1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll really 'Limited'.

Apr 6, 2010

1. I still consider dolls that are sold for a 'limited' time as limited. The same with the EID 'limited editions' they are on sale every few months but they still have a order period that you'd have to wait for. Same with the Soom monthlies. If a doll is only made once at a certain time even if there are 500 I still concider them limited. The EID's are sold at a few points during the year but Iple class them as 'Limited edition' so to me they still are too, even if they aren't as rare as dolls that go out of production.

2. I agree completely with Zagzagael's post!

Actually, probably the most limited dolls around would be Minime's since they are limited to a mere 10 heads per character before a mold is destroyed. But I realize Minime's are not what you are addressing here.

Even with Bermann's if you think about it, they are not all that limited. However, they are hard to come by as people who have them very rarely part with them, which is why the market value on them is so high.

I don't covet LE's for their LE status, so haven't thought about these issues very much. I like what I like and buy what I like whether or not it is LE or standard. I just don't happen to care whether or not I own something LE or not.

3. I think it comes down to accessibility - if you can't find the doll anywhere, then naturally, it's pretty limited, isn't it?

But I do agree that the word "limited" gets sort of tossed about as though it means nothing. If there was even a period of time where there was no cap on how many they would make (because if some millionaire walked in and said "I want 10 000 of this month's doll", you know Soom would make it.) then it's not really limited.

I have a doll that was limited - special wig, shoes, faceup, dress, etc. - and when I say that it was limited, I mean there were three ever made. To me, that's a genuine limited. And sure, she cost more for it, but I would never sell her for more than I got her for unless I was adding extras. (No, scratch that, I would never sell her. Period.)

4. "Limited- confined within limits; restricted or circumscribed"
      1, 10, 100, 1000, it doesn't matter. If the doll you're looking at has that permanent 'Sold Out' X on it, then it's automatically a "true limited", regardless of the amount made. What you are talking about isn't "being limited" but being rare. Are Ambers limited? Definitely. Are Ambers rare? Not in the least.

Rare things are always limited, but limited things are not always rare.

5. This is a quote for effect. THIS.

If EL or Shiwoo became discontinued that means no more EL or Shiwoo ever again. They are now limited, even though there are probably thousands in the world :/

6. Limited dolls just piss me off. I don't care about value, or having something no one else has, but I NEVER have the money right away for the doll I want, and if it's a limited, POOF! I have the money, but there's no more dolls. And I don't have access to the marketplace yet, so I've never been able to find any second-hand. Grrrrrr....

7. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?
      Yes, they're limited to that extent. They can change hands, but they won't increase in numbers. They will decrease in numbers (as they meet the last owners or just finish (dead? broken? modded? splitted?) and over time will be harder to get. Remember Hati and Skoll? Or Sard? :aheartbea

Or atleast do you think/find that some people place to much weight/value on their doll being Limited when it's not very limited?
      I don't think there's such thing as "not very limited"? =.= It's a supply and demand thing when it comes to the marketplace. But limiteds are limiteds, whether it's 10, 50, 100, 200, or 300. I agree to the opinion that says LIMITED when the company says so. Except for some IPLE HOUSE dolls. :aheartbea

When do you consider a limited doll to not be 'truely limited', and/or when does calling it 'limited' really lose it's value?
      When the company tries to make more money by re-releasing their limiteds, like IPLE HOUSE... LOL. :aheartbea

So when does a doll really become limited?
      When you desperately want to get one and none is offered for sale. :aheartbea

At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?
      When there's none on sale but there are WTBs everywhere. :aheartbea

Because a doll is 'limited' does that suddenly just make it more valuable or more important then 'standard' dolls?
      It depends on the owner to deem a doll valuable or not. My first doll (Raven, DOT Ducan) is a basic/standard doll, and he's more valuable to me than the rest of my dolls. But then again, speaking generally, yes, limiteds ARE more valuable ON THE MARKET PLACE than standards that can still be purchased from the companies. :aheartbea

Have you met people who think their 'not very limited' dolls are so special, while your 'Standard' is more rare or was hard to get, and what do you do?
      Again, it depends on each owner. I don't really care. My standards are easy to get, and thus they're not as highly priced as my limiteds. If people say their limited dolls are special (to them), that's fine with me. :aheartbea

