1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it too expensive?

Mar 15, 2011

1. Well said catnapcaps!! As long as your happy than it's worth the effort. :)

2. You know, I've never thought that it could be as "expensive as I made it" but thinking it over it's true. HOWEVER, it is an expensive hobby, regardless.
      When I saw the resin dolls on DA I thought they couldn't be more than maybe 40USD or maybe even 80USD. But then again, I thought that they all came blank and artists painted the face themselves. (I never thought faceups were buyable features!) I was SHOCKED to find that the base price for some blank dolls was closer to 400USD in some cases. And that may be the perception thing. An outsider looking in.

Then there is the payoff, when it comes to measuring expense. Outside looking in again, there is little gained besides the object after then investment. The doll is at best a collector's item or a creative outlet. Granted there are social events and shows to go to if you're not a recluse like me. :XD:

Now I understand more of WHY the costs of dolls are so high. I did not know that these were in a sense hand-made then casted. I've looked into the casting process and that was enlightening. The cost is higher because these are little works of art! Like sculptures or paintings.

Any hobby can be as expensive as you make it but it doesn't change the fact that the lowest common denominator/base price is still high considering what we are buying.

3. this hobby is very very expensive and im having to take up a job just to pay for my girlies and their eyes/ wigs/ clothes and so on, however i will only buy them so much (no more than i would myself) and i plan to start making the clothing, which should dramatically lower the costs, along with making resin molds and creating my own dolls later on. i guess one good thing about the price is it teaches those who are younger in our community to save (if their parents arent buying for them). and quite often a good price on dolls shows a good quality, we forget that as much as we may like the price to be lower, these are handmade items, and they deserve respect, and the people who make them deserve a wage and to be able to live off of it....

4. If I am honest, now that I am saving up for several things that are important and with a deadline attached to them, ABJDs are too expensive. Things will have to take an odd turn for me to buy a doll in the next 12 months, because I simply cannot justify spending so much money on a doll while I should save up money.
      Luckily there are less expensive hobbies like knitting and painting that go well with BJDs. Once you have a doll and a basic set of clothes, a wig, a pair of eyes and a pair of shoes, this hobby does not have to be expensive. Let's just say that the start up costs are high, but the maintenance costs are variable.

5. This hobby is somewhat...expensive. It depends really on what your idea of expensive and cheap is. My friend considers BJD's "not that expensive", but that's perhaps because she lives in a rather wealthy family. I consider this hobby somewhat expensive, but it's only because I usually add things when I order. (i.e, Custom faceup, etc.) or buy several clothes and such. It really depends.

6. Again, echoing sentiments earlier on--yes, this can get to be an expensive hobby, but only as much as you're willing to pay. Personally, despite the fact I am both still a high school student and don't currently hold a job, I'm willing to wait and save for as long as it takes to get a more expensive doll. Why? Because I love him! I believe that no matter how expensive or cheap the hobby, as long as it brings one joy, they should pursue it (within their budget of course). Heck, I still enjoy very dearly my (probably only up to $150 or so for the rarer ones) My Little Pony collection even though I've got Noire and am in this hobby!

7. ~wistful sigh~ I had the very first collectable MLP, the very first boy pony (before they were available on the market), and the first run of MLP ponies ever. Had a massive collection of them, plus the castle, stable, etc. So what happened? My young sister got a hold of them, and they were trampled and destroyed by real horses. I still cringe.

Needless to say, it's some comfort to know that my BJDs will not be mauled by small children if I can help it, will not be run over by cars or trampled by horses, and they will probably increase in value. In some ways, the cost of the dolls justifies my obsession (as valuable and worthy art objects) in my own mind, as well as in the minds of others who might look at me crazy for spending so much on a doll. I can simply tell others (and myself) that they are toys to be enjoyed by a responsible and loving adult.

8. I agree that it is an expensive hobby but I don't feel that it is more expensive than any other hobby. If it is something you enjoy, you're going to be spending money on it whether it is dance classes , game consoles, computers, tennis rackets, etc. (As a high school student I spent all my spare change (meager $10/week - lunch money, + tutoring money) on art supplies...and it was hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't have had a good size BJD collection but I would have had one or two well dressed ones for the money.)

Still, it is as expensive as you make it. If you are smart and catch sales and free shipping you can get a fully dressed MSD doll for about 260. An example of this is during the promo sales where you can get a doll 30% off ($160) + $100 worth of accessories and get free shipping. That is the same price or less than a game console.

Also, I have seen many dolls sell at near the same price as their original price or more if they are in good condition. Yes the are expensive but the value, if the doll is taken care of doesn't nearly degrade the way lets say, an expensive pair of shoes...and there are some amazingly expensive pairs of shoes.

