1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a friend/family that helped out with money so you could get a doll?

Oct 25, 2012

1. Hey all ! Well, I ran into this Minimee head on eBay and I fell in love with the sculpt :aheartbea ! Sadly I was short on money and I went to ask my mother to lend me a couple of bucks, she straight out refused when she found out why I wanted it and basically told me I was just wasting money. But because I was so determine I went to bother my brother instead, but he too told me how I was just wasting my money and went on on how he was disappointed in me. I then decided to give up on the Minimee, maybe it just wasn't meant to be. But to my surprise however he presented me with the exact cash that I needed because he wanted to help me despite his negative views on my new hobby :o:aheartbea

His action really meant a lot to me, so I'm wondering...Has anyone helped you get your doll/head ?
      Were they against the hobby but proceeded on helping you because they just wanted you to be happy?

(sorry for grammar </3 !)

2. When I first started saving up for my doll my parents also thought it was a waste of money but later on since my parents are quite much into crafts and such things they thought it would be a good way for me to learn how to make things for a hobby such as faceups and outfits so they helped me with my first doll. They still think its too much money tho xD

3. Nope and probably never. I'm nearly 30, now, but my parents quit buying me toys around the time I started getting an allowance (outside of birthdays or Christmas) and they would have never bought me such an expensive toy - expensive and practical, yes. Toy no.

I would never ask/borrow money for doll things. If I can't pay for it out of my own pocket, then I don't need it that badly.

If I was given money as a gift? It would be a bit of a toss-up, and depend on what else I had going on.

4. Nope...my mom paid for my first doll but I paid her back when I found a job. My family accept my hobby but they think and I'll put it as my brother said, that BJDs are an "overpriced, good for nothing hobby" :| so I don't see them giving me a BJD anytime soon. But my mom always gives a huge amount of money on Christmas and I could buy a doll with that^^

5. Okay, I think there was a misunderstanding :sweatI meant they "lent" you the money, meaning ofcourse you have to pay them back. I work hard for what I want and always pay back what I owe.

6. Not in that order, but sort of-- Shortly after I ordered Pete and Billy, I had a money emergency, and so my mom did give me a loan, and so I kept them in her closet while I paid it off. I'd already set up the layaway payments for them when I suddenly needed the money for something else. Well, sometimes life happens... but I was really grateful to her for jumping in and helping me out.

7. yes and no.

The closest I've come to that was asking my husband for an "advance" in my allowance to get a doll. I get a weekly spending allowance, the rest of my check goes into his bank account. So basically, I just took $200 at once instead of $50/week, then had no money for a month. But it's a little different, since my "allowance" technically comes out of my check.

I cannot imagine what would happen if I asked my parents for money for a doll, even if I intended to pay them back. My mom would not even lend me money to pay bills when I lost my job, she even told me then "You should have saved up for emergencies, not blown it all on junk". I was raised with the rule that if you don't have the money to instantly pay for something, you don't get it. My grandpa even took this so far as to believe you shouldn't use credit cards and you don't need a car until you save enough to pay in full in cash the day you drive off the lot....I won't go to THAT extreme, but you can see why I could never ask family to lend me money for something as "frivolous" as a doll.

8. Hmm, kind of. My mum paid for half my first doll, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get him when I did and she wanted me to have something to look forward to as I'd just been hit by a car and was recuperating in bed. So it was a sort of consolatory present. But that's it, she's never paid for anything else doll-related. I've bought it all myself, which is a really good feeling as I feel I really deserve them, having worked hard and saved carefully for them. And while I'd rather have not gotten into a car accident and had my doll a bit later, I'm very grateful that I was able to anticipate and plan my doll when I might otherwise have been really bored, distraught and in pain.

ETA: Cloaked Schemer, while I have no desire to pry into your private life... surely if it's YOUR money, you shouldn't have to ask your husband for an allowance? You could at least have a joint bank account, to allow a bit more autonomy? I mean, if it's the way you want it then fine, but it sounds a bit 1950s! :sweat

9. I've borrowed money from my best friend to help pay for a doll. She's done the same with me. I don't think I'd EVER ask anyone else on the planet for money though, even though I'd intend to pay it back. Especially my parents. My mom couldn't afford it and my dad would laugh at me. A lot. And maybe yell. Even though I'm old and on my own for years now, I'm still his daughter...

10. haha, no offense taken at all, and I probably should have clarified. He has control over most everything in the relationship, but I want it that way. It might be kind of 1950s, but it works for us. And honestly, he's far better with money than me, so this prevents me from spending bill money on dolls or other fun stuff accidentally because I'm terrible at keeping track of things. But yes, it IS technically my money, so I don't feel too bad asking to borrow from it for dolls, so long as I pay it back. :) And that's the only reason I'm comfortable asking in this situation.

11. No. I got a doll as a present from my boyfriend but that doesn't count since I didn't pay it back of course. He would lend me money to buy dolls but I don't want that. I own enough money to buy me dolls on my own and I definitely buy enough dolls already. 11 dolls in one year definitely is enough so I wouldn't take his money to buy some fun stuff for me. I also wouldn't ask anyone else even though I know my parents would help me out, too.

