1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it "wrong" to let younger kids have BJDs?

Oct 26, 2009

1. It depends, if my daughter ask me to buy her a BJD I'll ansewer her that a BJD is an expensive and fragile doll so she have to show me that she really wants it and she has to take cure of it. At least she has to save her money, I think that the value of money is the more important lesson that a child have to learn.
      If she saves enough money i'll pay shipping and custom cost for her, and she will really own a doll (her money = her doll = she understands the value)

2. my granddaughter got her first bjd before she was born. My daughter and I both collect. She got her first doll when she was 1yr (a Sasha doll). I think it is very important for children to realize that they have to respect some things as fragile.

3. My dad's ex girlfriend and her nine year old daughter both loved my dolls to absolute peices. The little girl was slightly scared of Anna at first (mostly because she had her red eyes in) but after an hour she thought she was fabulous. When I eventually let her start playing with them a little and helping me pose them for photos, she was in heaven. She asked for a doll several times, and eventually got one for her tenth birthday. She adores her to pieces, and is so careful with her. When I was doing her body blushing- for example- she watched the entire time incase something happened. And when I restrung her to see what was wrong with her wrist (there was a hook stuck inside the wrist, she needs to get it replaced) she knew it was happening and she would be fine, but still started crying when she walked in on her doll in pieces.

I think it really depends on the child. I wouldn't let my dolls near my soon to be nine year old cousin, but would happily let her nearly eleven year old sister look after them.

4. It definitely depends on the child. Any one of my siblings, I would trust with a doll of their own, and my own dolls (once I start getting them) - Even my 8 year old sister is very responsible with her belongings.
      My cousins, however? I would never so much as leave a doll in the same room as them, even the 15-year-old. Even if there were other people present, I wouldn't want to be away from my doll if they were there.

The issues I would have with younger people having dolls, my brothers or sisters or my own future children, are a little different. I'd be more apt to worry about how they'd respond to the dolls being anatomically correct, how they'd handle people talking about their dolls if we ever took them out places, things like that.
      I would probably let my children have BJDs at a young age, but I would not let them attend meet-ups or even come to places like DoA until they were much older... because I DO see things like gore mods, sexual content in photoshoots, and other such things that I wouldn't want my little ones to be exposed to until they were at least in their teens. To me, that's a much bigger issue than the age they start collecting at.

5. I know all kids are different but I think it would be better to wait until the kids get in their tweens. Kids being kids you'd have to worry over the safety of the doll. I know that when I was younger I'd take my favorite toys in the bath with me, to school and I drew on a lot of them with marker. So its a real risk of getting them damaged and lost. It wouldn't really be worth the money you spend on it.

6. It just depends on the kid. I mean if it's your own kid then you already know how responsable they are (or aren't). If they take care of their things then I'd say yes. If they can't keep their toys off the floor or break their things alot, I'd say no, not til they were older or more responsable.

7. This can't be generalized because you can't fit all kids in one basket. It all depends on the child. Are they responsible? Will they care for it? Will they love it?

Personally... I have a little sister. She's 14, but she's not the responsible sort. She is, however, super smart. If she ever once asked for a doll, I'd probably jump on it. Even though she isn't the most responsible... I feel like a hobby would change that. She does bad things because she's bored. There's nothing to keep her intelligent mind busy. So she does the only things she can and they all happen to be bad choices. If she had a hobby to focus on, to take her time, use her mind, and that would find her real friends with real things in common... I would jump on the chance to give that to her. And besides, we'd have something in common we could talk about. Which means the world to me because I love that little girl with all my heart, no matter what she does.

It would be good for her. So, despite her irresponsible activity, I would still trust her enough to get one for her. And that's really what it boils down to, I expect. How well you know and trust the child in question. Because I know plenty of children who I would Never Ever EVER even let HOLD my doll. And they especially would NOT get one of their own.

8. DEFINATELY depends on the kid
      like.. my niece.. if she had one.. i would only have to tell her once how delicate and valuable they are, and to not touch the faceups and whatnot, and shed take care of it.
      my nefew, almost the same age... would destroy it.
      im not being sexist. i know destructive girls to. lol

9. ive seen pretty young kids about `12 or so with some at a doll meet. and she had a msd size one. it looked in great shape. just as good as the adults dolls. exetp this one obsesive guy whos dolls looked totally untouched

10. My son is getting a tiny doll for Xmas.... he is 5 *waits for stoning to commence*

He has been "looking after" my LTF hybrid for some weeks now, and has taken fantastic care of him.... but then again he isn't your average rowdy 5yr old, he is responsible in so many other areas.... and I think it is a brilliant hobby to help him into :)

He already has a small digital camera, and can't wait to copy Mummy and take pictures of his doll..... he has even crafted him a small bed from a storage box. He has planned everything about this doll himself, from sculpt (bbb tiny-he liked the green resin ;)), the wig, the eyes and the name.... he is really looking forward to his very own doll coming home on Xmas day :aheartbea

I know the thought of someone so young owning a doll may make some people really nervous, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't think my boy was capable ;) :)

I agree with those that say it depends on the PERSON.... I know adult dolly owners that treat dolls badly, and childrens personalities vary just as much :)

11. Quite honestly, I think it depends on the individual person more than age. I myself am fifteen, and was thirteen when I first really thought about getting a BJD--I just ordered my first yesterday.

