1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it "Okay" for a prof. doll artist to order Default Face~up..?

Aug 27, 2007

1. I think if you like the look, who cares what others think? There's nothing wrong with liking the default faceups at all.

2. Well as I always say "What ever boats your float!" :)

You should never be pressured to do anything. Personally I'd love to be able to do my own dolls' makeup. And I plan to do it. But if for what ever reason you don't have time or don't want to do your doll's face-up, then by all means go with the defult! If you like it, do it.

3. I would think it would be okay as long as you like it, plus why should it even matter?

4. Heck no! If you love the Default face-up, and you can afford the face-up fee, why not? :3
      A doll artist not being "allowed" to get the default face up is like saying a professional artist can't collect pieces from other artists. :/

It's just silly imo!

5. I just have a hard time taking this topic seriously... it's like saying "Is it ok for artists to respect the work of other artists?"

6. oh I totally agree too. Artists shouldn't be frowned upon from appreciating someone else's artwork.

7. *enable devils advocate mode*

I can see how it could be awkward if you use your own dolls as a portfolio. Then some one familiar with ALL your dolls go "I want a face up like bobs!" and you have to say "I'm sorry, that was Luts' work. I cant offer that". You could lose a sale that way. Not many, but it'd be a little bit of angst.

Simple solution- keep a separate work portfolio. : 3 I'm sure as professionals you already know this though. ^_^

Problem solved~

Enjoy the hobby as you like. ^_^ They're collectibles, and default faceups are another facet of the collection.

8. Despite being a doll artist, there is perfectly no harm, nor is it weird, to 'fall in love' with another artist's works~
      If the default face-up appeals to you and you really like it, you can always try to re-create it yourself, or easier still, simply buy that default face-up ^_^

Truthfully, for most of the doll company's (like DOD or Luts), their default face-ups are rather nice, not 'too plain' at all~ In my opinion anyway~

=3

9. Or, in another form, is it ok for a professional detailer to order a car with a paint job s/he likes?

Um, yes. ^_^

10. Has this ever been a problem? How bizarre. While I've never painted a doll's face I am an artist, and thus I do feel a bit strange ordering custom faceups from the company. But the way I look at it - I don't have the materials or the experience to make what I want. If I ever come across a doll's head that I could learn on, that'd be great, or maybe some later doll down the road. But for my first doll, where I know exactly what I want, I'd prefer to pay someone else for it so I can enjoy their greater craftsmanship :)

11. im also an artist and i think if you have bin blessed with creativity then you should try and do your own face ups however tempting it is to by a default face up as thats what makes the doll your own and special. gives it a personal touch........ but thats just my opinion.
      but on the otherhand if you like another artists work and appriciate it then go ahead ,,,,,,there is nothing wrong with that either.

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. Is anyone else unable to find the debate part of this debate topic, or is it just me? :sweat

13. No, I'm with you on that.

I don't see where this is a debate. What are we debating? Getting a default faceup is no different than paying someone else, because it IS paying someone to paint it. It's not factory/machine applied, it's still painted on by a person just like very other faceup.

Even if there were an option to get a machine applied faceup, I still wouldn't see what exactly we are debating.

It seems to me the OP just wanted reassurance on her doll buying decision and there is probably a better section on this forum for that.

14. I'd say go for it. ^_^ I do my own faceups partly because of cost, but mostly because it's my favorite part of owning dolls... I enjoy the process almost more than I do the finished product. Especially since I'm far from "professional" yet.

But just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they can't appreciate someone else's work and aesthetic. I do two-dimensional art as well, but it's other people's work that hangs on my walls. If you like other default or professional faceups, there's no shame in buying dolls with them. ^_^

15. I think a lot of these debate topics have this problem.