1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll really 'Limited'.

Apr 6, 2010

1. I've actually never considered that my upcoming Afi or tan Chalco hybrid would be limited editions... only as "the ones with limited ordering". Well, ofcourse they are limited editions in a way, since there was only short time to get them, but I somehow still see those in bit different kind of light than some much smaller editions.

From my own dolls, I consider my Elfdoll Reminisce K as rare/hard to find (it's modded look like special LE half closed head which is even more harder to get)

Currently I'm waiting for one head to arrive which really is limited since even in the maximum case, there will be only seven of those headmolds. Though I doubt that the total amount being made is closer to three... It was free-to-choose case from three different molds amongst couple of people so I have no idea (atleast not yet) how many has chosen the mold I'm getting

2. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?
      Of course. Like someone stated before me, there is a difference between limited and rare. They are limited because they are only available for a small period of time, never to be released again. Quite obviously their prices in a year or two reflects this, as we have all seen Sards go for $1200+. Think about it this way, all because they're available for a small period of time doesn't mean a lot of people can buy them in this amount of time. Do you have 800 dollars laying around to whip onto the internet for a doll within the timeframe of a month? Neither do I. Vesuvia is one of my favorite Soom MDs, and I have never once in my time on here seen her on the MP for sale. If she did show up, I'm sure she'd go for some outrageous price. Same goes for Topaz, Bix, and many others. In a year or two, Chrom, Shpaler, Cass, ect, will all go for way more than their purchase price on the MP, if they show up at all.

Or atleast do you think/find that some people place to much weight/value on their doll being Limited when it's not very limited?
      I don't think anyone places too much wait on something, especially if it's something they care about deeply. I care for my Chrom as much as I do for my DZ Chen, but if I had to sell one first the DZ Chen would be the one to go. It's not because the Chrom is limited, it's because I find the sculpt more intreiguing and I put a lot more effort into making him mine.

When do you consider a limited doll to not be 'truely limited', and/or when does calling it 'limited' really lose it's value?
      I think it would get ridiculous if we started calling dolls that were only to be available for more than a month limited. Because at that point the time frame would just keep getting extended and drag out until a year long release was considered 'limited'. There has to be some kind of cut off.

Feel free to discuss a doll that you first have seen that was not very limited and then became a sort of 'true limited' doll. So when does a doll really become limited?
      Well I think it all has to do with time. To some, the newest Soom doll doesn't seem limited. They know at least 100 people are buying it on DoA, and are garunteed to find one on the MP in a matter of months. However, they are not the only ones who think that, and many people start to hound after the doll on the MP. Soon, everyone who wanted to sell it has sold it, and there are no more for sale. In time, the doll becomes more and more rare, because fewer are showing up on the MP. Soon, there are absolutely none available, like in the cases of Sard and Topaz. If one does show up, the price is spiked at a ridiculous amount, and many people try to get it at once. This is proof that the doll has become limited, even though originally it didn't seem as such.

At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?
      I think if someone's going to buy it for that price, then put it up for that price. It really doesn't matter if it's limited or not. I would throw 1200 out the window for Volks Suiseiseki any day. However, if a doll came out looking extremely similar to her for the same price and it wasn't limited, I would still buy her. I care about how the doll looks, not about the name it carries.

Because a doll is 'limited' does that suddenly just make it more valuable or more important then 'standard' dolls?
      More valuable sure. More important? No way. My Chrom is WAY more valuable than my OT doll. My OT doll is worth almost nothing, in fact. But in all honesty, I would gladly get rid of my Chrom before my OT doll. My first doll holds so much more improtance to me than my limited. I could care less about the status it brings me.

Have you met people who think their 'not very limited' dolls are so special, while your 'Standard' is more rare or was hard to get, and what do you do?
      Well, I have run into people who think their doll is more important than another's, limited or not. In any case, I think it's disgusting to think that way. Everyone holds their dolls dear to them and treasures them as equally as you do. It's wrong to weigh the value and importance of dolls between owners. It becomes like a status game to me.

