1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is using mohair fur okay?

Nov 6, 2009

1. when i turned vegan i got rid of the tibetan wool wigs with the skin attached. i simply dont believe in one standard for myself (no animal products) and another for my dolls! each to their own, but i wont buy leather for my dolls either. its just a case of asking who youre buying from, and the easier it is spelt out the better for people who dont/prefer animal products for their dolls.
      the one wig i actually did keep was from anji, because of her standards. but if i was to find a wig of similar colour and style in non animal fibres i would buy one and sell the tibetan one. i keep it around for reference! (typical contradictory honestrabbit post)

2. Weird, I've always found the skins are credited to sheep species, like here: http://www.chichesterinc.com/TibetLambSkinsWhole.htm Who knows, eh? Could be both :P

3. It didn't make me stop making fur wigs for sale. Making fur wigs and promoting them took so much time and with so many places to buy good quality mohair wigs, it was hard making it worth the effort.
      The person spewing the death threats turned out to be a troll and the threats were hollow in the end, but it was an unpleasant experience. Although I do not work with laboratory animals myself, I work for a university where people do and I'm told to take death threats seriously, because the university deals with them now and then. As with extreme animal rights activists, it's not helpful when you alienate your target audience.

That aside, it's nice to read that there are people here who are aware of how animals are treated and are increasing awareness by providing information. There will always be doll owners who don't care what their stuff is made of, but some people would care if they would know.

4. My general rule of thumb is that I don't wear any skins from an animal I'm not prepared to eat -- for instance, I will wear leather, although not much, but I won't wear furs or sheepskin because I don't eat sheep or little furry creatures -- and this extends to my dolls and their clothes.

5. For most people I would say this is an excellent rule of thumb, and it can apply to vegetarians and vegans as well, if you are not prepared to eat ANY animal then no skin what soever...however...

I am from Australia, in Australia we have some serious pest species problems, namely rabbits. In 1859 24 rabbits were released in Australia, they were to be hunting quarry. Within 6 years the rabbit population had grown to 2 million. We have big rabbit problems, so we have to kill them, there is no real choice. Myxamatosis did not work, in fact no disease control programme has. What do we do? we HAVE to hunt, trap and kill the poor things. People say this is cruel, but think of it this way, if we did not they would destroy the native ecosystem, eat until not only the native species but the rabbits themselves were dying of starvation as Australia cannot support them. The country simply is not designed to do so, most of it being desert. Instead of leaving these animals to rot we make use of them. The Australia Akubra hat (think Crocodile Dundee) is made of rabbits, 4-7 rabbits die per hat. We use the fur, the leather, all of it. if we have to kill an animal we will make use of every damn peice. That is the way Aussies are. Same with any animal killed in Australia.

I wear fur

I wear leather

My dolls wear both

I am also a vegetarian who believes in animal rights.

I do not advocate the use of fur of an animal that would not have to be killed if it was not for the fur. I have a mink skin, it was killed by my partner's great grandfather when it was killing his chickens. I have some fox fur, also from a certified pest species control agency. I have lots of rabbit and sheep and goat pelt and leather, and again, it is either byproduct of the meat industry or humanely killed for ecological protection reasons.

I also use and make Tibetan skin wigs for dolls. I have no ethical dilemma doing so as my skin source certifies that the skins are a meat industry byproduct, and not even imported from China, but are a farmer here in the US who services a boutique meat clientele, and tans and dyes their own product.

I think too many people have too extreme a view on animal welfare. Many of the agencies out there (including Peta back in Australia) have expressed the "no killing animals" view, but honestly, I would prefer to humanely cull rabbits than see native and introduced wildlife slowly dying of starvation, or the major socioeconomic repercussions in the agricultural industry that would cripple not only that one country but also major second and third world trading partners who rely on our meat and grain supplies...and even a few first world countries, including the US.

