1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it too expensive?

Mar 15, 2011

1. I agree with the initial cost being expensive. However, to some of us who can't sew clothing that small or are not accomplished artists for face ups, that can make the cost even higher if you want a doll to look like you really want it to (and not some weird product of an attempt of your own). But, having someone do the work for you is not mandatory in this hobby. Since I am not confident in my own skills, my dolls go years without a thing done to them. I've had my BBB Weylin since June 2008 and I'm still not done. My LJK is still in is box too. College students are poor *cries*

It also doesn't help that I've started investing my money into a second hobby (if you wanna talk about an expensive hobby, try kimono :doh)

2. No matter how you put it, this hobby *is* expensive. No, the dolls don't tell you to go out and buy new things or new 'siblings" for them, but it is partially a collecting hobby and if you want your dolls to look nice, well, you either have to put the money down or learn how to do it yourself (but then, ah, there's materials).

It's not to say people without awesome finances can't do it though. Us money sad people just have to save more to do it. I'd never quit because of it. I'd "quit" for the time being, however, if I really needed to sell them for bills (which has come close once or twice)

3. It is an expensive hobby but there are many hobbies that are costly. I've been into and gotten out of lots of things through the years!!!
      Building radio controlled car and planes, or HAM radio building/operating, even knitting. I have spent a fortune on imported yarns I will probably never use up!
      I'm an older Mom, pushing 50, but still have teenagers. I feel anything I buy related to my hobby is completely disposable. Even my dolls & bjd's. Meaning, if I spend on materials or goods related to my hobby, its like losing it in Vegas -
      - For me , that freedom of thinking allows me to get the most joy out of it. Just as when you were a little child, you never thought about how much a toy cost - how many hours you/your parent worked to pay for that toy -- you just played with it. Enjoy the memories ~ relax and try not to over analyze :-P

4. I so Totally agree with Mesadollz.......... Kudo's to ya Mesa, you hit it right on the money!
      (*hugs*)

5. I think it's a mix of both - I'd say only 25% is expense you can't control, i.e., price of dolls. Sure you can get a doll in the marketplace, or from less expensive companies, but you're still going to shell out more than you would for a Barbie. Even the "cheapest" dolls will set you back some.

But then the other 75% is on you. Do you need to dress your dolls in DollHeart? Do you need to always get the face-up commissioned? No, no you don't. We could dress our dolls in less pricey clothes, and try doing the face-ups ourselves. Personally, I'm really apprehensive about sending my doll to someone just after I get it just for the face-up. You don't have to invest in 120 different pieces of clothes and shoes, accessories, and doll stuff. I tend to just play it by ear - which can be detrimental (I sorely need a carrying case, and I really wish they had combo-sized cases), or it can be helpful because I don't end up buying stuff I just don't need.

And you also make it expensive if you buy more than one doll, and stick to the same routine as you did with the previous one. Now you have to multiply how much you've spent by each doll.

But some of us go the more expensive route (which is there prerogative). You just have to know how much you're comfortable spending. I think I'm intrinsically wired to never save as much as $700-1,000. It'd take too long, and over time, more calculations of what I *could* buy with the money would invade my mind. I tend to go the inexpensive route because I'm impatient, though not so impatient that I'll settle for poor quality. I do my research.

Like others have said, all hobbies can get expensive. I also think that the term 'expensive' is very subjective to the hobby you're into. An inexpensive doll is like your BBB and RS dolls, and your expensive dolls are upwards of $700. If some place was selling BJDs for $30, I'd buy some; however, if a company sold dolls for $2,000, I'd never touch them.

I once bought a collector's comic of Batman and Superman, each costing $25. I didn't think that was expensive, but my dad (who kind of knew about that) thought it was. Just like when I tell them that Emma's 'victory' hand costs $9, and they freak out.

6. Hrm.....well, there are many factors to this. Everyone could pretty much manage to have a different view point on this. For example. Personally, I do not find this hobby that expensive. Why? Well.

First, I have one doll. I am happy with one doll, only planned on one doll, and still do not intend on getting any more dolls. Most people in the hobby have even as many as 20+ dolls. This would make the hobby more expensive for these people, no? Me buying one doll, compared to these people paying well over $1,000 because of having so many dolls ((and seeing how each doll would start around at least $200 each)), it seems like to these people the hobby would seem more expensive than it does to me.

Next, it also depends on how much..stuff a person would get for their doll. Someone who buys a ton of clothing, wigs, eyes, props and ect. might see the hobby more expensive than someone who might buy a few outfits and ect., or maybe makes their own clothing.