Is there a point when a doll isn't really 'limited' just not for sale any more, and is there a difference? (Such as a discontinued mold, is it suddenly just as valuable as a limited, or not?)
      Anything that is discontinued is immediately going to become more valuable than it was before, and the desire for it increases. That is simply human nature; we want something no one else can have. This makes it more valuable and it is called limited. It's limited for second hand purchase, not limited from the company (before it was discontinued, obviously). If it's hard to find, it's limited. That's the end of it. There is no difference.

3. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?
      Of course I consider soom dolls limited, no matter the amout that were sold, because they were only realeased for a -limited- amount of time, thus, limited edition dolls
      Or atleast do you think/find that some people place to much weight/value on their doll being Limited when it's not very limited?
      Personally I dont mind how other owners view their dolls. If the doll is a limited then they can call it a limited? I dont think I would even notice unless someone was like "I got this super amazing limited doll tahts so awesome because they are so rare and limited!!" Then I might giggle a little bit

When do you consider a limited doll to not be 'truely limited', and/or when does calling it 'limited' really lose it's value?
      The only way i can see 'limited' losing its value is if people called discontinued moulds limited (they are discontinued, not limited, but similar) or if EVERYTHING became limited. Like, if the only dolls soom sold was limited, then every soom doll would be a limited and you would just link that with the company, hence it wouldnt be "ohh ahh soom!" itd be like "yeah, thats a cool doll"

Feel free to discuss a doll that you first have seen that was not very limited and then became a sort of 'true limited' doll. So when does a doll really become limited?
      A doll becomes limited to me as soon as the for sale sign goes off the companies website, after that you are at the mercy of the MP to get said doll.

At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?
      As soon as it goes off sale at the company, buying second hand you can expect to pay more. I wouldnt buy a normal release doll for twice what the company is selling it for simply because I can buy a new one fresh from the mould, but thats not the case with limiteds hence, as soon as they are in someone elses hands that person has the right to charge whatever they feel the doll is worth or the market price.

Because a doll is 'limited' does that suddenly just make it more valuable or more important then 'standard' dolls?
      Those are both opinions to be judged by the owner/buyer of the doll. In case of emergency though I think I would save my limited dolls first simply because they are more costly and harder to find to replace.

Have you met people who think their 'not very limited' dolls are so special, while your 'Standard' is more rare or was hard to get, and what do you do?
      I have never noticed nor cared about this to be honest, if I want the doll I work to get it, if not I just appreciate the pictures and move on :)

Is there a point when a doll isn't really 'limited' just not for sale any more, and is there a difference? (Such as a discontinued mold, is it suddenly just as valuable as a limited, or not?)
      I dont view limiteds and discontinued dolls as the same thing. I do apply the same rules to them, go by market price not sale price, etc, though I expect more damage/wear from discontinued dolls than limiteds. I might find it kind of annoying for a discontinued doll to be called limited, but its not a big deal to me.

4. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?
      Oh definitely. Limited is limited, regardless of how many are made. I mean, there was a limited styled Olleaf doll i wanted, and there were only 10 like it made. Of course its sold out now, but even if there were 200+ made, it would still sell out and not be available anymore.

Or at least do you think/find that some people place to much weight/value on their doll being Limited when it's not very limited?
      its up to them if they want to boast. heck, if its limited, props to them that they could afford it at the time :)

If they say its limited, but then release the sculpt minus a few things a few months or years later, then i wouldn't consider it limited. Say, Soom re-released some of their fantasy dolls without the hoofed feet or wings, that wouldn't really apply to the whole doll, would it?

I would say a doll truly becomes limited when the company discontinues the sculpt.

If the sculpt is no longer in production. And if its in demand, like Soom dolls.

It has more worth, mainly because normal dolls can be bought whenever the consumer wants. Limited dolls have to be bought immediately if you want it that badly.