Is there a point when a doll isn't really 'limited' just not for sale any more, and is there a difference? (Such as a discontinued mold, is it suddenly just as valuable as a limited, or not?)
      Sometimes, yes. ^^ I've wanted a Carnel ever since SOOM discontinued selling him! For me, he's a limited item! But for the company or for many others, he's not. If someone's going to sell him, no one can guess the price, I think? It might be expensive, or it might be cheap (standard price for basic SOOM MDs)... :aheartbea

Is it simply 'numbers' that determine if a doll is truely limited? Or is it just because a company says it's 'limited' that makes a doll limited?
      If you mean rare = limited, then only the rare dolls can be considered limiteds. For me, a doll is a limited if the company says so. And rare only if I can't find it on sale anymore. :aheartbea

8. I think 'limited' is jsut a fun thing to say...

I agree with a lot of people in this thread, limited.. is limited... if it's limited by number.. or by time... it dosn't matter it's still limited.

I dont' care if other people think my doll is limited or not... I still feelkinda proud of them. I usually work harder for limited dolls becasue there is only a short amount of time they are avalable... and frankly, I get giddy when I go 'He'd -limited-'... soudns silly I know, but I just thik it's fun

9. I feel like the "limited" thing is a way for the company to market the doll. it kind of bothers me that companies release so many limited edition dolls. i feel like they aren't more special because there are so many limited editions.

10. I was able to finally get my Cuprit put together from bits and pieces on he marketplace, and I worked harder and paid more money for her pieces than for any of my other dolls because I knew she was "limited" and therefore no longer available directly from Soom. Taken in context, I am more proud of my Cuprit than my other dolls simply because it took me a lot of work and time and money to gather up an after market limited =/ Much much moreso than buying one all conveniently together directly from a company. I don't think Cuprit is less special just because there are lots of Cuprits already out there. It doesn't make them any easier or cheaper to find...

11. I don't know if others have this issue, but often times people will say they have a 'limited' doll and when I learn it's something like the newest Soom release, I just want to roll my eyes and say that's not limited. Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?

To be honest, I feel the same way, but in a different way. People who pride themselves on limiteds make me roll my eyes. Who cares? Whether the doll is a virtual one of a kind or a standard model with thousands in circulation is meaningless to me.

Techincally, anything limited either in production period or with a set number is a "limited". The difference is that with a limited number the company is setting an arbitrary limit whereas with an open ordering period the customers who buy set the limitation.

Or atleast do you think/find that some people place to much weight/value on their doll being Limited when it's not very limited?

Personally, I feel a doll is limited or it's a basic edition, neither of which means much if someone doesn't love the doll. I don't think all people place "too much" weight on the doll being limited, however, I think those that do may feel it helps them be more original. Truth be told, however, no one who collects BJDs is collecting a truly original doll regardless of company. The dolls all have similarities with the way they are jointed and the materials that are used in not only the resin, but also with eyes, wigs, clothing, shoes, etc. As a result, I think if people truly wanted to be original they would lean towards artist BJDs created by people who make their dolls out of porcelain or clay and other materials.

When do you consider a limited doll to not be 'truely limited', and/or when does calling it 'limited' really lose it's value?

In all honesty, every doll tends to be "limited" in some way in BJD-land, because of not only the dolls and company marketing ploys but also because of the material. Original face-ups only last so long. Resin only retains its original color for so long. All of these dolls have expiration dates no matter how many or few there are. As for "value", the value depends on the individual. Different people will value different dolls.

Feel free to discuss a doll that you first have seen that was not very limited and then became a sort of 'true limited' doll. So when does a doll really become limited? (I've seen people try and ask for more for a doll that is 'limited' just because it is, despite the available at the time). At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?

Personally, I feel doll prices are dependent on demand. Limitation plays a limited role in this since there is such a wide selection of dolls out there. That said, some people prefer to buy dolls off of the secondary market so that they don't have to wait for the company to produce them. This can increase demand the price for a basic edition. It's all about supply and demand, not so much about limited versus not limited.

Because a doll is 'limited' does that suddenly just make it more valuable or more important then 'standard' dolls?

No. Just because something is limited doesn't mean it won't be re-released in the future or that there isn't another similar product in the market. If something is very limited I can pretty much guarantee that a company will make a move to capitalize on that demand or try to mimic the popular doll company in some way. I think of two companies that have dolls resembling the Four Sister Yo-girls from Volks, for example, and I can think of a few companies that produce the Dollshe-like males as well. I personally feel people sometimes see a doll and want one exactly like it, but the truth is that as long as the doll is similar a good face-up, wig and eyes can pretty much achieve the same result.