Others have mentioned that making your own doll costs more. This is true. You need the sculpting material, the sculpting tools, the molding tools, the molding material, the mold release, Primer, casting resin, resin dyes, stringing cord, hardware, sand paper, safety supplies and a safe environment to mod and cast your bjd just to make a rudimentary doll which you will probably not cast well on the first few attempts. This is also not including the amount of time you spend on it if you're not a student and have free time. For me as a freelancer, the time I would spend on it would mean I'm not spending that time promoting myself or working on jobs.

Even if you end up with a workable mold and found a good way of pouring the resin so that none to few bubbles form, you only have one sculpt. At this point you'll have spent hundreds of dollars just getting things right. For example, I recently spent 160 dollars just for molding and casting supplies for a 13cm figurine. The amount of resin I got probably will produce four-five reproductions of the figurine if I don't get any miscasts. I also can't say if the resin quality is up to par with BJD resin as it is meant to be completely covered in paint.

So the point is, some ppl might think that BJDs are overly expensive, but it really depends on which ones you buy. For the material and the work (I think most if not all BJDs are poured by hand) that goes into the dolls, there are quite a number that are priced quite reasonably.

EDIT: proper safety equipment includes a respirator ($30-$100+ depending on the type), goggles, proper ventilation fan. Resin is quite toxic, esp the fumes when it is curing so that is another factor.

9. Living is expensive. As a result, I believe any hobby is expensive. We live in a time when salaries are stagnant while expenses for food, shelter and other everyday expenses are on the rise. And, I think it is when those expenses become so high that people have very little income for their hobby that any hobby will become too expensive.

If this hobby is too expensive, I don't think it's because of the hobby itself. It's because of other factors. BJD prices do not normally rise all that much. Comparing the prices today to a few years ago, one could argue the average doll price has decreased due to new less-expensive dolls entering the market. It's also rare to see drastic price increases.

A doll or a pair of eyes or clothes are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But, this is a tough pill to swallow for those who can't afford to compete for the things they think they need. Sometimes, it's easier to walk away than it is to settle for less.

10. BJD hobby can be as expensive as any other, for example, photography. A man fascinated by something ready to spend money arbitrarily, while hobby brings him joy.

11. I'm on the side of it's as expensive as you make it, but not for the reasons I'm reading.
      For me, I usually do it rather inexpensively, but not because I cut corners and get what I don't want, but I sell things to get what I want.
      I've had a few hobbies before getting into BJDs, so now I've taken to selling past collections of stuff to afford my dolls, or I sell one doll to get another. I'm a college student - I have over $3000 in dolls. That cost is roughly half what my car cost. That's just not right to most people. But I've earned that "money" (or stuff I use to get my money) over several years of different hobbies. so over my 8 to 10 years of hobbies, I've probably invested about 3000$ But sometimes not because in several cases I was able to sell things at exponential inflation. (best feeling ever when a single my little pony cover the cost of my first BJD LOL!)

So for me my hobby isn't expensive mostly because I "recycle" :)
      I also shop second hand on DoA, and for a long while had a great streak of finding dolls ~100$ less than what they retail for :)
      :P that's since past. But I still shop second hand - for almost everything, and that REALLY cuts the cost! especially for eyes and wigs!

12. For me... yes and no. It seems expensive to just look at a price, but for me, as soon as I know I really want a doll, I'm good at finding ways to earn the money fast (and legally, of course!) You can spend a lot of money in most collecting hobbies- think about the people who build scale-models... or collect stamps. Hell, I know one of my friend's fathers collects fountain pens- and some of those PENS go over $1000! It's insane! Not to mention his wife collects jewelry pieces.

There are some people who love cars and spends hundreds of thousands getting old, classic models. And what about people who collect baseball cards? ... Doll collecting is just a hobby, and it's only expensive as you make it. I don't buy more than 1 wig and 1 set of eyes for my dolls as well as 1 set of clothes. If I want to get new clothes, I sell the old ones.

Also, try to get your priorities straight. Obviously your necessities (food, electricity, water, etc.) come first. But if you want a limited edition doll, try to get it as soon as it comes out or stalk the second-hand places for them. The sooner you can get it, the more you'll avoid an OUTRAGEOUS price later. This isn't always 100% true, of course, but if you want two dolls equally as much, and one is limited and the other is regular- get the limited first. It won't always be there, but there's a good chance the regular mold will... and you'll be saving money in the future.

13. Well, the money you have to shell out is a lot. However, if you know the work which goes into such a doll, they are just not expensive, IMO. The moulding material is very expensive, the doll material itself is not cheap. You have to design a doll first (be it with clay or a computer, does not really matter). Every doll face sculpt is different, its not like a Barbie used 1000 times.

Regarding clothes: You have to pay for these, of course. But if you look at some company's items, these are just great, looking like the real thing, or being fascinating phantasy parts.

I am also into model horses, and started to sculpt one myself. I will never again cry about artist resin's prices or ABJD prices. I am also making tack and clothes for the riders. These are to be supposed to look as realistic as possible. And so much work and time goes into these things.

Same for ABJD clothes. Even those which are designed according to real clothing take time being designed.