Well, i had a similar situation with my first doll. The Crobidoll Yeon-ho sculpt had been sold out for years, and finally this March they re-released it as a full doll only. So, technically, for the years it was sold out, it was a practically a limited doll, in the sense that you couldn't buy it off the site.

As i mentioned above about the Crobidoll sculpt, if its not for sale anymore on the site, i would consider it limited. :)

5. I would consider a doll as 'limited' if there was no other way to buy the doll model from the store after a certain time.
      Like, if you want a doll, but by the time you gather money, it won't be available anymore Unless you buy it second handedly.

For example, I don't feel that my limited Irus from Custom House is limited, because his head mold is always for sale at discount events. But there is no reason to feel that he is not especial to me :)

And some times, what is limited is not the doll itself. They sell dolls that they sell regularly, but customize them with limited items, outfits and make-up. Luts and Dollmore do that a lot.

6. I think you're mistaking limited for rare. There are tons of limited edition action figures and other collectibles that are in the thousands, why act like that definition isn't as good for dolls? Like it or not, limited is limited. You can't always make sure you can buy it new or at the same price as it originally was.

7. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?

Limited means they are only letting out a certain amount at one time (or only selling them for a certain amount of time I.E- 1 month), whether it be 10 or 10,000 of that particular sculpt. So yes, even if there are 200+ of that particular mold, then I consider it a limited as they only release it 1 time only and when they're gone they're gone.

I don't think there is such thing as "very" limited or "not very" limited. As another user said, it's not an abstract word. It's either limited or not. To say something "isn't really limited", kinda sounds like a jealousy statement to me IMO. If you are able to obtain a limited doll then you have every right to put as much value on it as you wish cause it's YOUR doll.

If they re-release the sculpt and make the second release "standard" (as in they will continue to make the sculpt over and over), then I would still consider the first release limited. However, if they do a second release and they are identical to the first but now the mold is considered "standard" as they will continue to make and sell them, then I feel all the dolls, even the first release, have lost their limited status. It would be too hard to tell first from second in that respect. However, if they re-release a sculpt and change even a single part (like remove/ad horns, vampire teeth, elf ears, or even open/close the eyes), and this second release is only being released for a certain amount of time or a certain amount of individuals, then BOTH molds can be considered limited.

If the demand and popularity on that limited doll is abundant. If it's a limited sculpt that not many people show the desire to own, or any kind of market for it, then no it shouldn't be priced higher than it's worth. Limited doesn't necessarily mean "expensive", but if it's a limited sculpt that people are willing to pay an extra $100 or $200 just to possess it then it's okay to market it higher than it's purchase price. This is done in every hobby, from antiques to horse saddles to model cars. Why would dolls be different?

Heck no, limited just means that there are less individuals of that particular sculpt or it was only released for a certain amount of time. Some are a bit more expensive to purchase second-hand, but that doesn't make them better or more important than a sculpt you can buy whenever you please. Limited dolls are just dolls that have fewer of them (or sold from date A to date B) and can be a pain to find second-hand.

As I said above, I don't believe there is such a thing as "not very limited". I understand that a company might be producing dolls as standard and after releasing only 500 individuals they suddenly vanish, but to me those dolls would then be considered "rare" or "man, they must not of had the market for those if they went ka-put!". And every owner is going to think their doll(s) is/are more special than another person's doll(s), because they are their own property they worked to obtain.

Is there a point when a doll isn't really 'limited' just not for sale any more, and is there a difference?

If a doll mold is discontinued but that sculpt didn't have a pre-determinted release number (as in only 200 individuals), then I would consider that rare if they aren't found in bunches second-hand. So yeah, that's a big difference. Limited again means only a certain amount of them are being released into the world at one time. A mold that is "standard" (in the means that they didn't pre-determine a certain amount released or set a time limit) and then decided to stop production on that mold due to loss of interest, then no it's not limited and shouldn't be considered as such.