Have you met people who think their 'not very limited' dolls are so special, while your 'Standard' is more rare or was hard to get, and what do you do?

I honestly don't care. I enjoy my dolls for what they are - dolls - and enjoy it when others enjoy their dolls. Limitations and snobbery regarding limitations holds very little interest for me. It's not about how difficult a doll is to obtain. It's about how much an owner cares about said doll, I feel. Personally, I feel there are a lot of great dolls out there and there really is something for everyone.

Is there a point when a doll isn't really 'limited' just not for sale any more, and is there a difference? (Such as a discontinued mold, is it suddenly just as valuable as a limited, or not?)

This can certainly happen. Again, however, supply and demand sets prices and not the concept of limited versus standard.

Is it simply 'numbers' that determine if a doll is truely limited? Or is it just because a company says it's 'limited' that makes a doll limited?

A limited, as I stated above, is anything limited within order period or in number of dolls released. But, I also feel every doll has its expiration date when a new face-up is needed which in turn gives the opportunity for owners to re-create their dolls. Even resin color changes can create a new look.

12. Being a collector of comics, I totally understand limited items. I find that despite it's popularity, a limited item is still limited, no matter if it is popular or not. Limited just means it has a certain amount available and Soom MD fit into the category. Very much so. They are limited. because they will never be released again once they are sold out. 200 is a pretty low number. I mean, just think about the amount of people in the world, or the number of BJD owners/collectors in the world and 200 is very low. That would make Soom MD dolls not only limited, but quite rare. Plus Soom is popular, so also highly sought after. Many people would pay a bomb for them. As I stated before, limited just means a certain amount for sale, so I don't think it is a problem if someone states they are limited. They are stating a fact, that this doll was sold as limited. If someone wants to be proud of the fact they were able to get a limited doll, and are proud of their doll, let them be. Limited can makes things more special to the person, as you know not many people in the world have one, and they would be harder to get. So it makes it feel more unique, or to a collectors point of view, more special, sought after and most of the time, worth more money. It never looses it's value or status as limited, unless the company decide to release the exact same version of the doll as unlimited. But even then, it would still be one of the first made by that company. However, depending on people it could loose it's popularity. Because it is limited the worth will go up over time, If it is damaged in some way, the worth will go down. Also, depending on if it is more popular or not, the price can change. But a limited is still a limited. Depending on the person, it can be more valuable. But generally, yes it does make it more valuble. Important is dependable on the person. From a collectors point of view though, yes it is more important. But if you buy just for the love of BJD's, it may vary. A discontinued mold could technically be called limited, as there is only a certain amount in the world, but I think there is a difference between a limited doll and a discontinued doll. But they would be just as valuable, depending on the factors I stated above. It really has nothing to do with numbers, unless you are talking about price. But generally, say a 60cm doll that had only 10 made would be more sought after, worth more and special than one that has had 200 made, but that is also depending on what type they are, how popular the company and mold is etc, especially in the bjd world. As this hobby is not as well known or liked as say, comic collecting. But it does not make the dolls 'not limited' just because there were more made. Both would be classed as limited. I seem to pick up a bit of annoyance towards people who boast about their limited dolls. But there is nothing wrong with it. It is exactly the same as someone boasting about their unlimited dolls. And many here do just that. It just means they are proud to be the owner of such a doll, whether it be because they are limited, or because they love them. And they have a right to be proud. Let them be. And to collectors, it is just the norm. Whether a person is an owner, collector, or both, we all have a passion for BJD's.

13. I don't know if others have this issue, but often times people will say they have a 'limited' doll and when I learn it's something like the newest Soom release, I just want to roll my eyes and say that's not limited.

Yes I know the Soom dolls are 'limited', but when there 200+ of them made can they really be considered limited?

I don't roll my eyes, because if Soom has limited their numbers in some way, they are indeed an LE. There is no magic number (like 200) that determines otherwise.

When it comes to dolls, people have different things they value and care about. If being an LE, even one with larger release numbers, is important to them then that's fine. There are different ways to collect dolls. It's not something I pay much attention to, but that's just me.

As long as there is some kind of limit on the number made, then they are a limited. Some dolls are very limited, some less so. Standards are always readily available, as the company will continue to make more.

(I've seen people try and ask for more for a doll that is 'limited' just because it is, despite the available at the time). At what point do you think people can really charge more for a 'limited' doll, because it's limited?

