1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to collect too fast?

Apr 12, 2012

1. If you have the money, the time, and the space, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm starting out with a decent dolly boom. It's been 8 months and I have three dolls and I'm saving for a minifee (and the best friend in the world bought me her sleeping head ahhh I love her). The reason I am, and other people have mentioned it, is because I don't have a whole lot of "real life" expenses right now. I'm in college with my full tuition covered by grants and scholarships, I live with my parents, and I have a job. I know that once I get an apartment and live on my own, my expenses are going to boom and I won't be able to afford dolls.
      By then, I'll be pretty content with what I have and just buy clothes/small things for them.

I always make sure to have all the necessities for a doll before buying another, though. That's just my style.

2. I agree with others. as long as you can afford it, why not? just that it would be harder to being attached to each when you get them real fast.

3. I have only one girl but I want more! I already have planned two little sisters for her and a boyfriend. If I had more money, I would definitely already have them. :lol:

4. I think it is too fast when you buy so many dolls at once that you don't have enough time to really enjoy everyone of them.

5. often when i go out to eat, i'll order more food than i can possibly eat because my eyes are incomparably bigger than the tiny organ i call my stomach.

i feel the same way about dolls. i have an amazingly long list of dolls i like that i've come up with, but i know that i couldn't look after them all. aside from the financial issue, dolls require maintenance and upkeep, just like my other collections (i also collect anime figures). they need to be kept clean, dressed, parts occasionally need to be replaced...

what i'm trying to say is that my doll wishlist is like the menu at the restaurant. i want far more than i could realistically handle. so i absolutely agree that you can acquire things - be they dolls or other items - too fast, and i'm particularly susceptible to such behavior.

6. It was 2 years in between my first two dolls. After the second it's been pretty rapid succession and I think I'm taking much less time to savor and enjoy the 'new doll' experience now. I feel a little like I buy a new one and then set it aside for the next. =(

7. I think one can definitely be collecting too fast, although it's up to you to decide what too fast is for you personally.
      I am one of those who have been in a sort of frenzy after buying the first doll. My first BJD arrived in January of this year. Then it's been going like this:
      February: one doll, that has since been sold
      March: no less than six dolls (wow, I hadn't even realized), 3 have been sold, 2 are for sale, and I'm keeping one, the only one I really bonded with (incidentally, she was a dream doll)
      April: I managed to slow down a bit and didn't buy any dolls.
      May: two dolls and a head
      June: two dolls and ordered a body
      July: one head so far.

That makes a grand total of 14 dolls, including those that I no longer own, in a little bit more than 6 months. Wow.

So, basically, I can see when things started to go mad for me. In March I had a job, enough money to buy dolls, and I was selling my Monster High dolls and some Pullips, so I had enough money to buy every doll I saw that I liked, and I just thought that if I didn't bond with him/her, I could sell it. As a result, all the dolls that I bought on an impulse have moved on to other homes, sometimes with difficulty, as I found out it was hard to sell some particular molds. This also helped me to slow down and not buy a doll just because I liked him/her but to think about everything before buying anything, including how easy it would be to sell it if I didn't bond.

This all slowed down when I fell in love with an artist doll that I couldn't buy at once because she was pretty expensive, and I decided to save for the dolls I really loved instead of buying every doll I merely liked and that were in my price range.

Now I've lost my job, I can't afford to buy dolls like that any more, so things are going to slow down even more. I'm trying to sell things to get an Iplehouse Boris, but he will certainly be the last doll in a while, and I think I've found a way to enjoy the time with no more new dolls coming by trying to sew for the dolls I already own.

The other thing that convinced me to slow down is that I pretty much did the same thing with vintage My Little Pony, Monster High dolls, and Pullips. I bought just one, thinking I could stop there, and then it began, another one, then another one (the Pokemon syndrome in a way XD). When I realized it was too much, I just lost interest all of a sudden, and sold half of my pony collection (I still have nearly 100 of them though :p), all of my MH, and all Pullips but 3. I don't want to do the same thing with BJDs, I've been dreaming of owning at least one for years, I don't want to spoil everyting by rushing things like I did with my other hobbies.

*Wow, did I really write all this? O_o*

8. Like most people have already posted... Yes, it's possible to collect too fast, but what constitutes "too fast" depends on you.

Yes, buying my first doll opened the floodgates -- I brought home 4 dolls in the first 7-or-so months of being in the hobby. Maybe it doesn't sound like that many to you, but that was already "too fast" for me. I ended up getting burned out a little by the hobby, and took a hiatus. Since then, I've slowed down to about 1 doll per year, and sold 2 of those initial 4 dolls (with one coming on the market soon). I think my buying rate will drop even further, as I've already worked out which dolls I really want and am quite satisfied with my family.

I don't see anything wrong with people collecting lots of dolls -- how others manage their hobbies and finances is not my business, and I won't begrudge anyone if buying many dolls gives them purpose and satisfaction in life. But I know what's wrong for me and where my personal limits are, so now I'm sticking within them and not getting burned out anymore.

9. I wish somone had shown me this before I started this hobby.
      I started in Febuary of this year with an EID, it's now July and I have 14.
      3X EID
      1X SID
      10x Pukipuki

Yes it is an addiction, No I dont want to stop. I have one more on order and I think I'll try and and cut down..........Yeah right who am I trying to kidd.

WHAT CHRISTIE WANTS CHRISTIE GETS WHEN CHRISIE WANTS IT!

10. I was thinking that's i was collecting BJD too fast since 5 month but i see that i'm not alone.

In one year i bought 2 BJD & ordered one, the fisrt one in March, the second and the third (orderred) one in october.

