1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is using mohair fur okay?

Nov 6, 2009

1. I really dislike mohair wigs. I find them to be too anime looking, shapless, unstylable and difficult to work with at best. All of my wigs now are either custome made saran fibre, Kankelon fibre or plain ole human hair which is stylable with a warm cirling or marcel iron. I also do not like the wigcaps ised ot make the mohair wigs, they have no body and arn't a snug fit onto the head of the BJD. It would amost be better if they were in some way elastic and conformed to the head of the doll better. Luckly I buy dolls in pretty much the same size so they can share wigs and I also try to get a custome wig for each new doll or at least cut and trrestyle exising ones.

So no...not for PETA reasons< I just dislike the mohair wig craze.

2. One thing you can do is ask the seller if they know if the animal was harvested for its pelt. I have asked that question. I was told that it was from an animal that was eaten and the parts were not wasted. (Still, I limit my purchases of hair on a pelt because I often wonder if I'm just told what they want me to hear.) If you buy actual mohair, that is from a goat and is sheared.

This brings up another topic that is somewhat related...I also contacted a seller whom I bought pre-braided hair from. The fine print said that the hair was not machine braided but braided by hand. I contacted the seller to make sure that it was not produced by slave labor, because if it was, I would never buy it again.

3. I'm personally not bothered by mohair wigs, whether they be wefts or pelts. Partly this is because I am not bothered by the use of animal products (animal cruelty I oppose, but simply breeding animals for meat or fur doesn't qualify, in my opinion). I own one mohair wig, and would buy more if I had more characters who suited that particular style of hair.

4. I totally agree. We should use ALL the usable parts of an animal bred or hunted for it's meat. Therefore, less animal (or non-animal) will be needed for things in general (which includes dollie wig)

5. I'm a vegan so I don't think it's ok to use mohair/fur under any circumstances and would never buy my girl anything that has any mohair, fur (fake or not), leather, suede or any other animal product.

however this is just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

6. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      I loved the look of mohair on my doll and had most of my dolls wearing fur/wool wigs.
      Only recently I became concerned myself about HOW the pelts were being obtained. After thinking about it I am really uncomfortable now purchasing or having my doll's wear fur *or any other animal matrerial* So I chose to use fiber wigs instaed..
      I am in the process of selling/trading my fur/wool wigs since I know there are collectors who will find use of them. But no I will not be purchasing any more pelt wigs.

Does it go against what you believe?
      I became Vegan recently after being a Vegitarian for years....along with the Vegan diet I chose the lifestyle which includes never purchasing or wearing anything made from an animal. I also became highly aware of the cruelty and exploitation of animals. Alot of animals suffer for the sake of profit so......
      My main worry about fur wigs is what condition are the animals being kept? Are they in clean living conditions..... Or are they being kept in cramped conditions, dirty environment , etc etc

For me all the speculation and worry just turns me off of fur/wool wigs so as a personal choice I try to choose synthetic wigs.

7. This is how I feel. I've never cared much for mohair wigs so I never even thought about the fact that it is an animal product.

8. This. I follow the belief of we already slaughter chickens/pigs/cows/fish for food as long as everything is used up I don't see it as being cruel.

Also no one please jump down my throat telling me it's wrong. I don't personally buy real mohair or fur wigs (some of the hujoo wigs are listed as being made with goat hair) not because of how they look but simply because I'm really allergic to dander and anything besides my OWN dog (my body adapts) and I have to be really careful. I love fake fur wigs though and synthetic mohair is fine I just don't have any dolls that suit the curly hair style.

Messy, anime looking fake fur? BRING IT ON!

But also I don't condemn anyone who uses real fur products. My mom had a fur coat she had for years until it fell apart and she said she never owned a coat more comfortable then that. I can't use down/fur products because of my allergies. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff (thankfully nothing in food) so I gotta be careful what doll products I buy.

I had snakeskin moccasins for years (still own them actually they've just gotten a lot of wear and tear and I've outgrown them) so no I am not above using animal products. Rattlesnake meat is used for food, it's venom for medicine why not it's skin for shoes?

9. I don't think this discussion has anything to do with dolls,

so much as it is a poll of Who Likes Animal Products and Who Doesn't.

10. I actually I think it relates to it as the mohair wig trend is pretty popular.

Personally I don't use mohair or real fur wigs because one: I already have a dog who sheds like f*cking crazy if I wanted a real fur wig I'd brush him and see what comes off. I don't like fur coats simply because they aren't my style but I am not opposed to people wearing them just don't come near me with them as I'm really badly allergic. If I see a coat that has a down label I don't buy it and buy synthetic. My allergies are really bad to a point where if I have an allergy attack it's like I have the flu.

For weeks.

My BFF has currently five cats (they're downsizing because of HER allergies now) and whenever she comes over she has to shower, wash off as much of it as possible and wear my clothes because if I get sick I get really, really sick.

Like I look like I'm about to keel over sick.

I don't use real fur/mohair wigs because of it. Also because they don't have the same styling opportunities as my synthetic or fake fur wigs do.

11. I use the fur fabric wigs, or the regular wigs. Im not really into fur wigs.

12. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      I love mohair when it's new. I don't care much for it when it gets old, though. One of my antique dolls has a mohair wig, and after sixty years it's turned into a dry, orange mass of knots.

Does it go against what you believe?
      No way. I'd use mohair on Johnny and Alistair in a heartbeat if I had it.

13. I used to have sheep and alpacas for the sole purpose of producing renewable fiber for making my own yarn and selling the rest for a small profit. They were my pets, had names, and a majority of them loved the shearer because he brought treats for them. They were spoiled rotten. Sadly as my work life got insanely busy and I felt I no longer had enough time to spoil them I gifted them to another local fiber enthusiast who spoils them far more than even I did!

Fiber from "meat" animals (sheep, goats, rabbits, etc.) is considered a by-product. Sadly some meat farmers hate the whole process of shearing and THROW THE FIBER AWAY! Thankfully, the shearers usually take it, sell it, and make another profit from their labor and the wool goes to socks, sweaters, you name it. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of unethical practices out there, as there are in all areas of life. That said, by purchasing by-products from animals sent to someones table/that came from a pet you are making sure nothing is wasted. Waste not, want not right?

Long story short, I have no issue using natural fiber wigs if it's the right wig for my doll.

(Sorry if someone already said something close to this, I didn't have it in me to read all 15 pages:sweat)