1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'wrong' to buy dolls to customise for resale?

May 22, 2009

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I think, it's just like doing customized face up. Customizing it and then reselling it, isn't wrong. As you are theoretically paying for one of a kind for a BJD. So it's not wrong. Besides, like a lot of people have posted here before. It's nice to see a variety of BJDs, that reflect different visions of people's ideas. ^^

2. I don't really see anything wrong with that. I believe if your a good enough artist and you believe you would be able to sell the final product then fine!
      I personally wouldn't buy a OOAK modded doll unless it was quite well done. I'm terribly lazy and I'd rather buy a blank doll as I can trust the modders I ask will be good ^^

3. Nothing wrong with it at all. As long as people want to buy it, sell it. If some people get on their high horse about it... Well they weren't going to buy it in the first place, so its not like you lose a customer.

Can't half tell I'm business based :sweat

4. I personally love to do customs and faceups. I'm not the best, but it's fun. And I have a lot of ideas in mind that would not fit in with any of my characters. I have 26 dolls planned, 28 if I get my boys (two that I'd designed before knowing about dolls and didn't have any intention to turn them once I found out but am swaying more into it) and I don't need any more.
      What I'm thinking is that there are plently of dolls I love and would kill to do customs on, but that I don't want to have or that I'd want anymore with the customs. I just want to do them. So when I ge better and the economy gets better, I'l start buying an extra doll or head with everyone of my dolls. I'll get my baby settled in before even opening he other to make sure I don't get to attached and keep it away from my other dolls so they don't get attached. Then I make it my project and put it up for sale. Once it's sold I use the money I make to get the next one when the time comes.

So that way I don't really gain or lose any money, making it soley for the fun of it, and someone gets a doll that no one else can possibly have.

5. I think that it would be perfectly fine. I mean, you are expressing yourself as an artist and giving the world an opportunity to purchase dolls that they themselves may not be able to customize on their own...

I think it is a great idea if it makes you happy. Just don't overcharge I suppose.

6. I don't think it's an issue as long as they're not super LEs. If you've got the skills, then why not? ^_~ I personally love customizing and creating characters, but I don't think my painting skills are as good as the finest out there. I would offer my services if they were though and would consider offering custom dolls!

7. That seems like a fine idea, I think it is great since you are using your skills to bring someone else happiness with a new doll. :)

8. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I customise blythe and enjoy doing different styles but havent got room or the emotional energy to bond with so many dolls. I only keep the ones special to me. I am not a very good artist and with my BJD's they all have the company stock faceup and sometimes I want a custom faceup but just don't have the talent to paint the eye brows. I think selling your unique dolls it fine and it is your artistic vision come to life with your own style which isn't avaliable anywhere else. I see nothing wrong with that!

9. Im all for it. But its probably more about if there are people willing to pay for what u have charged them. Like some have mentioned, they only want a blank one to work on themselves. But theres definitely people who are very keen to purchased customised dolls, who would hate a gorgeous piece of work?

10. I think by customizing you're adding value to the doll. Faceups take time, effort and materials to do. If you need to buy the head and body that costs money. If you create a fullset then that adds value too. In essence what they are paying for is the materials you bought (chalks, body, head, eyes, shoes, fabrics, etc) and the time it took for you to make everything (several hours of drawing, modding, sewing, etc).

I plan to release a fullset using a male 55cm Obitsu body and Haruka head. Just the head and body sets me back over 200 dollars. I would at least need that much to buy another doll to work on my next fullset project.

11. I think it's a great idea! If you CAN customize, it's a great way to fund your own collection or release some of those creative talents!

12. Great idea. Taking a common doll and turning it into a one-off gives you the fun of making it, and someone else the joy of owning it. Not everyone has awesome sewing or facepainting skills, and by doing something like this you give people who are having trouble coming up with a character or a "theme" for their doll a place to start.

13. It's not wrong, in my opinion. From your words, I like it how you are doing it all because you love the process of creating beautiful things and not for making profit. Of course, when you get more famous later on, a little extra monies won't hurt.

If some people are branding you as a scalpel because you raise the price of the doll after customization, you can just ask yourself. What is the price tag you put into your customization process, which can be said, your artwork? If people complains about that, then they're being childish and there's no need to worry over that.

In the other hand, like a few had said before, some people may not want to buy customized dolls since they wish to do so by themselves. This may cause you to have some delay when selling back the doll on top of the time spent customizing.

Of course, I believe that there must be someone out there that will be interested in your style when you keep trying and getting better.

14. I think it's awesome. A couple of my dolls have customizations from other artists and it was what attracted me to these individual dolls. I never would have given the company doll a second look, but the ones I have are one of a kind and very special to me.

15. Its like Flip that House! Errr....anyway! No I don't think its wrong at all, I like seeing some peoples customizations and would rather buy them straight on then just an brand new doll. I for one wouldn't do it (I'm not talented in doll modding) but to I think its a great idea =3

16. i think that putting in the time and effort to customize something with the intention of reselling is nothing you should be worried about... if anything, it gets your name out there as a customizer, and you're doing something that you love; and people are going to love what you do, as well :)

17. I thinks its fine and a good idea.

But if it was a limited dolls it'd kind of bother me. like..image one night you saved just enough money for this limited doll, with its clothes face up and everything like the company image and you were just about to press addcart but there was only one left and when you press add to cart you get an error "sorry this is out of stock". D: !

Now then that 1 doll was bought by someone who just wanted it to make money no intention of keeping. Didn't buy the face up or clothes or blushing then they start drilling holes and painting on it and then its up for sale. :lol:

Of course both people wouldn't be aware of what happened.

I'd think that's wrong? and horrible luck. Just because that person who reallllly loved it couldn't get it because someone who just wanted to make profit bought it minutes before.

18. Personally I see nothing wrong with buying cheap and selling high, especially if you put effort into it and take the risk. This is what we had to constantly tell people when we bought and sold horses. Yes we got the horse from the auction for a -lot- cheaper then they were buying it from us. But we took the risk that the horse was lame or dangerous and we got burned more than once. We also took the effort to get the horses healthy and train them.

If you are fixing up damaged dolls you are taking the risk that it might not be fixable. If you are doing face ups you are putting your cash into something that may not pan out. You are also putting your time and effort into it, which is worth something. With dolls you have to be careful because you will reach a cap on price. No one is going to pay $1000 for a $500 doll. You have to weigh the cost of what you are doing to the cost of what its worth at its peak. You really have to be careful to figure out what things like shipping and supplies will cost.

I also dont see whats wrong with buying a limited and doing this as long as you have a good vision in mind and are not trying to scalp the limited editions. If you keep your prices reasonable I dont think people will take offense. If you buy 5 of a doll thats limited to 10 and basically hold it ransom for a high price then yeah people will get upset. But just one, I dont think so.

However I will agree with some others here. I would rather not pay extra for a doll because of custom face up. I have seen a few for sale on ebay that the person bought some heads and did face ups then gave a price break down of "well the head is worth x new and about x used but since it has a custom face up I am going to charge $30 more". Well I didnt particularly like the face ups and would rather not pay $30 more for something I was going to wipe as soon as it arrived. No one else had these heads for sale so it wasnt like I had an option.

So just beware that some people would rather depreciate a doll in price because it has a face up rather than pay more.

19. I think that if you get a commission and the person is willing to pay the costs, it isn't so bad. You could charge a certain "commission fee," or a fixed rate to do as much or as little as someone wants to a doll, plus the costs of the doll itself. For example, if someone wants the face made up, charge them $50 or $75, and so on if they want more you can do.

I however, would not put all that money into it just to sell them.