Is it simply 'numbers' that determine if a doll is truely limited? Or is it just because a company says it's 'limited' that makes a doll limited?

Limited can either be by numbers (as in a company only releasing 100 individuals at one time) or by a determined time length of sale where customers can purchase the dolls until the ending date. So if I run a company where I let buyers purchase a certain mold from the 1st of the month until the last day of the month, then I would consider those limited even though the total sculpts released in that period could be anywhere from 1 to 10,000. If a company releases a sculpt and continues to make and sell that sculpt over and over year in and year out without end in sight, then no I wouldn't consider that limited.

I don't think a lot of people understand the true definition of limited, which is 1) confined within bounds; restricted. 2) circumscribed or narrow in scope or extent. 3) brief; very short a limited time (taken from yourdictionary.com).

So we can pretty much assume that so long as the company releasing a limited makes it a) only a certain amount of individual sculpts released at one time, or b) a sculpt is only available from date A to date B; then yes we are safe to say they are considered true limited. Now on the issue of re-releases like Breakaways, then you can still consider them limited as they are in release stages. You just would classify them by the number of which they are released, as in release 1, release 2 and so forth. (I don't know much about Breakaways, but don't they have a couple changes or mods on each re-release? I could be wrong though, I don't own one or plan to. ;3)

8. Limited is to me a very funny concept. The doll community is relativly small and I doubt that there has ever been a sale of one million of one specific mold. However: if a company said that they were only going to be making 1 million of doll x, doll x would in fact be limited. Does the fact that doll x is limited mean anything in that case? In my opinion no. If a time frame or number of pieces ever made is predetermined, wether that timespann be a month, a year or a millenia, the doll is limited. The only thing we can really discuss is wether or not certain limits, being too big, would or should equal that the limitidness of a certain doll doesn't factor in to the price of said doll.

9. I paid 1400.00 for a fullset Chrom last month. I have to agree that Soom dolls are indeed limited. Even though the total number ordered is unknown, it's still only available for a very short period of time.

If you're referring to Soom, the limited quantity dolls tend to sell for higher than the original price in the marketplace. People are paying for it. This reinforces the value of the doll.

If it falls within a certain number sold or short ordering time frame, it's limited. Some dolls will be harder to come across than others. There's a hierarchy in that sense. The term limited doesn't lose it's meaning.

A second hand doll that's still available is actually worth less on the market because you can get a new one at original sale price. One that is no longer being made is harder to come across. Obviously, a limited can and should be sold for more than it was originally worth.

It depends on the demand, but in general I think they're more valuable in a monetary sense. More important, well definitely not. I think doll owners that try to make others feel like their dolls are less special are jerks.

What do you mean by not 'not very limited'? That would imply it's standard, yes?

Is it simply 'numbers' that determine if a doll is truely limited? Or is it just because a company says it's 'limited' that makes a doll limited?
      It's limited if the company says so. I think the only exception is a re-release of an exact mold that has nothing to differentiate it from the first run.

10. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?
      Yes, they can. You cannot buy the doll from the company anymore. There are no new dolls being cast and appearing on the market (unless they are bootlegs, but let's not talk about that here). With years, less and less dolls are being re-sold, showcased and traded, as they settle in different collections.

If you can't get it anymore, then it's limited, no matter how many dolls there are. End of story :sweat
      A different issue is scalping that has been discussed somewhere on the board, when people buy a limited doll just to resell it later for a much higher price.

A "limited" doll would lose its value the very moment the manufacturer decides to recast them in any amount, be it one, two, or two hundred. The bonus of a limited edition is that you can only buy them during a limited period of time since there were just that many dolls planned.

(I've seen people try and ask for more for a doll that is 'limited' just because it is, despite the available at the time). At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?
      It depends on the person, really. It's their doll and their money, if they believe a doll that originally cost them $300-400 could sell for $500-700, even if it's still available from the company (but, say, the time to cast the doll is 2-3 months, the buyer is situated in EU with our tax system and there is no way to get the doll past customs), then why not? The main question is: will the doll _really_ sell for that amount of money?