I advocate the humane treatment of all animals, and if that necessarily means humane meat agriculture and humane animal culling then so be it, and then I will make use of the byproducts. (however I would not shed a tear if there was a viable end to meat agriculture, on a humane and ecological level it is a disaster)

Seems such a simple question at first, until you examine how it effects the whole ecological and socioeconomic system when people say that we should not wear animal skin.

6. I don't think I would buy one if I could help it.. There are many good synthetic fibers out there.

I am vegetarian and the reason is for animal cruelty... but I do wear some leather items and at least for shoes, prefer leather to pleather... but I don't wear pelt fur of any kind, never have and never will... Unless you live in a frigid climate, I don't really see a point in wearing real fur besides style or vanity.. its not durable like leather so I don't really know what other reason there could be.

7. You really need mohair if you want a curly wig that can retain its curls well. Leekeworld makes beautiful mohair wigs without skins attached, so it doesn't bother me. I'm a vegetarian, and part of my reason was for animal rights. I find it hard to believe that PETA doesn't have bigger battles to fight than the doll mohair wig industry.

8. That is a police matter, you know. If it was from someone within your state you should have reported it to you local Police Department, if it was across state lines to the FBI and if it was over the Internet to the local police AND the FBI.

A little visit from a man with a badge would have stopped that nonsense in a hurry.

9. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      I don't have a problem with it. Maybe I just don't think about it. Wooden furniture was once a living tree (or trees), although you could argue that it wasn't sentient. Or maybe people and trees are just not on the same wavelength when it comes to communication.

Does it go against what you believe?
      Not sure, I waver on the subject. I am all for animal welfare, but I also don't have a problem with using animal products. What bothers me are people who say they are vegetarians, but then go ahead and admit they do eat chicken or fish, as those are animals too.

Many types of animals that are used for fur to make clothing, such as mink are not used for anything other than their fur and skin.

Animals like goats, cows, rabbits and sheep are also "used" to make leather and fur products, but they also yield meat and other bi-products. As long as the whole animal is used, and is allowed to live a full life not being kept in a small cage, I am okay with using fur and skin. I am not a vegetarian, I do eat meat and I also love animals.

My understanding is that mohair (tibetan "lamb" or actually goat skin) is usually procured from poorer countries where the people are more likely to need and make use of all parts of the animal. I wouldn't be surprised if even fur manufacturers in first world countries sell the leftovers to be used for pet food.

10. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?

Firstly I am vegan and avoid using any animal products (ie. no milk, eggs, honey, fur, wool, silk etc). And I wouldn't use a mohair wig on any of my dolls.

It totally goes against everything that I personally believe in. I don't use animal based products or animal tested products unless there is no possible way to avoid it. My reasons for this are based on my moral and ethical beliefs, particularly in relation to animal rights and also my spiritual/religious beliefs.

I noticed while reading this a lot of "It uses the whole animal" arguments, however my understanding is that in many cases animals used for food and those used for fur are not the same animals. Animals used for fur are typically breed specifically for that purpose and are not used for food, and animals raised for food are generally not used for fur. In some places leather is considered to be a by-product of animals raised for food, but it is not always the case.

11. I used to be fine about using mohair skin wigs on my dolls, as I thought it if the animal was to be killed for it's meat, then it made sense to use the whole animal etc.

But lately, I've felt uncomfortable about the idea of using mohair wigs on the skin...I have no problem with mohair wefts, but it seems wrong to me that an animal died so that my doll could look good. So now I only buy synthetic mohair which makes me happy :daisy

12. I am far from a vegetarian or vegan, I will use mohair wigs, but only if the hair is attached to a fabric base (which is a very hard thing to find, though I heard Leeke makes these?), never have any interest in buying it on the hide. The odd thing about this is that mohair is the only thing that I take this view on, if we were talking about deer or rabbit fur on the hide then I can attest to having a 0% problem...probably because I eat venison and rabbit, but I will not touch lamb meat, mutton or non-wild goat.

