1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'wrong' to buy dolls to customise for resale?

May 22, 2009

1. I don't have a problem with it.

When a person buys just to flip it and make a profit, then there is no value added by the transaction. It just costs the consumer in the end.

When a person buys, make changes, they are adding value. It still costs the consumer vs. the original price, but in this case, at least they are getting added value.

2. Nope. Some people don't like that people just sell dolls without emotional attachment, but I see it as merchanting and you *are* adding to its value, so go for it.

3. Wow this thread is years old... I love the idea of people modding dolls and selling them on, especially if they do unusual things people couldn't otherwise buy. Heavy modifications are particularly interesting to me so I'd probably consider buying some myself!

Does anyone know what the OP ended up doing?

4. I guess I am struggling with the basis of these questions. Are you wanting to know if it is against the rules of morally wrong? If it was against the rules of DOA, I am sure one of the mod squad memebers would pipe up and let you know. As for if it is morally wrong, I do not think this a question you sould be asking the forum. We are not the ones to tell you if something is right or wrong from that standpoint. It is up to you to determine that and follow your heart where it leads you.

5. I love to do this for repairing (rather than customizing). I love the feeling of accomplishment after fixing a doll, so I like to buy dolls, fix them up, then resell them so I can do it all over again with the next doll. It doesn't feel wrong to me, because repairing dolls is kind of addictive for me, but I really don't have room/money to keep them all.

6. I did this with a Hujoo berry, and a Bobobie Lan. Teh hujoo from face-up, to wig and clothes, the Lan..did her wig and outfit. I also love to create but can't keep?afford them all! (these are on Etsy now) Teh two I willnot part with Are my Angel of Dream Meng Li (Sephora), and my 1/6 Only Doll (not named yet)

7. Also, by doing this you can help someone get a doll for less than they might be able to otherwise. Not everyone has an unlimited budget!

8. I did this with a Hujoo berry, and a Bobobie Lan. Teh hujoo from face-up, to wig and clothes, the Lan..did her wig and outfit. I also love to create but can't keep?afford them all! (these are on Etsy now) Teh two I willnot part with Are my Angel of Dream Meng Li (Sephora), and my 1/6 Only Doll (not named yet)<BR>

9. I don't think it is wrong.
      It is a good thing to see those pretty custom dolls.
      I custom my dolls also after bought from Original site.

10. I don't see anything wrong with buying to customize for resale. I'd love to buy one if it's nice and within my budget then I'd have one unique doll ^_^

11. A lot of people already make a business of buying Barbies from yard sales and the like only to re-do them and customize them, and re-sell them. Some people just do not have the talent to do things like wigs or eyes or face-ups. If a person makes a business out of re-selling dolls after customizing them, all the power to them to share their talents. :)

12. I agree with everyone, I don't see anything wrong with it. :)
      Linda

13. I think it's perfectly fine, especially for those of us that like to customize but don't really want that big of a collection, or don't have enough money!

14. Why would it be? Win win, right? Someone gets a beautiful customised doll, you get money for your hard work and effort.

As for the comments by people who are annoyed because they want a blank doll, I think that is like being annoyed at a car company for making red cars when you want a blue one. It is just a different product. If you want a blank you buy blank, if you want a customised doll you buy a customised doll.

15. Since I would happily give a kidney for one of Avvelenato's customized guys...no, I don't think it's wrong. Heck, I don't think the "wrong" and "right" value judgements even apply.

16. I don't think that is a problem .. some people prefer to buy the doll in a whole set with dress, wig and eyes all together.. instead of shopping around. I would be a customised doll myself especially if the doll have a beautiful face-up.

17. This is something I've always wanted to do!
      I don't expect to turn over profits though. I generally only buy dolls who have predetermined characters, so buying attractive dolls to customize and resell is an appealing idea. I want too many dolls to sensibly own or keep. XD

I do wonder if someone would end up wanting the doll I sell blank, which would then completely defeat the purpose of spending the time and money to create something you'd hope others would appreciate and want to buy. 8/

18. Its nice to buy a customized doll and maybe make a few changes.
      Some dolls when you customize, it costs a lot, wrong eyes, wrong wig, too big, to small, etc........
      With the customized doll, someone has already probably did all that to get to the point the doll is at to sell.
      I have bought customized dolls and do not change a thing about them as I fell for them that way.
      I also have bought a few and changed them a bit.
      If someone makes money and that's what they do, I am OK with that!! :)

19. There are already plenty of other customizers and artists out there doing exactly this - so why would anyone have a problem with it? I would just caution you, as others have already done, that customized dolls are an acquired taste and so you have a more limited market for resale. Also, with the market for second hand dolls really being in the dolldrums at the moment, I would only customize the first doll to your own taste. Then if it doesn't sell, you will be happy to keep it, and won't feel like all your hard work went for nothing. Whatvever happens you will be doing what you love :)

20. This seems the best advice here; customising might even make you not want to sell the doll! ;)