1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'wrong' to buy dolls to customise for resale?

May 22, 2009

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with this practice in itself. (This combined with thinly veiled flipping is another issue, one that I don't agree with.) If an artist can make a doll more attractive to them then it's probably more attractive to someone else. A lot of people don't even trust companies before they see custom repaints of their heads, it helps to make sure they look nice from someone not affiliated with the brand.

Would I buy a doll from someone who specifically bought it to customize it? Yes, if it was in my budget.

2. :)
      I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this as you might like something on one doll and something on another and this make this doll become unique to you.

3. Hi I can see nothing wrong in doing this as sometimes one doll might have a lovely head or outfit that you like and another something else in which you can combine them making the doll unique to you.
      brenison

4. Actually, I can see all sides of the fence on this one. I could see someone getting upset if it was a rare doll that you can hardly find anymore, and the only one you can find happens to be modded. On the other hand, if you were to make customized characters, and someone happened to like these characters (especially if they came as a fullset), I would think it'd be a great idea! Especially for those who aren't good at customizing and would prefer to just buy one already made.

I'd definitely pay for customized dolls of my favorite band (without doing the whole Minimee thing, since I want them to look like cartoon versions of the members. Jun Planning did it with their Hash doll) and I'd love to see one of Miku Hatsune, seeing as how she's so popular now. XD

5. I dont think there is any problem with making any doll into a custom. It is your doll after you buy it, and IMO, once it's paid for, the buyer should be able to do what they please with it. Lots of people customize dolls and sell them for profit, or whatever. I think it's great that people do this, because it gives others a chance to get a very limited edition doll. The customizers that are very skilled deserve praise, and shouldn't be expected to keep every doll they ever customize, simply because they would run out of space. Plus, many customizers want to share their work with the world, in order to become known. Whether it be for money, or recognition, anyone with talent wants to share their work.

6. Ooh.. I agree with this point. Well made, i think. I probably will feel quite upset about this. :...( Especially if I was plan to get one of these dolls for myself in the future.

7. I can see both points as well but sometimes that is just how it is, we find out to late we want a specific doll and it has been customized.

I dont think its wrong to buy a doll to customize it. If the opportunity arises, ou customize it then re sell it I dont see the problem in that. Its a form of artistic expression which this hobby easily lends it self to.

8. I don't see anything wrong with buying to customize for resale. It is just another way to enjoy the hobby. :)

9. I have to add to my previous two cents worth.... having rethought it..... If I saw a 'Berman that had been modified (resin mods) expressly for resale... I'd probably blow up in a fit of rage... nicely of course - but blow up none-the-less..... I wanted one so badly and missed out by this much >>> *holds fingers millimeters apart*

Limited are one-thing but hard to find is another.... Even dolls that were just unpopular (The original Luts NaNuRi for example) Is one sculpt that I love as is and I'm always trying to get my hands on another unmodified one but STILL havent found one untampered with as yet.... So yeah I still dont/do have an issue with it LOL

On the flip side - there are dolls that I would prefer to buy already customised with a wee-bit of sanding to improve proportions (FL El's nose) or already glammed up (Pepstars Bobobies) as without that artists touch they would never appeal to me....

10. I think it is kind of a cool thing. Because the artist gets to practice on all different molds and sell the final dolls like an art piece. It will improve the artist's skill and provide beautiful dolls to people willing to pay the price.

11. I don't see why it would be a problem.

12. i actulley plan on buying a couple of dolls to mod on and sell them for the same reasons you do.... i think is alright as long as it not a super rare doll or nothin'.... and also if you don't over price it...

13. I don't liek the thought of selling my doll, I fought skin and bone to him.

14. No , nothing wrong , you are not buying them to make a profit but rather to practise your creativity and in the end share them with somebody else ...

15. There is nothing wrong with it. If you buy a doll you can do what you want with it, and that includes selling it.

16. I don't think there is nothing wrong with it.
      If you're goal is to mod/paint up dolls, this might be the way to start a marketplace store as well. That way you can continue modding, getting paid for it and not having to purchase the doll.

17. I love my OOAKs and once I trust an artist, I stick with the artist. I also know that the new look can far outway the old..... AnnMarie

18. I came here to say pretty much the same thing. Doesn't bother me at all, and I love to see what others do with dolls. Sometimes I end up liking the customs for sale on YHJ etc more than the defaults.

19. Hnnn, by customising the doll, you're adding to it's value. (hopefully, if you do it well xD)
      So in theory it's value would even go up and you should be "allowed" to ask a higher price. You're not making a profit off the doll that way, only off of your customisations, which are entirely your work.

Of course, that would get tricky when it concerns a limited sculpt. Since the price would rise not because of the work you've put in it, but because of it's rareness.

20. I love to see customization and dream of developing a skill for it myself. I was happy to see all the
      in-favor comments here.