If you have ever done such things yourself, you can better understand why these items are not cheap. However, I still do not think they are that expensive.

Good quality items cost their money. My two cents here.

14. Is it expensive? Yes, it is. But I'm not saying it's not worth the money. It is true that BJDs are unique items with a lot of labor and artistic work behind each doll. So I don't think we're overpaying for the dolls or throwing our money away - no, they do have a ton of quality for the price. But are there hobbies that require less investment? Sure. I zentangle, for example. All that takes is a black pen and some Bristol paper; the contrast is drastic, isn't it? ;)

With that said, it's hard to draw the line and totally easy to spend a lot more on clothes, wigs and accessories a ton of money I probably didn't need to spend to enjoy the hobby in general. So it's an expensive hobby that is often made more expensive but that fever I feel in my bones when I see a new clothing line or a new dollhouse set (I'm into tinies, but I'm sure everyone has their temptations).

15. I’m under the impression that this hobby “can” be done VERY cheaply especially when compared to other hobbies (my boyfriend spent more on warhammer lol). It really is a matter of preference, taste, and what the person’s purpose is. There are many different ways a person can collect.

How many dolls are they looking for? Do some want a complete cast of their story line, want to collect for a quantity of certain molds, or just want two or so to play with?

A lot of money can be saved by making their own doll clothes, but some people just do not get enjoyment from sewing and that’s not what they’re looking for in the hobby. For others it’s important to have various wigs, eyes, clothing and shoes for a variety in photos and looks.

Another is style. Some are naturally drawn to the more expensive bigger dolls, while others really enjoy the tinies and they happen to typically be cheaper.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot of other possibilities too. ._. However, I can totally understand if a person’s purpose/goals in the hobby cannot financially be met then they just won’t bother continuing. Especially if they cannot bond with anything different/cheaper. Plus, if the person is having general life financial issues then anything can become too expensive.

16. They're like pets. A cat can, initially be expensive or inexpensive, you could find a spray or buy on from a friend, or you end up going to a shelter and pay a mid price, or you get some purebred whatever. Either way you give a cat a home, but yes, the initial price is your decision. And you have the money to spend. Yet, later on,for pets you buy food (for dolls, wigs and junk, because face it, nude dolls just aren't the cup of tea of many), and it costs money. You spent said money, all's well that ends well. But then, your wages are cut, you have a kid, your mother moves in with you, whatever. You need more money. And then, look, there's a really big resin bank on your desk top. You sell it, and there you go, some bills are paid.

17. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI think it is a expensive as you make it. One doll or many, whatever, but I really feel that the dolls themselves are very costly.Its whatever you want and whatever you can spend. The bottom line is...are you having fun???????

18. I am loving this thread; thanks to Skyza for introducing it. As someone who's just got into the hobby (my first BJD is five days fresh), it's a topic that has been spinning around in my head a lot lately.

I have to agree with the general consensus: the initial outlay for this hobby is, without a doubt, expensive, but how expensive it ends up truly is in the control of the doll owner. From my own newbie experience, I would say that perspective and as many have said, knowing and respecting your financial limits, are important. (In order to fund my next BJD, I'm currently dismantling another doll collection that I can see just got out of hand; where were those limits and perspective?!)

I have a friend who is very devoted to photography and will tell me about his $5000 or $2000 lens-not in any bragging way, but as two things that were necessary for the achievement of that level of his hobby. I'm into photography as well, but can't even imagine spending $5000 on a lens, but if I get the 3 other BJDs I'm currently craving, that will surely put my cash outlay at near $5000! So, yes, it's all relative to what's important to the person in their particular hobby, I guess.

As others have said, as long as we don't exceed limits and don't neglect obligations, responsibilities and necessities, "let 'er rip", is my opinion.

(My mind is boggling on how, through the decades I've been through doll collecting, an expensive doll for me has gone from $50 to $200 to $400 to now nearly $1000. Insane!)

19. As someone who lives on a very strict budget, I can say that this is definitely a rather expensive hobby even at the low-end range of dolls. On the other hand, I've probably spent less on Chae-ri and her accessories than my roomie has spent on DVDs and Magic cards, so I feel no guilt at all. :D

Way I see it: as long as you don't go hungry or homeless or let your family starve, anything you do with your own "spare" money is your own business.

20. Well, sure, it's not a cheap hobby but as I don't believe in artists having to starve to survive and, like others, knowing how expensive both in time and materials resin casting can be (let alone annoying when materials don't behave as they're supposed to ie. you've been sold $$$ worth of old silicone moulding material that is past its shelf life and won't set, one of my biggest pet peeves) ...let alone the airbrush and hand painting aspects, the sewing and assembling etc etc. Form that point of view can completely appreciate the value of a well executed doll & see that in this hobby it can definitely be worth every penny....that is when you get what you pay for. It can be equally annoying when, especially with clothing and accessories, that you've shelled out for something from a reputable company that has not then met expectations. Expense really is relative to quality in that sense.