they had on the walls was their own work and not a single piece by anyone else I would think they were a bit narcissistic. I agree with everyone else--it's only natural as an artist you would appreciate and want the work of another artist.

14. that's just it, just because I make jewelry doesn't mean I have to make every single necklace or earring I'd like to wear. I sew clothes but thad doesn't mean I can't go to a store and buy them, etc :)

15. I think you can definately order a doll with a default faceup if you like it. As mentioned artists can own work from other artists. And on the same note, authors tend to read/own books by other authors. And musicians can own music or go to concerts that dont involve them in any way.
      I think, if nothing else, its a compliment to the artist if you want a faceup done by them and have the skill yourself to appreciate the work.

16. As everyone has said, isee no reason why not =D You're getting it because you appreaciate the work someone else has done, in the artistic perspective. Theres nothing wrong in that. Also, sometimes someone elses work might fit the doll better, or the character better.

and if you think about it, with everyone being so into customized faceups and such, sometimes the default can be rather unique in the right groups. Also, every one is different because they're done by hand, so its not like your getting some lame machines slap on faceup, your getting an artists work. Its nice to get defaults, i think, because it probably reminds the artists that they have a use too ^.~

17. *Teeheehee* I love how everyone is on the same side here.

It's indeed true that it would be weird to find only oneself's art in one's home.. hadn't looked at it that way.

I did experience one time though, when I invited a friend over and he saw my Lati Red in his default, he said to me: "Sooo, you were too lazy for this one..?" It was said with a wink, but still.

18. I don't see why not... if you like the work and can pay for it what's to stop and artist from doing so?

Some artists have a single "stock" faceup they do on every single doll. For variety it might be great for them to have a doll with something different.

*shrugs*
      Raven

19. O_o Why not? I'm a professional illustrator-- and I own lots of books and art from other artists! Sometimes my art is not necessarily all that I want or love ... and its the same with dolls. If you find a default face up that just -grabs- you... I say go for it! :)

20. I don't think it is wrong to do it, just probably more expensive. If you were a professional painter, would you have your walls covered with your art or would you purchase pictures from other people just because you like them?

If you like other people's work, comission them if you can afford to. There's no wrong in admiring and liking other people's works.