1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is their overlap between your doll hobby and largest timesink (job, whatever)?

Mar 18, 2017

?
  1. Yes, I make BJDs/BJD stuff/art on or concerning BJDs

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes, my degree is related to what I do in the doll hobby

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Nope, not even remotely

49 vote(s)
    75.4%
  4. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
    1. 1a. Is their overlap between your doll hobby and whatever endeavor occupies the most of your time?
      No, not at all haha. I'm a baker and a Tarot reader. There really isn't any overlap with those two things and dolls. None of my hobbies really have any overlap with my major time sinks!

2a. What about any continued education? Does your college major/post graduate degree/vocational school degree/apprenticeship/certification/whatever relate in any way to your doll hobby?
      My apprenticeship at the bakery I work in really has no overlap that I can think of. Neither have my studies into Tarot or metaphysical. I should ask about getting trained on cake decoration so I can learn how to use an airbrush. So far that's the only thing they haven't shown me.

3a. Do you think having a background/education/experience/unrelated endeavor makes it harder for others to understand why you like dolls?

I think it's about the same. Artists and creatives might get it but anyone outside of that, a majority of people, probably wouldn't regardless of background.

4a. If your work or education background is very different than your doll hobby pursuits, can you stretch yourself to think what perspective dolls or doll collecting has provided you, and vice versa (work perspective on dolls)?

Working in a kitchen has really drilled cleanliness of my station and tools deep into my bones. It's definitely taught me to clean as I go. It's also taught me not to be sloppy with my measurements or work, be careful, take pride in what I do. Strive to make it good, not fast. I admit that even in my artistic hobbies I've always been a little too impatient and wouldn't take my time and it would show. Tarot and the things that surround that have also taught me the merit of patience and deliberance in what I do. No more rushing big (or small) projects! I'm not sure what dolls have brought to the table but they certainly help to reinforce these themes as I practice them in my other hobbies.

2. 1a. Is there overlap between your doll hobby and whatever endeavor occupies the most of your time?

I work seasonal jobs out in the field measuring and restoring this or that. So, uh, no.

2a. What about any continued education? Does your college major/post graduate degree/vocational school degree/apprenticeship/certification/whatever relate in any way to your doll hobby?

My degrees are in environmental science and history. So no again.

3a. Do you think having a background/education/experience/unrelated endeavor makes it harder for others to understand why you like dolls?

I don't tell people outside the hobby much, but I don't think they'd be surprised. My other hobbies are writing, reading, D&D, basically things that involve getting lost in your own little world.

4a. If your work or education background is very different than your doll hobby pursuits, can you stretch yourself to think what perspective dolls or doll collecting has provided you, and vice versa (work perspective on dolls)?

They really don't mix much. Dolls have taught me the importance of some sort of budget, though, which helps when having to dealing with constant lapses in employment.

3. 1a. Is there overlap between your doll hobby and whatever endeavor occupies the most of your time?

Yes and no. My day job as a receiver at a large Coop grocery store has little to do with my doll hobby. My side job as an ebay reseller and appraiser mostly in antique and collectable dolls is more connected. I have sold BJD on commission before.

Yes, most definitely. I was an art history major and went on to get a Masters in Costume and Textiles. So, I've done 2 theses on costume. I taught myself to sew back in HS to dress my dolls (this is pre-BJD pre-internet) I couldn't afford nice collectable or antique dolls so all I had were fixer-uppers. I eventually decided this was the type of collecting I like more so than the MIB collecting dust on a shelf type, so when BJD came along with their customize-able aspect I was instantly hooked.

Yeah, not sure the co-workers at my day job always get it. I have trained them to save bubble wrap and boxes for my ebay endeavor, though.

My retail background does assist me with the ebay selling part of my doll hobby, aside from the free shipping materials. I understand customer service. I also have a lot of experience troubleshooting shipping issues. I've also run into people at various jobs that are completely creeped out by them. That's definitely a different perspective than my own.

4. 1a. Is there overlap between your doll hobby and whatever endeavor occupies the most of your time?
      Oh goodness gracious no! I work in a planetarium. My job is basically to COMPLETELY OBSESS about all things space related. Dolls are a nice break.
      1c. Who thinks they'd win the most unrelated occupying endeavor?
      It's probably possible to get less connected, but for the last three weeks I've been researching the planet Pluto in exhaustive detail. Making coloring pages, hand labelling maps, explaining ice volcanoes to kids, etcetera.​

Nope. Not even a little bit.​

2b. Who thinks they'd win most unrelated educational background?
      I was a math major, who dabbled in astronomy, physics, aerospace engineering, and focused on math education. Your call.​

Nah. I spent six months working in a doll store before my current job. People can write off my eccentric interests as they will.
      My previous job, working in a doll store, helped bridge the gap between the doll hobby and my current job... kind of? It taught me how to talk to children, which is useful in my current job, and how to do some fancy hair braiding stuff, which has been useful with my ball jointed dolls.​