If I were to _really_ collect dolls as I would collect works of art - then I would be collecting OOAK only. But since I just buy dolls because I like them - no, it doesn't make the doll more or less valuable to me. It's more a matter of "do I like the sculpt or not?" I have three dolls at home and two incoming, and I don't think I'll love one or the other more.
      True, three of them are rather rare (soom MD, a Minisup that's produced in extremely small quantities during short periods, and a Zuzu Delf with a total of 30 dolls cast), but then I also have an AoD and a Pukifee - possibly one of the most widely spread molds / companies on the board. And frankly, although this is somewhat of a snobberish hobby, it's still by far more about how well you present your doll than how many of her kind can be found on the DoA marketplace.

I haven't and I don't think this should be an issue of any kind - because I love my dolls for what they are to me, my characters, and not because I had a hard time finding them )))

You can't get it anymore. You can hardly find photo-shoots with it. But the mold is well-known thanks to a customizer or the company's photos, and many would love to have it. And then it pops up in the marketplace. It's rare, it's popular - expect a heavy price tag somewhere along the way ))

We don't always know how many limited dolls there are. Some companies do put LE5, LE10, LE100, others keep it a strict secret. The idea is that a doll actually goes out of stock at some point and never comes back (: So I guess it's the company saying that they have a limited amount of dolls available rather than the buyer deciding if the doll is actually limited or not.

Also a side note, as many have mentioned before. I also make a difference between limited and rare dolls. Rare are those that you hardly see (e.g. Luts Woori - their very first doll, an extremely, almost non-existent database), and not necessarily limiteds. A doll belonging to LE has to go out of stock at some point. If there were 200 of them or just 2, does not really matter.

11. To me, a truly limited doll would be from a line that was made for only a certain amount or time period and not sold again afterward. They may or may not be very rare or even sell out very quickly, it's just not sold out all the time as a basic. To me it's the doll itself that'd be limited, not the clothing or faceup that would be made for a basic doll. That would simply be limited clothing etc. cause you take the clothes off those kinds of dolls and you'd get the same basic doll you can buy all the time with maybe just a special faceup. Unless the whole set is being sold, the doll itself isn't going to have much true value raising over time. My girl Ariana from dollmore has the glamor bust and I had bought the lisa rubik head with custom faceup before they release a lisa rubik version. For all intent purposes I could say she's "limited" or even "OOAK", but neither would be entirely accurate.
      But should we break this down further, alot of "limited dolls" have the same body type, so would the body itself be limited? I don't really think so, not if it's in a common skintone anyways, if it's a different fantasy colored resin that's another thing. In those cases, it's usually the head sculpt that's limited. So I guess if I were to put it in a manner that would make most sense. If you can "strip/take apart" the doll to the parts that make it truly limited, you're not left with much parts and it's those parts that make it worth more.
      For dolls that are re-released every so often, this is a bit hazy. They could be called limited, because of time frame orders, but it's more like basic just being sold at different times.

12. Yeah, nthing the "limited or discontinued doesn't equal sought after" sentiment. There have been dolls where 100 or less are available yet they linger on their sales page for months or years because no one is buying them. I don't have a problem with sought after dolls being sold at a higher price. If someone is willing to pay $1500 for a seller's Chrom, why should that seller give it to someone else for $800? Buyers decide the prices of dolls. If a price is unreasonable or above average, that doll will most likely not sell. My Kohya is limited, rare, and completely not sought after. There are many limiteds like that which if the owner tried to sell them, they'd have to sell them at a loss.

I also don't think 200 of one doll mold is a lot. If there were 200 Heliots ever made, some were no doubt bought by foreign buyers or people who don't do online doll communities and will never turn up on DoA. Some are owned by people who don't post pictures of their dolls, and the rest are spread out among the thousands of members here.