12. I have had many family members help me along the way in the doll hobby over the years. :) I had a birthday last month and 6 different family members, some even from extended family, all sent me money to put towards my grail doll head I currently have on layaway. I only told 3 of them that I collect BJDs, the other 3 apparently found out over the phone talking to my mother a month ago. I'm guessing she told them all that is what I most wanted for my birthday (and she was quite right).

I was honestly quite shocked by the whole thing. :sweat Not only was I surprised to open birthday cards and find quite large amounts of money from everyone, but to find mentions of BJDs and little comments of, "I hope this helps you bring your little girl home sooner!" and things to that effect.

Even though 4 of the 6 family members think the dolls are horribly expensive and a waste of money, they were still kind enough to actually care about what would make me happy and that means so much to me. Even now I get teary-eyed thinking about it. :(

Thanks to their generous gifts, I will be able to pay off the layaway quite a bit ahead of schedule. :aheartbea Still a good ways to go though.

13. no's the answer. it would be nice to have finalcial help, but often dolls are too expensive to "help out"....

14. i can say yes to this. i have had help along the way from my Mom. my husband would grudgingly let me spend the money but i had no hobbies and it was my money. my Mom still helps out quite often. she listens to me and my ideas of the dolls i see and takes pity on me once in a while lol! it doesn't help that my love affair with bjd's made her get one eventually. now she has more than me and we enjoy the hobby together:)

15. Never really crossed my mind to ask for help with my hobby from family. It seems like an odd request. They have helped me out with other things but dolls, I could never ask them for money towards that.

If it was a gift and they offered I'd be more comfortable with that.

16. Actually, yes. Three people actually! I am so lucky and grateful for their help, especially since 2 of the three I didn't expect to really care...both being of the '1950's' mindset. (I've had a similar upbringing to CloakedSchemer)

I've been saving up and scrimping to get a second doll for the past year, and was originally just going to piece him together since I couldn't afford a whole doll at once. I also wasn't sure if I wanted to have the same body the head came with.

My girlfriend knew my plans, and helped pick up the difference with the doll head. At first she was the only one I spoke to about the new doll. But then, my gramma came into my room, and asked me about my new doll plans after the head arrived. It's sort of hard to keep dolly things secret, lol. But I don't get mauled for it. (Plus, I do contribute to living expenses before I do anything else)

I told her, humbly, about the plans, and she offered to help pay for a layaway. I actually said no a couple times in the convo, and said I'd like to do it myself and that it was a lot of money. I just didn't feel comfortable. Then she added that it'd be my birthday and Christmas gift money. She also pointed out that I never ask for anything, and everyone else gets to have nice expensive things for their birthday and Christmas, it was about time I'd get something nice. Even if it was 'just a doll.'
      So that argument eventually swayed me.

We then sat down to look at the cost of a doll body from Souldoll, and my girlfriend stepped in again to get me started on the layaway. I paid 2 parts of the layaway, and my mom offered to help with the doll as well. So, I think gramma and mom will pay the last of the layaway.

I did pay my girlfriend back, but she didn't want the money... @__@' So I am fixing up a big Birthday gift box for her. Since she can't refuse baked goods and things I made/bought for her. Bwahaha. (her bday is on the 8th, december.)

The other money is gift money, combined to go for the doll.

Sorry for the long novel-esque reply. @_@'

17. My sister has given me money toward paying for three different dolls, but in all three cases it was a birthday or Christmas gift. If I cannot afford a doll I don't ask people to help me. I just don't buy it.

18. My parents actually paid for 70% of my Volks Shiratori while I was in Japan. My mom told me that they wanted me to have something special so they paid for a good chunk of Shiratori straight from Volks Tenshi no Sato. I was quite thankful and surprised.

19. I have never received help from my family. But though a friend, just earlier, has helped me so much and is actually holding my 4th one as we speak. Last year, when Volks Vicorique de Blois came out, I didn't really have enough money but was trying to save up to get her. Then out of the blue I lost my job and I could not get one at the time, even one from someone I kind of know over Youtube and was selling her for a very decent price.

Months passed and I did find a job, not only that but two :) I gained a friend along the way and he found her on Yahoo Japan Auction for a VERY good price of her being used. He went ahead and bid on the auction for me and said he would pay for the shipping and everything as long as I pay the 81,000 yen for her which is MUCH cheaper than I would have paid if I would have bought her second hand on DOA. I have never been so happy and ever so blessed to have met him. I promised him I would pay back every penny. Still paying him back :) and going to be getting her for Christmas. I am very excited :') I can't wait to get my 2nd resin girl.

20. my mom is always helping me with things. as a matter of fact she is buying me a doll from my wish list for christmas. an Ivan from DOD <3 she is going to give me the money price for the doll and i'll pay for shipping costs :D yesterday while she was cleaning out her jewelry box, she kept running into little stuff she didn't wanted anymore and gave it all to me saying it might be useful for my hobby. i just thought that was so sweet of her. she also enjoyed the small photo section i did to my doll yesterday with my child helping me out. i have to say i am one lucky person!!! <3