1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'wrong' to buy dolls to customise for resale?

May 22, 2009

1. If I had any artistic skills whatsoever I would absolutely try to profit from them. If I were so talented that I could just pick up a doll and give it a unique and gorgeous faceup any time I felt like it, I would buy heads in stock and set up a little shop here. hehe

2. Nope, that's just called art. And then selling your artwork. :D

3. I think it's not and it doesn't matter which doll you use, too. As a seller you just have to know whether your doll will sell or not or the work is for nothing.

4. I am agree i don´t think is a bad thing to buy a doll, customize it and then resale it....it´s a manner of showing your art work and maybe ther eis someone interested into have one special and unique doll.

5. I've been thinking about this as well. After a few years of experience, I was going to buy a cheaper doll (such as a ResinSoul) and customize it to sell for college money. Of course, this will be a couple years ahead in time and after I purchase my first doll. :sweat But I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as you're not going to rip someone off by sending them a broken doll or something. If you really need the money, then why not?

6. No, many face up artists I know began this part time job as they love being creative and yet could not own many dolls. Limited isn't a problem. You missed a limited dosen't mean that doll is any less someone eles's and as long it is their doll, they can do anything with it.

7. I think it's a wonderful thing. I've seen amazing mod jobs on dolls that I would love to own. What could be wrong with making one and passing on the beauty?

8. I dont feel it is wrong to customize a doll for resale = in the same way that an artist sells his paintings.

9. I wish I had the talent to repaint or create outfits for sale so that I could buy more dolls..

10. I would be unhappy if it was a limited doll that was customized for resale just for the fact that, as time goes by, there are fewer origional molds of the doll. Not everyone wants pierced ears or rare artist make up version of the dolls. You could just sell mod parts if possible. There is a demand for optional parts that can be removed.

11. Absolutely nothing wrong at all. If you have the talent to customise a doll beautifully I personally would have no hesitation buying it for a higher price if I liked it.

12. I must admit, I wondered that too!
      I would like to restore dolls and make them all pretty but I don't want to keep them since I want to keep my collection as small as possible. by doing so, I could add some faceups to my (currently non-existent) portfolio ;) and it's a mighty good time killer :D

many people do that with barbie, monster high dolls, blythes.... I don't think it would me more wrong to do it with a BJD?
      some people do not want to pay extras for faceup and custom fullset (me for instance). so if it annoys those people, move along and go buy one brand new from the company without faceup ;) I know quiet a lot of people enjoy buying dolls with beautifull OOAK customisations :) so it's really nice for those people! they don't have to go through a second wait to send their dolls to a faceup artist ^_^

13. I wouldn't think so. Everyone seems to enjoy this hobby in a different day. Some people like to dress them up and keep them, other people like to customize and sell them... I mean really, if studying economics has taught me anything, it's that every transaction should be beneficial for both parties. So if the customizer gets a profit/enjoyment out of customizing it, and the person who likes it is happy... Who is it hurting, really?

This isn't something I would do myself since I don't have that kind of money or talent, but if people want to do that, all the power to them!

14. I don't see much of an issue with it but for me it kinda takes away some of the fun in customizing it yourself and keeping it. Not everyone shares the same taste you know. :)

15. I honestly don't think it's any different then the My Little Pony mods out there. Yes, I suppose someone could do it for profit but it's just as likely a creative outlet.
      Also, one should consider that there are people out that who while they have an interest in dolls genuinely can't paint, sew, knit, sculpt or anything like that. I found it hard to believe myself but just like there are people how really cannot cook, so are there people with "two left thumbs" so to speak. Yes, someone could make a business out of it but is it not the same as someone whose business is making custom doll eyes? Or doll clothes? Or wigs?
      If someone else has the talent to do such a thing, I say let them. After all, the kid who colored their Barbie doll had to grow up eventually.:lol:

16. I don't fine it very wrong, but only when credit is given for the original base. Claiming compete originality of the whole doll begins to get a bit shady to me.