1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it "Okay" for a prof. doll artist to order Default Face~up..?

Aug 27, 2007

1. WTF???

Sorry, but if you think there is some sort of rule about this, that's kinda crazy.

If ANYONE wants a default faceup, they can get one. It doesn't matter WHO they are.

I'm a professional artist (not doll artist) and I buy *gasp* art from OTHER ARTISTS!!! Now, I have indeed come across the reaction that may be similar to the one you're having, that is, "You are an Artist--why are you buying Art? Can't you do that yourself if you're an Artist?" Which basically tells me that the person (pardon my bluntness) knows very little about being an artist.

Every person is unique. They have their own ways of creating and doing things. Artists (and doll artists) are that way, too. One size does not fit all! If I want an Evenstar faceup I'll have to BUY an Evenstar faceup. I am not Evenstar, no one else is Evenstar... That person brings to it their own ability. Same with Defaults--that faceup is done by an individual, too and in a certain way. If someone wants a Default, then that's what they have to get. If the person thinks they can do a faceup they'd like better, then they can certainly do that. But there is not rule about it.

2. Why not?

I have so far done my own faceups on all my dolls, I do love some of the default face ups, mostly for the detail that I still am lacking in my own work...

As stated by Percy, Staring at your own artwork gets boring after a while. it is good to change it up with work from other professionals and anyone who can give you the doll you want.

3. That's silly.... Like asking if a painter should buy other peoples art or just display their own.

It is not only a bit arrogant but it is also very limiting for any doll artist to think that default faceups are somehow subpar. Many defaults are beautiful, and the artists who do them have more experience than most "professionals" could ever boast.

4. ClockworkAngel, when you buy dolls with default faceup, you simply show your confidence in your own work and deep respect for other artists'work!
      Go for it!

5. Uhh, yeah, chalk me up for a "WTF?" too.... I really fail to see any arguable issue here.

Did somebody, somewhere, really tell you that just because you're an artist, you can't buy dolls painted by anyone else? *boggle*

6. why wouldnt you be allowed to get something you really like just because you make simmilair things? I think you should just go for it ^^

7. How rude of someone else to dictate what you should be doing with your own doll! If you're going to pay a lot of money for a doll, then you have the right to do whatever you want with it.

Another 'WTF?!' response here - really, I can't imagine anyone with the nerve to say something like that.

8. I don't see why there's a problem with it. If you want the default get it it shouldn't matter weather you're a professional face up artist or not X3 Just my opinion.

9. I agree with this. I have done a few face ups, but I always decide based on if I like the default face up or not. I wouldn't change some, but some I don't like, so I think getting some one elses face ups is fine.

10. Bah! That's like a chef who never eats at a restaurant or someone elses home.

There's nothing wrong with liking other styles of art beyond your own. Doing your own faceups is great, but we all have leanings in style. Variety is a beautiful thing :XD:

11. That's the same as saying that because you are a painter you can only have your paintings on the walls of your house (which is a bit narcisistic :lol:). Being an artist it's actually more than normal that you would appreciate other artist's work. I don't see that as being a problem at all.

12. O___o I REALLY fail to see the point of why someone couldn't get a default face up just because they are a face up artist.

If you like it, get it. It's that simple. Just because you can do it yourself, doesn't mean you can't like or get the one pictured.

13. This doesn't seem like quite a debatable topic.
      There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a default face-up. Is a painter allowed to buy paintings by other artists? Yes. Of course. This is almost saying that one should not enjoy other people's work. How is that in any way unethical?
      I fail to see the point of this thread...

14. Even a pro can love the default faceup and decides to get. I don't see why pro can't order their kids with the default. XD

15. Honestly, my opinion on the matter is.. do what YOU want with your doll!! Who cares if you're an amazing professional faceup artist? If you like the default faceup and want it, then go for it!!! :D

16. I think that's depend on what the most you like.
      If you thank that you're enjoy with it so let's get it to be yours. XD

17. I think it's ok for a face-up artist to buy a doll with a default face-up, if it really appeals to you. I mean, I am an artist, but I still occasionally buy art that someone else created. It's not a crime for an artist to admire another artist's talents. In a way, I think it's good. It shows that you can appreciate beauty and talent no matter who creates it. If you could only appreciate things that you create yourself, don't you think that would be kind of egotistical? I kind of think so...

18. I am in no way a profesional face-up artist but I still get the same feeling xD But I do think its absolutly fine to get a face-up with the doll. Theres no set rule and yeah you can make it personal but default face ups can be special too ;D Like you didn't plan it, its they way they came ;D so even more of a self uniques character. Does that make sense? xD!

19. I REALLY fail to see the point of this thread.
      Basic point, there is NO RULE saying a faceup artist is restricted from buying a default factory faceup. NOT AT ALL.
      Im sorry but this thread really doesn't seem like it fits in the debate sub-forum. There is nothing really to debate about it. I think this is though, an interesting topic, but it's place is in the General Discussion where you can ask and see how many faceup artists get a factory faceup or prefer to do it themselves. You can even make a poll about it!

20. I'm not a faceup artist, but I don't see why a faceup artist couldn't buy a doll with a default faceup is he/she likes it? :?

On a default faceup, there is always the possibility of doing "touch ups" (eg. add blush on the cheeks, eyelashes...) on the default faceup, like I did for Yuki (Bluefairy Tiny Fairy Xiao). The Bluefairy TF dolls have beautiful and delicate faceup that is very unique. These dolls have a particular face mold, with unusually big eyes, and I feel OOAK faceups don't always look as good as the default on them.

I wouldn't say the same for other companies, for example Luts CP delf (boys and girls). Some of the most exquisite faceups I've seen on them were OOAK. :aheartbea I've seen default Luts faceup in person and they are VERY beautiful, but they are not so unique. Maybe it's why the custom Luts faceup service was so popular, but it's closed now.

Just my two cents.