It really depends on supply and demand. A popular LE, especially one that's hard to get will command higher prices. LEs that are easier to get and/or less popular will demand lower prices. They can charge what they want whenever they want, but if a doll is still readily available (for example: order period still going on), they may have less luck selling at a higher price.

It can indeed make a doll worth more monetarily speaking, because the supply is limited. If someone loves a standard doll, they will always be able to pick one up. That's not the case for LE's--even larger runs have finite numbers. More important, however...not necessarily. How important a doll is to a person depends on the individual. The most important dolls to me, are dolls that grab me personally whether they are standards or LEs.

That's not really come up before. I've not been around people who really talk about their dolls/other people's dolls in regards to worth. However, as long as they are not being rude, I don't care -- whether or not my dolls are hard to get or not doesn't make much difference to me. That's not why I have them.

A discontinued standard is not an LE -- it was readily available to whoever wanted one for quite awhile. However, that doesn't mean that they can't also increase in value due to a decreased supply. It just depends on the popularity of the sculpt. LE's can be limited sculpts, but can also have special faceups, wigs, clothing, eyes etc that standards don't come with.

If the company limits the number in some way, and they aren't just readily available all the time to whoever wants one, then that doll is an LE.

14. Haha, I totally agree. :lol:

While I don't have anything against limited or re-releasing limiteds, I definitely take the stamp "LE" with a grain of salt. That's not to say that a lot of LEs truly are one time releases, but I feel the doll market has been flooded with limiteds. Sometimes it's the mould, other times it's the whole set. For a limited mould, I think there might been some sense of urgency for potential buyers (esp. if they're probably going to be sold for outrageous prices on the secondhand market, or not resold at all), but I feel it's not the end of the world if a LE set is sold out, because you can always try to reproduce the face-up and clothes (and sometimes extra parts) yourself. It might even be more fun that way.

For me, good craftsmanship is more alluring than the possible prestige of a limited.

15. This isn't an abstract concept, so there's no choosing how to interpret it. "Limited Edition" does NOT mean "only released one time". It means that this edition is limited and not regular stock. You can have multiple limited editions released of the same basic item. Each of those releases is STILL limited. If you have an LE50 now, an LE100 next year, and an LE-by-1-month-period the year after that-- all of those dolls, in each of those groups, are all still LEs.

The only time a doll is not limited is when it's basic stock & is in production all the time.

16. I just bought a LE Elfdoll Sibara and she is no.9 out of only 20 dolls made, but I don't think it makes them more valuable really, it's just nice to know you have a limited doll :)

17. Well 100 to 200 in this wide world is pretty limited. Personally I think anything is limited if it is released in a limited quantity, and not released again, otherwise it's not really limited to me.

18. Well, I consider something "limited" when the proportion is, say, 1/10000 people INTERESTED in buying it. I'm waiting for a supposed limited edition now, and the only reason I call him now is that that's the way the site calls him. Now what I call limited is the doll they're making 50 units of and you can only buy it during one week.

Then again, technically every doll with a definite number of units for sale is limited, they're bound to be sold out sometime :D

Hmmm... I don't believe it's important that a doll is limited or not, that doesn't make it more special. If I get a fullset limited edition, I'll be getting the same as, say, 250 people. But if I buy a "general" doll and customize it myself, I'll be having a true limited edition; no one will ever have the same doll as I have. Isn't that more special and valuable?

19. I want to point out that while soom MDs are each limited to about the same time to order, certain dolls are more rare than others. I only follow their tinies, but I seem to recall that some like Glot/Glat were ordered in large numbers, while others (like Hati/Skoll, Shonki/Appini, the smiley fish ones) were not. So some soom MDs are actually much less in number than 200.

20. Limited..never to be released again by the company with the same outfits, same face up, same theme, same wig, same shoes.

So I guess no company is ever break this rule.

Volks Kurumi dolpa 16 and 20 are different.
      Iplehouse NC and their basic are different.
      Soom special order and monthly doll are different.
      Delf El gambler and Delf El basics are different.

Let me know if you find one that rereleased their limited dolls exactly like the first one come out again.

And..even if there are people that value limited more than basic , so what? It's personal preference.

Numbers ain't nothing but numbers. They don't matter. Even if the company says they will make only 1000 of this...that 1000 are limited.

Now there are basics that are hard to find..they're called 'rare'.