1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

is it okay to replicate a limited costume?

Jul 9, 2006

1. in your personal opinion, is it okay if you absolutely love a limited edition/one of a kind outfit, to recreate it for yourself only not to sell to other people?
      i'm really torn, I'm so in love with DoT Ducan's outfit, but i doubt I'll ever have the oppertunity to buy an official one, and could with a fair ammount of ease make it, but I'm not sure if that's considered acceptable. anyone want to voice your opinion for me?

(And please, please no one say, "I cant tell you that because it's your choice what you do", I want second opions, and can conclude that I will in the end make my own choice with the information people give me)

2. People copy each other all the time. As long as you don't claim it as your own design and clearly state who you copied, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. I say go for it! Especially if you don't sell than you have nothing to worry.

4. thats a pretty good view :3

5. It only becomes a question of ethics, in my opinion, if you're trying to sell it and/or not telling where you got the idea from.

6. Agreed! If it's something you are making one of, for yourself I don't see a problem. As long as you don't make a quantity of someone else's design and sell them off you should be in the clear.

7. Go for it. :) I personally like taking inspiration from other outfits and styles.

8. Yup. my thoughts exactly.

9. I'm a cosplayer, so I replicate other people's designs all the time. But you can still be creative with something like that! Even if you did want to sell it as something inspired by Ducan's outfit, I don't see a problem with that as long as you don't claim that it's an original DOD product. Now I wish someone would make a wig like Ducan's... that's the most beautiful wig I've ever seen!!

10. ^_^ I think it's ok...you're not doing it to make profit.
      And you're obviously open about the fact that it's modeled after the one from DOD, so it's not copywrite infringment OR plagarism
      i'm having someone make Yen's model outfit, because I'm too lazy to do it myself.:aheartbea

11. I'm eyeing the wig as well, if I can just find the right wavey hair i think I can make one like it. i'm going to school to be a hairdresser and was really inspired by seeing what one of my classmates does with weave. she actually made a sort of wig out of weave hair and one of those stretchy head caps, it was really cool, and made me think, it might not be so hard to make wigs.

12. That's exactly what I did, about a week after I got my Yen ^^; It's what I actually fell in love with when I saw him for the first time.

And just repeating what the person above said before, it's what cosplayers do all the time. I'm a cosplayer, and can't design worth a dime, so I copy or commission people to design stuff for me.

13. I don't see a problem as long as you state its your own work.. lets face it, its very unlikely that its going to be EXACTLY the same... slightly different fabrics etc...

Good luck, and show us pics!

Seek peace

Carol

14. This thread reminds me of the dollzone thread

I don't see replicating the outfit from a photograph such as that of official website as too much of a problem. Eventhough some may say its piracy...etc

Replicating outfits from photographs, I think, is different from complete copying like, for example, taking the body of Yuki or a LV bag, recast from it and mass produce it. There is so much more effort and creativity from the dressmaker involved right from deconstructing the outfit to the choice of material and decoration. If you look for Cosplay outfits of Shinku on the Japanese Yahoo Auction, you will find that despite coming from the same image (Shinku from Rozen Maiden) every outfit is different because of different interpretation by the maker.

So I wouldn't worry too much about replicating an limited outfit as long as you don't buy the outfit from the official site, dissect it and mass produce it with everything exactly the same.

15. Since you have no access to the original patterns and will have to make up your own, and will probably only get similar but not the identical fabrics used, whatever you make will clearly be inspired by, but different from the original.

As long as you don´t mass-produce to sell... and should you decide to sell the copy you made for yourself, make clear to the buyer what it is... no problem.

16. I feel the same way about the Ducan outfit. I got an official one in the split I did with 3 others, but Im still going to send mine to my cousin to have one made in white and grey, with a few modifications to the design so it will be different( im going to get a Ducan next year, so he and my Camine will be brothers). I think its ok to replicate an outfit you love as long as its for your personal use. If it came down to it later, I wouldnt sell it....Id give it away to a friend becuase then it does become a personal gain from a design not your own.Its up to you though ^_^ Artists do it all the time( steal eachothers ideas) and call it " appropriation...just now people are getting tougher on it and actually getting mad when it happens

17. I used to have DoT shall but I have sold her. Before I sold her, I comissioned a seamstress to make her outfit for me. I changed the fabric of the jacket and skirt. The jacket was made of this horrible stuff that cathair and mohair (from wigs) was insanely attracted to. My shall never even wore the jacket b/c it was covered in hair within a few seconds. The new fabric is this great stuff that cathair doesn't stick to very badly, and what does get on it can be removed with a quick swipe of the hand. It's great!

I LOVE Duncan's outfit, but as soon as I saw the jacket, I knew it was made of the same fabric.

I am going to sell my fullset Lahoo soon, but I am going to get a pattern made of his top first. His ENTIRE outfit is that horrible fabric.

I think it's ok to make copies as long as you give credit where it's due. And if I was going to sell copies, I'd suggest making some little changes to it.

18. As long as it's for personal use, I don't see that much of a problem with it, for various reasons that most people have already listed. XD; Although personally I would not, I know that it's been done before - there's even a Japanese seamstress (Amaeta, I think?) who auctions replicas of Volks limiteds' clothing - so this isn't without precedent.

If it were an OOAK outfit or doll, though, I wouldn't do it, as obviously that defeats the purpose of its having been OOAK in the first place.

19. I love the limited outfits for DoT dolls, but I'll never be able to buy them legit.
      I don't see anything wrong with making them yourself.

I never actually considered the possibility of making and selling them. That could definitely be a touchy subject, but like I said, it's not something that even crossed my mind.

I'd find more wrong with copying an original outfit made by someone on this forum. They made it so their doll could have a completely unique outfit that suited them perfectly.
      The limited edition outfits are supposed to be rare, but if you made it yourself, then it's not designer, and totally negligable. Just an imitation you made because you thought the outfit was cool.
      Even if you sold them, it shouldn't lessen the values of the real ones. Infact, it would probably raise the value.