But then, also another point is how much money the person has. All the other points can be rather invalid compared to this. For example, after buying clothing((and making)), the eyes, wig, and the doll himself, I still don't see the hobby as expensive. Yes, I do only have one doll, but I do not see that the money I spent on him as that much, and I do not think that $20-$30, maybe $40 depending on what it is, on an outfit to be a lot of money. If someone does not have that much money, or thinks that certain amounts are a lot, then obviously the hobby is more expensive to them than it is to someone who doesn't see certain amounts to be a lot. When I tell my friends how much I spent on my boy, and how much clothing costs, they look at me like I'm crazy. To me though, I just think how this cost is no different than me buying figures((I spend hundreds on this alone)), or convention tickets((since I love anime cons; all together all the cons I go to aren't exactly considered cheap)).

So yeah.....so many factors that it is hard for me to answer really; guess it goes both ways. :sweat *_*

7. It's definately as expensive as you make it. I go through moments where I spend thousands and then I tell myself okay no more dolls, clothes etc. for a couple of months and then I slow down. It's not like someone has a gun to your head telling you to buy all these things...(although it sometimes feels like it, LOL). I think all hobbies are expensive. I play golf and everytime I go to the golf course its over $100 easily...so its all in the control I would say.....or lack thereof.

8. I believe that the hobby is only as expensive as you make it, in the long run.

Even though the main pieces are expensive, there are ways to keep it on the cheaper end after the initial purchase. An example would be with clothes and accessories, I prefer to buy sets rather than individual pieces. Just because i can sometimes mix and match clothes and create more than one outfit for my dolls. Some on the second hand sell whole sets relatively cheap.

If one can't afford to buy clothes, then learning to sew is not a bad option. If buying some fabric, pins, a needle and thread threatens your mortgage, maybe this wasn't a hobby that you should have jumped into in the first place.

It is expensive, as are most hobbies. Can you afford it? That should be a call that you make before even making your first doll purchase. If you can't afford to make or buy clothes, eyes, face up, shoes and a wig, why are you buying a $100+ doll? You know your budget for luxury, research on the hobby would let you know what you could expect to spend on the higher end vs the lower end if you joined and if it fits your budget.

Stickershock is usually the first thing people get when researching this hobby. Yes, we know the dolls can be pricey for anyone's range, and once they get beyond the inital shock, I think people should take into account that they may want to change wigs and eyes as well as clothes.

There are few people that can be satisfied with their doll(s) never changing clothes, but there are also plenty that would eventually find their one outfit not enough and would need to have more. That's the kind of thing that people should look into at least before taking the plunge. Are you going to be satisfied right out of the box or are you going to need extras? Could you sew a new shirt/dress/pants or would you have to buy it?

I say this, mostly because the market these days does not always allow for one to get all of their money back once it's spent. Especially if one purchased a sculpt in low demand.

You should know yourself and know your budget, before getting in. We spend something, whether it be time, money, or effort to make our dolls pretty to us. That's what this hobby is for owners and if you're not willing or able to foot the bill in any combination of those this probably wasn't the hobby for you from the start, unless you just like to watch from the sidelines. If you admire the dolls without owning you're still a part of the hobby, I'm not saying by any means spend cha-ching or gtfo :lol:

9. Of course it's too expensive. Any hobby is too expensive -- try model railroading, for instance. At the risk of repeating myself here's the definition of "hobby" -- 'a black hole into which you pour all your disposable income, plus quite a bit more that is not actually disposable...'

10. I love it!! That is so perfect :-P

I can't stress enough that if the money spent on a "hobby" causes you concern or distress - you're doing it wrong. Hobbies are meant to bring enjoyment or satisfaction of some sort. Nothing less.

Look at all the fine bjd's you own. The parts and face sculpts you have yet to put your creative mark upon -- be grateful in your Heart and the negativity surrounding the money aspect goes by the wayside.. ... .. well a little bit at least!

Somnambulist --- You said it perfect also.. " Know yourself and know your budget before getting in" -- That's 9/10 of whether or not the hobby will make you happy or not.

11. Nothing is to expensive if you love it.

12. Is this hobby expensive, or is it as expensive as you make it?
      It's definitely expensive to start with that's for sure. (Really depends on the type of BJD's you're interested in but nonetheless expensive) I'm like super new to the whole community and the reason why I didn't want to start was the fact that it's expensive. I was a bit persuaded/influenced by my friend who really wanted a DD and that's how I decided to join.