And the last 5 month i ordered 5 doll :
      February : 0 doll (lost my job :eek: )
      March : 0 doll (start looking for a Unoa)
      April : 2 doll (i bought a Unoa lusis & a Chibi at the same time)
      May : 1 head, 1 doll and an order for a doll
      June : an order for a body (for my flying head)

This month i'm looking for another doll. It would be the last before the Ldoll in october.
      But if soom release a teenie gem in a special skin (i'm still searching) i could make an exeption :XD:

I really enjoy every BJD i have, i see them everyday & i spend time for them.

Collecting "too fast" depend of your point of view.

11. I guess that "collecting too fast" only really applies if you can't afford to pay for everyone! I adopted my second girl (on layaway) about 3 days after I got my first! XD I also have a HDF Lolly on the way too.

I think this is more of a personal preference. I want to just get everyone on my wishlist as soon as possible, but many of the other members in my local doll community are advising me to slow down. XD I'm not sure if I can do that, but I'm trying. I've actually only had my first doll for about a month and I already have two more on the way, plus one floating event head.

As long as you can afford it, then I guess it isn't bad to adopt them rather quickly. :)

12. 5 Years = 30 dolls at least one in every size + a few heads for me ~.~

My collection grew superfast through the power of layaway x.x I do think someone can collect too fast, but that's literally when someone collects but doesn't give themselves time to enjoy their dolls first, and that would be exactly what I did ^.^;; I got the box, named the doll and dressed it, put it on the shelf, focused on remembering when the next doll's next payment was due.

But then again maybe I didn't collect too fast, because now I'm actually done buying dolls. There are only a few that I actually want still, and I'm actually focusing more on the ones that I have rather than getting new dolls.

It's different for everyone, but I'm sure there are people who amass a collection too fast for themselves due to the excitement we all know and love in getting that doll, then realize they don't/can't pay attention to them all and sell some off/ cut back on the buying.

13. Sometimes they come in faster than I would care for, but I tend to collect a lot of LEs... when they're available, that's when you jump for them! And sometimes a very rare grail doll will suddenly become available on the secondhand market... and then an emergency adoption needs to happen Right Now, because you've been waiting years for this moment, and again it's time to jump. So, sometimes it rains-and-pours dolls around here, followed by months of drying-out to give the house (and bank account) a rest. :3

But I have no problem welcoming them home whenever they need to arrive here. It's part of the fun, getting to know whoever shows up at the door, whether or not you'd planned for him to be there yet. :fangirl:

14. I think it bites at the fun of waiting a bit.Though we complain about it,we never give the time to focus on the dolls coming in..It's kinda sad.:(

15. If I had the income, I know I'd already be in over my head. I only have one doll right now, but my wishlist is several sculpts deep.

While it would be so much fun to order every doll I liked, I would worry that I wouldn't bond with them all. I think everybody knows that feeling where a hobby starts to feel like an obligation, and instead of enjoying your time, you feel pressured by the stuff on the backburner.

In that way, I'm kind of lucky I can't just buy a bunch right away. It's giving me time to enjoy my first girl, who I love more every day, and it also allows me to bask in the potential of my wishlist. Hopefully by the time I order my second doll, it's going to be even more enjoyable because of all the preparation time.

I've actually been trying to make a plan about my doll collection for the long-term. Since they're pricey, take up a decent amount of room, and need my love and attention, I think a slow growing family is best for me. As such, I'm thinking I'll shoot for one doll per year. I think it would make an incredible Christmas tradition to get my family's help to bring home one at that time of the year, every year!

If I manage to do that, I'll have to narrow things down to my absolute-must-have-I'll-die-without-it favorites, and I think it will feel really special.

But if become a millionaire suddenly, all bets are off!

16. If you can afford it without it affecting your life, and you are enjoying each doll as it arrives then I don't see the problem. I bought my first doll last year, and bought three new ones this year - that was collecting too fast for me, so I decided not to buy any more dolls for this year so I could properly enjoy the ones I had just bought.

17. I received my first doll (an MSD) last November. I now have a total of 5 MSDs and 1 SD, and am wanting to get another MSD (and another SD if possible) before the end of the year. Each and every one of these dolls has a character that somehow ties in with the storyline I have going on in my photostories, and each of their arrivals (except for the first 2, because they've been in them since the beginning) have been tied in with the story as well. It's for this reason that I don't think it's possible to collect too fast as long as you're staying financially sound- i.e. not going into immense debt to feed the hobby.

18. Yes, you could. I heard of people who already bought 5-10 dolls a year. >_> It was astounding how much other people spend. It does depend on the collector though, their finances and shelf space~ and time...

19. I completely agree. I've been in the hobby since 2005 and I bought most of my dolls before I moved away for college because I had the space to store and time to play with them so it was a fast collection (for me at least).
      I have my own apartment right now but I move a lot, in fact I moved 4 times in 5 years and I'm moving again in 2 days so having a lot of dolls is not very convenient for me. That's the reason why I left most of my dolls back at home, safely stored in their boxes. I haven't bought a new doll for over 3 years now except my Yo-tenshi Mamu (which was a gift, so doesn't count). However, if I had the space and the time to spare, I wouldn't mind buying all of my dream dolls... :)

20. I feel like a lot of impulse buying goes on with BJDs and I don't particularly agree with that - probably because my dolls are highly personal representations of my characters and I don't exactly have cash to spare. I have to spend a few months considering my purchase before actually going through with it and obviously getting the money together, deciding on clothes and wigs etc so when they arrive I'm not disappointed or anything.

I think you can collect too fast in terms of not having thought through your purchase - which is clear when you find people selling a doll after a month or so.

This is of course just personal opinion, some people who might not have my constraints but are adamant that they have found the doll(s) that are perfect might collect several dolls at once and keep them for a lifetime

in short, it depends on the person.x