13. I have to agree with a lot of the earlier comments.

Limited does not mean Rare and neither have much impact on value sadly.

I think there are SO MANY Limiteds not as in 500 of one limited sculpt but as in every company has so many different limited sculpts that the word Limited gets used a lot and that can sometimes make a limited more common place.

I own a limited which would by an earlier posts classification be called very or extremely limited because there were only 50 made. But most people would be pretty unimpressed with my Dollzone Limited. I don't mind either way I love her and that is all that matters to me.

I can understand the hype of some limiteds even the limiteds that are not rare

but when I saw that distinction it was like.....an AH HA! moment for me!

14. Well, I prefer to have limit dolls, and it's hard to say why QAQ~~
      I bought a "50 limit" head last X'mas, but it haven't sold out till now (a little bit sad,or disappoint?)Some friends who have a same head said maybe the number is not the extact release number.
      The REAL LIMITED I think is that few are sold over the world--at lease in some area.So I'm consider to own a doll that not much people have.(Am I wrong?)

15. I think "limited" means "there's only a certain number of these made." I have one limited edition action figure. It was something like 1789 out of 2000. Most limited items come with a number 8/10, 459/500. Once the limit is up there are no more made and if you want one you have to find someone who wants to sell theirs. As time goes by and things get destroyed they become rare. Or there was only ever a very few to begin with.

I don't hold much worth with limiteds unless I really really want one and have to have it. You miss out and you beat yourself up about it. "I SHOULD have bought that les Reves d'un Garcon!"

The only truely limited I have in my collection are my Minimee heads and my DZ Leo. MnMs are ten per year or casting or something? Leo was a promotional gift.

16. I am a newb in bjd and i just started last December 2009. And now i already own 5 gorgeous dolls. One of them is a Boy and Girl Nailo elf Limited Edition? for me i didnt care if it is limited or not as long as i loved them.

17. I generally gauge "limited" by whether or not the doll will be available the next time I go to the company's website. Soom might make more Monthly Dolls than, say, a Volks Limited, but the fact remains that, for the most part, next month, you can't buy that doll from the website anymore. For that reason alone, I generally consider Soom's Monthly Dolls to be limited. If I can buy the doll at any point from the website, or with good timing and luck, buy it from the website at all, I won't consider it Limited. This also applies to Soom's Mecha Angels, as well, but it's a shady area.

18. mmm...i went to a website...they said, they would re-release their previous limited doll...
      It's kind of confusing...i wonder if that doll now can be said "limited" anymore...
      so yeah...what is Limited?...
      May be only certain period of sales? (Not offering in 'every day' sales?...)
      May be it is related to 'numbers'...only 50 in a whole world...
      May be as long as it's not re-release anymore (even after 200 sales), then, it becomes "limited" immediately?

19. If the re-release of the limited edition is ALSO limited, then the item is still limited.

20. for me, "limited" is pretty self-explanatory: Limited Availability. Whether that means limited numbers or a limited ordering period, it doesn't really matter to someone who really wants one but finds out about it/can't get one until after the cutoff, right? The ultimate effect is the same: a limited number of people are able to buy (& subsequently, own) the doll.

as for how many dolls = 'limited', like I explained above, I don't believe there's really one set of rules for this. I've seen collectible manufacturers use terms like "special edition", "limited edition", "collector edition", "silver label", etc to indicate different levels of 'rarity'. Usually this kind of thing happens when one manufacturer is producing several lines of collectible goods w/varying production numbers.

Does it matter to me if someone else thinks their doll is 'Limited' & I don't? Not really. The only time I care what someone thinks about their doll & how that affects it's value is if I'm trying to buy it, but in that case I'd probably have a good idea of the doll's availability on the secondary market before they even said a thing about what it is or where it came from.

So sure, I'll humor you & pretend that I believe your doll is super extra gold limited deluxe whatever yada yada, but if I'm looking to buy her, then I'm not paying more than a fair market price for her.