My mentality of buying things or doing certain things is "What do I get out of it? What's the purpose?" Hobbies necessarily don't need a purpose though. Some people just like to collect random things and that's their joy. I personally don't have that desire/mentality as much because to me it seems wasteful if not used. I barely even collected figurines and all I do with them is just stare. (though they're really cute~) But my friend was saying that at least for DD's/dolls you can change the clothes, take pictures, go to meets and whatnot. It's much more purposeful than like... collecting rocks. (No offense to anyone)

But of course changing clothes and what not requires more money after the initial cost of buying the doll, but that's part of the reason I chose to buy it. Because I knew I would change the clothes and have fun customizing and whatnot. So I think it's the fact that you know it's expensive but you choose to take the road to join in on the hobby anyways. : o

Because if you think about it... the cost you put into the dolls/clothes/etc. can be put into something more necessary like say food/clothes. That might be why some people back out because they might need the money. And for me, I actually decided on getting a limited edition DD so that if I ever want to back out on this whole hobby for any reason, I'll at least get some profit. ewe;; *Terrible person*

Oh and the whole opinion about "expensive as you make it" I think it's true because it's your decision of what kind of doll you want. You can always get a cheaper version or cheaper doll brand. etc. But there are people that just want that specific kind and don't really want to compromise to that. So unfortunately for them they'll just have to take the expensive road.

13. Of course it's expensive! You'd have to make a lot of money to think it isn't. The dolls themselves are expensive for me because I have mostly over 60cms and almost 6 of them, which means 6 different types of wardrobe to go with them. Yes they are expensive I'd say, having to dress them, 'wig' them, 'eye' them, it all costs money. Do I complain about it, no..ok well yes but only when I get a customs charge. ;)

14. Is this hobby expensive, or is it as expensive as you make it?

A little of both. Either you're tempted to buy a new doll, or the doll that you've always wanted is too expensive. :...(

15. I think the hobbie is as expensive as you make it you can get bobobie dolls for under two hundred dollers or you can get a soom doll for under one thousound you can hnd makw wigs and clothing or you can buy clothing and wigs if someone gives up a hobby thts there choice but they also made it expensive themselve

16. We have to admit it, it is expensive especially for people who are in class C in society. 200 dollars is 200 dollars some can't make that kind of money in a few months. But think about it, most of the hobbies are expensive. Some people would pay 800 dollars for a fish tank (yes and they will die in a year or two), some people would pay 400 to 500 dollars for a remote controlled cars. There are so many hobbies that are also this pricey. but who cares? that is their money and they are happy about it. Same with us doll collectors. Many people will tell eeww so pricey why buy? and I was like I'm happy with my dolls and its my money in the first place so it's none of their business! right? ;)

17. Its expensive as you make it! I guess if you lose control and buy, buy, buy, then it can be very expensive. I have myself and 2 daughters to supply dolls to. We try to buy pre-loved, preferable already faced up, wig etc, that keeps costs down, but I do like to have a special doll that has a really beautiful outfit, then I like to have a doll that I can "play" with and change her clothes often. I think in a way, its good to have it a bit on the expensive side of things so we can really think - Is that what I really want? It forces perhaps wise decisions.

18. I'll be the minority that says it's expensive, because it is.

Thinking about it, I can live off of $100, or less, for groceries per week, maybe even 2 weeks depending on where I'm shopping. $100 won't buy me a super mould. Sure, you can cut costs by just getting 1 of everything that you need, but that's still a decent chunk of change.
      I don't hang about with $500 at my disposal at any given time. I have to save up from each of my paychecks so that I can afford whatever it is I want, right now it's my first mould. It's not just something I can buy, my income doesn't allow it.

I can see where some people have to give it up, circumstances change. Sometimes people need money, and they need it fast, so they just liquidate what they know will give them what they need more at the time. Or, sometimes people lose interest. For example, I used to listen to Backstreet Boys on repeat, now just when I'm in the mood. On the other hand, I always have, and always live, love Simon and Garfunkel. When you just don't like something anymore, it's hard to justify spending a lot of money on it, or keeping something worth a lot around you anymore.

19. Well I do understand why they are expensive but sometimes I think: Couldn't it just be a little cheaper, with some dolls.
      but I think the clothes may be a lot cheaper. I mean other dolls clothes aren't that expensive why are BJD clothes. they are way smaller and sometimes more expensive than human clothes..

20. I don't think this hobby is more expensive than many other hobbies, and as I've said before: you get what you pay for, it's quality art. Now there are those of us who are little shopaholics and use this hobby to fill that void, or even general obsessive personalities that feel they have to have it when they see it, but you know who you are! That doesn't ruin it for the rest of us who know our limits and stick to it. Have control, know your limits, make goals and always feel out a situation before just jumping in, and you will only sound what you can without regrets. That's my motto, hope it helps others.