Some people actually think it is odd that I hold views such as I do (about the happily going for one type of fur but not touching another), purely because I am an animal lover. I'm fully qualified to be a zoo keeper, an animal conservationalist, a farmer, a veterinary nurse, horse groom, pretty much any role that involves animal work (apart from veterinary surgeon or dog groomer). I hold some rather stong views on animal welfare that would make some wonder (mostly about the treatment of farm animals in this country). Yet I will gladly utilise fur from animals that I would eat (leather, deer, rabbit, bird feathers, wild goat) but not lambs, sheep or farmed goat (not including sheared wool)

13. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      Personally if I was going to, it would be synthetic. I try to avoid purchasing leathers etc just because I personally don't like the idea and you don't have a way of knowing for sure usually, if the animal was used for food etc.
      I wouldn't necessarily hold it against a person but I do not like the idea myself. Pillows or clothing pieces with animal fur/pelt just bother me and I have a hard time touching them. I prefer faux products. The meat arguement may work in some cases but alot of animals are used for one product and not others. I'd also like to go vegetarian oneday, I've learned enough about the human body and the animal product/by-product industries to feel queasy.

That being said, I don't expect others to feel the same or even do the same. I just hope people take the time to know where things come from and atleast be grateful.

14. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      I... don't. I have an absolutely beautiful mohair wig for one of my dolls. It was just perfect for the character, and the only qualm I had about it was that it was expensive. The thought that it was from an animal didn't even cross my mind, let alone worry me.

Not at all. I love meat and silk and nice fur or wool or whatever used for wigs and yarn and such. It's not good if the animal lived badly, but I'm not going to research the exact animal and the farm it came from to determine whether to buy the product. Like I said before, I have no guilt and it usually doesn't even occur to me. I love synthetics too, as long as it's high-quality. In fact, most of the time I won't even bother to find out if it's natural or synthetic as long as I know the quality meets my standards.

But I still do respect people who do not believe in this and can certainly understand why.

15. I have no issue with mohair wigs, wefted or on the skin. Yes, I also eat meat. To be frank, it's not a choice I really feel I need to justify to anyone.

I use fur in some of my sewing, but actively prefer synthetic because I don't exactly like the idea of animals being butchered for the sake of vanity alone. The real fur I have used for things in the past is from secondhand garments from thrift stores, or from scraps my maternal grandmother had that are probably close to 100 years old now. It's not like throwing them away would help anyone or anything at this point, regardless.

I have no qualms about wool yarns, as some have expressed discomfort with. This is in part because a good portion of the yarn I buy is from a woman who raises her own sheep, shears them yearly, and dyes and sells the yarn she spins herself to help pay for their care. (I probably buy about 1/4 of what she makes each year even though it's very costly yarn -- it's not a lot, she doesn't have many sheep. :) )

The one fur garment (a stole) I own that is my own that I will wear myself was a gift from my paternal grandmother for my 16th birthday; it's a generations-long tradition in her family and, to be utterly frank, she means one heck of a lot more to me than the animal the fur came from ever could. Ever. The idea of throwing it back in her face was far more abhorrent to me than all the butchered animal pictures PETA could muster. I've worn it all of twice because doing so still makes me uncomfortable, in part because of the source, and, to be fair, because a poufy thing paired with lots of cleavage looks patently absurd ;) -- it's also something I simply do not have occasion to wear.

I have no issue with people who choose not to buy animal products, whatever their reasons. I label my pieces in my (human) work accordingly so people know what jewelry may contain animal products, which I also use -- coral, pearls, shell, bone, horn, leather alongside the usual metal and stone and glass -- so they can buy only what items suit their conscience and not be confronted with an uncomfortable surprise later.

16. I do feel that animals should be treated humanely whenever possible, but I do not have any problem with using animals to provide food, clothing, and the materials for other things - which includes doll wigs. I do not think it is generally practical to insist on ensuring that all sources of such materials are humane in their treatment of the animals from whence they get their products, but neither will I knowingly purchase from a source that I know treats their animals poorly.

