1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to collect too fast?

Apr 12, 2012

1. if i won the lottery then yes!! LOL
      i wish one only got paid to spend on the things you like rather than on bills and obligations, my first bjd got home in june, i won't be ordering my second until january, and that is still too soon for me considering that he is $1000

2. As long as you can afford to buy them, then no I believe it is a personal choice.

3. I don't know, I think buying seven dolls at once for a first time buyer is a LITTLE too fast, but its up to the person getting them. If they have the money to buy them and will love them then why not?

4. I think, in some ways, yes, it is possible. I bought a bunch early on in my time in the hobby (all 13 I have were acquired primarily between 2008 and 2010, almost exactly a two-year period). All but two were purchased blank (and one of those was wiped and redone), three were floating heads, all of them needed some kind of work to get them to the character I wanted (ranging from faceups to extensive mods)... and I burned out for a couple of years. Of 13, one is still floating, one just got its body a couple of months ago, four are still blank (and one is imminently going to be redone), three need magnet repairs... at least after being burned out and then too busy for them, I'm finally ready to start working on them again this year. But I'm going to hold way off on buying any new ones, even though there's still a few I'd like to add to the group! I can work my way up a little more slowly than I did right at the start, and I'll be happier if I don't have as many project dolls all waiting around.

5. As long as you can afford it, I don't think there is such a thing as too fast, especially because many times in this hobby, waiting can cause one to miss chances.

6. In the time it took for my first doll to be fully paid off and arrive (6 month layaway + 3 months of waiting), I bought 6 dolls. In fairness, I ran a lot of splits, so I was largely bringing home heads and fantasy parts instead of full dolls, but even taking that into account I still brought home two more full SD-sized dolls.

For some people, this might have been too fast. Some people need lots of time to bond with dolls, or need a respite from the commercial side of this hobby. Or they just get sick of endless layaway plans and months of waiting. For me, though, it was perfect, and I wouldn't go back to change it even if I could.

7. I want to space mine out and have time to enjoy and discover their personality. I would get overwhelmed with multiple box openings.

I think everyone is different and needs to do what they feel is best for themselves. This is a hobby, it should be fun, not full of stress.

8. If you have a lot of dolls on your wishlist, I can see a benefit in buying multiple dolls at once. Your wait time will be around the same time frame. But, then you have to worry about having supplies for all of them. Doing faceups will take forever on a bunch of new dolls, and if you like to do body blushing, then I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. I personally like having a lot of time between them. It helps so that I don't suddenly have a lot of dolls with no time to do anything with them. I only have two right now, but my collection will have over ten for sure, probably more than that. I don't think I'd want to have them all at once. Part of the fun of bjd's is developing them into a final character, and if I have too many starting from scratch, then I just dont have the time to finalize any of them to a point where I'm really happy with them.

9. Well is like a food craving like makes you think should i or should i not so pretty much i was having a silly 3 craving to buy another doll that would be male one but then again. I don't want to go bad finically so i have to contempt myself buy another rone and i have a floating head matches with the neck hole of my iplehouse SID female body only thing is i have to mod the head neck hole so it can fit deeply. Aside that i saving mullah so yea have to get sandpaper. Then see how it goes i a bit scared is first time mod i already know how to restring and changing eyes and wigs and sewing. all i need is shoes and make more clothes and doll hook etc.

10. I tend to go loooong periods without buying dolls. I guess I fall in and out of love with the entire hobby and wonder why I bought all those dolls and things - and then I get back into it and I buy another few dolls and clothes. XD So for me personally, yes, there is such a thing as collecting too fast, but that's just me. I have no opinions on how fast others want to collect theirs! :)

11. I started out as a fast collector. Once my doll family began to take shape, I slowed down a little. I try to limit myself and I'm very picky when it comes to actually purchasing dolls. Yet sometimes I get this strong urge for something (a character, a certain species) and I will spend much time searching for a doll to fit. Sometimes I just cannot get a certain sculpt out of my head. Even if I don't have a place in my family yet, I'm like: I'll make place. :p

If purchasing a new bjd doesn't get you in trouble then you are free to buy whatever you want and how many you can afford. I do think research and some thinking time are recommended, but even if you are an impulse buyer, it is your money. You can do whatever you want. Maybe you sell and buy dolls quickly. They are your posession, so it is your choice.

