1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is wooden cabinet bad for resin?

Mar 20, 2021

1. Hi, there's a topic about how to store the BJD in my local group, where I read that wood is bad for resin, since they can emit something that make BJDs get mellowed faster. After 3 years wandering around in this hobby, this is my very first time hearing something like that. People are warning about light, about sun ray, but I have never ever see any warning about wooden cabinets. Please let me know if it's true or not?! So far I still think that a wooden cabinet is good since it's totally dark in there :atremblin:atremblin

Thank you for reading!

2. Not as far as I've ever heard - all the shelves and cabinets in my house are wooden and I've had BJD's for over 15 years (and have wooden doll furniture)
      [​IMG]

Teddy

3. I think what type of wood and perhaps even more how it has been treated is the more important question.
      I mean, if a cabinet is painted or varnished with an acrylic based product and properly cured, your dolls would never come into contact with the wood itself. If the cabinet on the other hand was freshly treated with something like linseed oil or oil based paints it would probably be a bad idea to but a naked doll into contact with it.
      Some woods will have a natural high content of things like tannins and oils and those can probably cause the polyurethane to react. Tannins are in their nature very acidic and may force the plastic to oxidize faster and thus yellow at the point on contact.

But realisticly, unless the piece of furniture is very new or newly polished/sanded/treated I doubt the risk is very high.

4. Thank guys! I truly doubt about the answer on our local group thread, she said that the natural humidity in wooden furniture can do harm to resin. But for high quality furniture, I believe wood need to be totally dried beforehand. I may need to take a look for what kind of wood is my cabinet, tannins and oils are the only things that I need to worry now, but since I don't let my dolls touching those wooden furniture directly, I don't think it's any big deal.

#4 Angeville, Mar 20, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    5. You could also put down something before setting your dolls on the shelf—like contact paper or maybe a slip of fabric if you’re too worried.

6. I have some valuable documents that I store in archival boxes, because regular cardboard emits gasses that are harmful to them. Since cardboard is made from wood, I looked the subject up and found this article. It is in reference to document storage, which of course is not the same as resin storage - but I think that you raised an excellent question. Is the off-gassing of wood detrimental to resin over time? I have no idea, but this certainly made me think.

Edit: I just came to a belated realization. :sweat Aside from BJDs, I also collect animation cels, which are made from acetate. Like resin, they are a type of plastic...and like resin, they have the unfortunate inherent process of chemical change over time. Archival storage is imperative, because off-gassing is definitely known to speed their deterioration, especially in an enclosed space. I have seen 15 year-old dolls that still look great (heck, I own a couple of 12+ that do), but I have also seen 60+ year-old cels in fantastic condition, and that is a testament to decades of meticulous care. Again, I absolutely cannot speak knowledgably on the subject of resin, but drawing a parallel, for myself I think I will feel safer using glass and metal cases, or at least very well coated wood.

#6 celga, Mar 20, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    7. I mean, there are dryer woods that can be used that you could choose if you are more nervous about that sort of then, but most of the time things used for cabinets/enclosures aren't built out of woods where you'd have to worry about humidity/moisture. If you were truly worried you could always get a humidity sensor (they have them for reptiles and for humidors) just to be on the safe side. As Celga said, there is offgasing that can occur, but I'm not 100% certain the effect it would have on a BJD. I know tons of collectors who use wooden shelves for all sorts of figurines/models who have had them for years without any sort of damage (at least to the naked eye).

8. I’ve kept mine in both a varnished wood secretary desk and a chalk-painted China cabinet and my oldest doll has no signs of yellowing. My second doll has mellowed but I suspect it’s because of her brand’s resin as none of my other dolls have noticeably changed color.

9. Thank you so much for those information, Celga! Yep that gave me a bit of worry, I think I need to dig in and collect more info in that case. To my understanding, wooden furnitures DO bring harm to resin, but for how much is still a question?!:doh

At least my dolls always have their clothes on, so that could help absorb some of that gases maybe.

10. I think we as a community are always willing to consider that something might be harmful to resin (because it’s no fun to think that you might be inadvertently destroying your possessions) but without an explanation as to why this person thinks so, I don’t buy it.

Partly that’s because I’ve never heard this claim before (and I’ve been in the hobby for 13 years) and partly because I’ve always stored dolls on a wooden bookshelf and then in a wooden cabinet and the ones that have been in there for over a decade consistently really haven’t yellowed in any extreme way. (As compared to a friend whose similar dolls yellowed pretty severely because they had them on a shelf facing a window.)

Could there be an interplay there I haven’t noticed? Possibly. But if it’s that negligible I don’t think it’s something to worry about. I’ve heard even air plays a part in initiating the breakdown of pigments in resin, but not to a degree worth trying keep your dolls air tight or, in this case, avoid furniture.

#10 Amet, Mar 21, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    11. Yep.

Teddy

12. I suspect potential humidity would be no worse inside most wooden cabinets than it is outside them, honestly. Even a well-made display cabinet isn't anywhere close to air-tight. Also, lumber tends to be kiln-dried before it's turned into furniture, so there's not a lot of "extra" moisture there to worry about anyway. (That's done to to prevent potential warping and cracking after the pieces are cut and assembled.)

Gassing-off from stains and finishes might be an issue with very new pieces, but if the cabinet is a few years old, I doubt that's still going to be a big problem, either. Most of that process happens early on.

All that aside, for what it's worth my entire crew have been kept in wooden display cabinets with glass doors for many years and seem fine. What yellowing has happened has been mild enough that I'd chalk it up to simple age and the nature of the material they're made of. Even exposure to AIR is enough to cause some color shift in resin, after all.

13. I agree with @Amet

Just to try to put things into perspective, wikipedia has a good summary on what is known today of the conservation of plastics. If you look there at the "Effects of deterioration table" under "polyurethane", which is what BJD resin is, then you see that UV light and moisture are listed as the main causes of yellowing, and nothing else, not oxygen, not even warmth.

Most sources on the conservation of plastics, like the Getty museum, but also other museums and universities with departments dealing with the chemistry of plastic, state that there still is much research to do on the ideal conservation of plastic, and that every sort of plastic is very different in its properties and in what causes damage or is beneficial to its upkeep. What hurts documents etc, is a total different story still, although most sources seem to agree that storage materials emitting acids also can have negative effects on some plastic.

But they are talking about conserving museum pieces for coming generations here, like designer furniture and pieces of art that are mostly several decades old, and such like. Personally I don't see my BJD collection in that context, to be honest, I want to enjoy them now, in my living space, not conserve them. It makes sense to protect them from UV light and dust, but that's as far as I go.