I'm an ovo-lacto pescetarian - which means I eat eggs, milk products, and fish, but do not consume other animal products. I usually say I'm a vegetarian, because it's easier than the long explanation. I have also (not recently - life has been too busy) been known to go hunting and fishing, to provide food for my family (my mother and father eat meat). My choice to not eat most meats is not in any way based on religious beliefs, or on moral/ethical objections to the slaughter of animals - I made this decision for health reasons. I do not feel that my dietary choices are in any way connected to my views on animal treatment and the use of animal products.

17. How do you feel about using a mohair wig on your doll?
      While I'm seriously against animal cruelty and animal abuse and stuff I don't feel very guilty owning mohair wigs I have two. My only qualm with them is they don't stretch and wear thin in some spots but other then that i love the way they hold a curl and the softness of them....

No it doesn't, simply because I'm not a nutjob like some of those crazy PeTA people are no offense to them since most of their stuff is just propaganda. I used to some what support PeTA but ever since that drama with them getting caught killing dogs or something and then saying that sacrificing a dog or two for the cause was when they lost their credibility. I mean I'm against animal abuse and testing and all that jazz but I don't believe that by using one or two mohair wigs its gonna kill anyone I mean the animal is dead and so I don't think it'll care if I make a wig out of its pelt. Besides if that were the case I'd have to stop buying my cat canned food since fish are killed, stop buying him and my ferret toys since they like those mice made of rabbit fur, and so on and so forth cause seriously if that were the case we should stop building houses in places where animals live and quit farming cause it's taking other animals' homes away and yadda yadda... and I'm gonna stop now cause I'm no longer makin sense.

18. The threats were made through the internet, so my sister helped me with informing the internet provider and email host of that person. After that the person stopped and turned out to be full of hot air, but we had her home address and could have taken it a step further by taking it to the police had I at that moment still thought that the threat was a real one. At the time I just didn't feel like feeding the habbit of an attention seeking troll.

All I can say is that nut cases like that don't win the hearts of the public. Use facts to increase awareness, not fear.

19. I think I should make a comment ..:lol:.over the past few years I have been asked a couple of times about my fur
      its my living ..I really do do this full time now :lol:
      I make these wigs ...when I started , I did ask my suppliere ,a few things

SO ...I only use fur from 1 place, 1 exporter ,they are shipped from the border of China and Mongolia ..its pretty remote ...so when they had the earthquakes ..it was pretty difficult to get the fur out

I know were I get mine from ,they are not just killed for the fur ...they use everything ..the lot ..and they have done so for many many years
      and whole area and community in it , make a living on these sheep ...no middle man getting fat ...just the farmers and tanners ..
      so Im Ok with it ,

..its a sheepskin ..and I dont have a problem
      I dont use short hair ..thats the young animals ..
      so I don't use it

and I never use Mink , Fox ,Seal , ..thats fur trade ,and I would have nothing to do with it
      Old fur .. and its hard to get the second hand stuff in the UK as the charity shops arnt allowed to put them out

and I dont think I would use fur from anyone I hadn't checked up on..if all the animal is used ...its not waste
      :aheartbea

so if you do want tibettan/mongolian wig more than anything ...check up if you are bothered ,

Oh yes ...gotta point out Tibettan /Mongolian ...its not actually a goat ..its a sheep its actual breed ..which I will look up..cant find it ..begins with Q ..and on my old laptop

wefted wigs are made from Mohair ..which is goat ..

20. Kitty, I'm totally 100% with you on this. I believe that the animals are sheered harmlessly for the hair/fur and that ultimately such animals are destroyed for purposes of food. Which in my opinion does make it alright. And generally in other countries (by what I've seen on the Discovery channel) the Asian countries do eat cats & dogs also. I'm positive they eat almost anything that can be eaten in those countries which can make you a little skeptical of what exactly you're buying sometimes, but sheep fur/hair has an obvious difference to other animal hair/fur. So, no, I don't think you should feel terrible about your wig. Those animals are used for food at some point, they are not just butchered for their fur like other animals in other parts of the world.