12. I bought 5 dolls this year, and it's only my second year in the hobby. I had my first doll an entire year before I bought a second so I guess that's okay. I had planned on going slow and just getting one or two a year..but that didn't happen...we'll see what next year brings. For now, I'm happy with the ones I have and would really love to focus on them for awhile. I think as long as you can afford to purchase the dolls you want then there's no real reason to limit yourself.

13. Only if the person later complains how broke they are & they can't afford to pay their bills or do this or that lol Yes I've seen people do this after watching their ever growing doll collection and wondering how the heck they can afford to do it. For me personally I feel like if I buy too many too close together I don't appreciate them as much. Do what makes you happy if you can afford it.

14. I think I'm probably collecting too fast...since I never had the intention of having a sizable collection in the first place. I really just wanted one doll but then he got lonely and I discovered resin dolls and well--here I am with four dolls and two in progress all in one year. I really enjoy the hobby though so I don't mind. Plus I'm in the process of selling one of my off topics so that'll help keep the numbers down. (not an advertisement just stating facts) After next year I'm going to stop buying dolls for good since I need to prep for graduation and entering the real world. Clothes and accessories will forever tempt my wallet but I really have to set the ending bar somewhere or I'd buy doll after doll until I was buried in resin and died--which is a horrible way to go.

15. I always wanna buy more than I can afford, but I only buy what I can and keep a "want list" ongoing.

16. I think this is something that would differ from person to person. I personally prefer buying perhaps one or two dolls a year and spending my time getting to know them and sorting their characters out rather than buying many in quick succession and not spending as much time with them before moving on to the next one. Someone else may just feel comfortable doing that.

17. I bought my first one this march and ordered another one last month. I'm comfortable buying one every six months so long as I have the funds. When it comes to things I like I'm of the 'the more the merrier' mind. I don't mind the space they take up either. Once I can finally get a place of my own I intend to have a craft room and will make a BJD section with shelves and cabinets for them and their belongings.

18. I am crazy when it comes to buying things. when I see something I like, it's mine!!! so I got creamy mami from volks usa last year and promised myself that 1 doll will satisfy my craze for this hobby. well that definitely didn't happen cuz I have 3 dolls at home now and 2 on the way!!!! I think I have spent around 7k for all my dolls... I think that's actually really bad considering I almost never touch my dolls.

19. For me, definitely. I'm one of those people who have a tendency to jump way too fast into new hobbies and then regret it when I discover that I don't love the hobby as much as I thought I would. After I ordered my first doll, I was so tempted to buy my next one as soon as I had the money, but I made myself wait until there was an event to order him with and now I've promised myself that I'm not going to order any more dolls until after at least one of them arrives. However there are limiteds that I've fallen in love with and I'm not sure whether my self control is strong enough.
      My thoughts for other people though, is if you have the money that is not needed for anything else, go for your life. Just don't buy dolls that you don't love for the sole purpose of expanding your collection quickly.

20. I will be finding out soon enough if I was a little silly with my doll purchases soon. In 2013 I put 10 dolls on layaway. It happened to be a good year financial wise and long layaways are like a gift from the gods. XD my roomy, Resinja also did a 7 doll layaway and she only has one doll were I have several already in my doll family. We both did a soom order together, then a massive luts one (I have two from luts, she joined me on the second order) via Favric and Friends, and then I have a DZ Miss Kitty on layaway from Mint on Card. I feel silly but at the same time I know when all the lovelies get here? I will be so happy and love them all. Sad thing is I want to do one more with Soom but I may just add the centaur to my wishlist so I can save the money instead.