Like some others have pointed out, I would trust a few six or seven year old kids with pretty much anything that I own, because those particular kids are incredibly responsible and careful with everything. Alternatively, I can't see myself trusting my forty-eight year old stepmother with my durable, albeit expensive, Canon Rebel, so I certainly can't see myself trusting her with a doll. It's not that I don't think she's a trustworthy person--quite the contrary, my stepmother is a wonderful person and I'd trust her with most anything nonmaterial--but she's just not careful with things and I can just see her "Oh, what's this do? -CRASH-". The same goes for... well, pretty much most of my family. They just don't really take the care needed to ensure the safety of valuable things sometimes, so I'm anxious about letting them handle them.

I can understand, however, why some people would be really nervous about the thought of someone handling a BJD at a young age. More often than not the youth of society does not understand not only the monetary and sentimental value of objects, but how to properly take care of them, and a few times I've been guilty of that myself. (My old digital camera has so many scratches and dings from being kept with me 24/7 that I'm really pleasantly surprised it's still around as a functional backup camera!) But that's more a matter of "can this thing survive without impaired function if it is treated in this way?" than "well, whatever", at least to me. Dolls cannot, at least without marring. Therefore, I would never treat one as I did my digital. xD;;

12. .x.; I'd have trouble giving a kid who hasn't taken anatomy lessons BJDs, since they're... detailed and all. >x>;;;(D: or mebee I was just too innocent as kid? XD; I didn't properly know what a peen was till I was in grade 5-6... >x>;;;; )

but other then that, if they're mature enough, I don't see why not. .x.;

13. Its not "wrong" it really depends on a child.
      BJDs (mostly) are not toys, they are artwork. You cant play with them like with Barbie or plushies.
      Most of the kids cant understand it, and will just easily break it and throw away.
      By word kid or chold I ment age up to 16, I guess.
      Sure, there are children who act mature and can treasure their posessions, which is very rare, thou.
      If I had a child I will try to avoid letting him to have such dolls at an early age. And for sure I wont let any other chold touch them.
      Also all this doent mean there are no kind who canbe trusted :)

14. It depands. But most kids can not do proper to BJDs.
      They only think they are toys.
      Moreover, 1/3 dolls are a little heavier to younger kids.

15. It depends on a) the child and b) the person buying the doll for the child. My sister, 12, and my self, 16, both have loved dolls since we were young. Granted, we have both only learned of BJD's in the past year or two, but at the time when we discovered them she was 10 and I was 14, both of which fit into your age range. My sister owns more porcelain dolls that I do socks and I have a collection of historic dolls (as in dolls played with by children 100's of years ago) that we love and take care of. I know own a BJD, and he lives in a room I have made him with my sisters help ontop of my dresser. No one taught us how to play with dolls, we just knew not to throw them about. Yes, I used to mudilate barbies and change them into "geisha barabie" and "mumifide barabie" but even then, once I had changed them I took very good care of them. The only people I find who really buy or own bjd's (with exeptions of course) are adults and teens and children who love dolls. It is not wrong to let a "child" (though, the age range you gave is more "early teen") own a bjd. I have let a three year old hold my MSD and she cradled him like he was a living being and then her and her sisters made him a necklace. As long as you know the "child" will take care of it, what harm is it going to do? To me, something like BJD's that have no practical use are there to make people smile, and people includes children.

16. BJDs are expensive, and I feel like the child should understand their value and worth... and it would be very difficult for a younger child to be able to save up the money for one, simply because most do not have access to money in the same way an older one does. If a kid did manage to save that much, however, I'd be fine with him or her buying one. It is their money, after all, and I was taught that if you earned the money you also earned the right to buy most things with it.

17. Well I am 13... and When I ever see a doll, I all ways ask to hold him or her. I dont know every think on these dolls but I know alot to know how to handel them. I have two dolls. And I am going to get more.

My cusen is 10 and she does have a doll YET. But she is just like me when it comes to holding them.

18. as long as you let them know their delicate.. like.. i baught my niece an obitsu.. shes not exactly rough with it but she plays with it like a barbie..
      but whenever she plays with my SD doll ,shes SUPER careful

19. Well I got Aiden, my Luts Kid Delf Ani, as a gift for my 16th birthday. I had been talking to my mother about it for over a year. I'd done research, and looked at hundreds of dolls until I found the one for me. Ever since he arrived I've taken him almost everywhere with me. He's like a son to me!

However, my opinion on this debate is this: It is all about the person. It really depends on their character, their attitude, commitment, and responsibility. It has nothing to do with age. An adult could buy a Doll and never play with it; just leave it on a shelf somewhere for ages.

20. I am 15 and I was when I got my first doll. I feel I do talk care of them. I even cleared a massive space for my boy on his own little shelf(which at time was big for him) but not he has my girl there to. (note to self: find places to put doll boxes XD)

When I first got my boy(first doll) I was very protective but I feel I have slightly mellowed out.

My 8 year old sister wanted to have a sleep over with my boy(i.e. put him in a cot next to her bed). This was at the time that i was very protective but I let her as long as she didn't take him out of it. I feel I can trust my 8 year old sister with my two now as she is very careful with them and has earned my trust.

However saying this my brother who is only a year younger than me I am stillwary of him holding them more so than my 8 year old sister as he hasn't handled them much.

I would never trust them with msot young kids and neither with some of my friends my age and older as I feel they are not careful enough.

I don't think it is a matter of age but a matter of maturity and caring for the expensive item. Also a matter of mind because just ebcause tey are young doesn't mean they won't treat the doll well. I'd wager some adults wouldnt treat them very well butagain it's down to there state of mind and how responsible someone is.