1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Its a doll, its not a real person."

Nov 27, 2009

1. It really... really has. I'd suggest doing a search as there are a lot of threads like this already and really the topic of 'are dolls real/people/my babies' is starting to feel like a dead horse and we just keep on beating it.

Anyway, I'm afraid they're right, as much as we might love and enjoy our dolls they're not people, they're lumps of expensive plastic we like to lavish attention on so really, if you're going to speak or behave in a way that isn't generally encountered in public, such as speaking for your doll or talking about them in such a way then I think it's pretty understandable that others who aren't into dolls are going to think you're a little tapped. I don't see why they should have to worry about offending someone because they don't happen to believe their doll is a person, because really, it's not.

2. I talk to my boy sometimes.
      Especaially when i'm putting pants on him since he's so stuborn he kicks me everytime.
      I swore at him too, when his knee joint pinched my finger I was all, "wtf Aubrey that wasn't nice."

And my dad was all like, "your talking to a doll!?"

Though, he's loosened up a bit, yesterday I left Aubrey in the living room and my dad was all, "whats up dude, dudeee, whats up? Dude can't you talk?"

LOL.

But yeah, my boys not a real person, but he's a character from a novel that took me a long long long time to write, so it's a huge part of who I am...considering it took me 5 years to write the thing.

My friends, at least the girls, are really supportive of me as well. One of them knows my doll by name. I've never really been on the dot mainstream, so me owning and talking to dolls isn't really odd for me. I think if we feel this way for our doll/dolls theres nothing wrong with it. I don't like calling things by this or that.
      But when I really think about it I think each doll does have a personality. Mine is so kicky is made him out to be really michivious in a way. To me, its like my dad and his cars. A lot of people name their cars. For the longest time we called our car a she >.<. Then when it was really icy out we used to always say things like, "common girl, you can do it," when going up hills. It's wierd but theres more of an attatchment to something that you've gone through a lot of difficulty with.

If there's people out there that think i'm strange because I talk to objects, *shrugs* they can think that, but I'm not about to change to fit in to society. I've learned who my real friends are, and I know that nothings going to chase them away now. >.< lol.

:aheartbea

3. Its an imagination thing. There are just some really unimaginative people in the world.
      I mean it may sound a little strange to people when we talk to our dolls or talk about them as if they are real.
      We all have incredibly different perspectives. I at least try to be a little careful to who I talk to. I try to see if the person is ok with this kind of thing or not. When i tell people about my dolls I talk about them like they are characters. and not like a little kid when they say, 'Oh my dollie doesnt like eggs D:.'(nothing wrong with that! ;D) Or something.
      For an example, if someone asks something of Knox for example, I'd say like, oh hes the kind of person who wouldnt do that, or He's the kind of guy who would like that.

4. I understand what you are saying and I am thinking you are probably young. This is not a bad thing to be young. As I have gotten older my dolls have become more works of art for me to dress up and admire. I don't talk to them in the sense that they are real but more of look how gorgeous they look. I also do not have feelings for my dolls such as if I take out their eyes or remove their clothing. I have children in real life so that may be part of it. But don't ever let anyone make you feel bad for how you feel. If your dolls start talking back to you, you may have a problem. As long as your happy who cares what other think. That being said I rarely talk about my dolls to non doll people and when I do I describe them more as artwork than a play thing and for me they are.

5. --

#25 Devil's Trill, Nov 27, 2009
      Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    6. I've had the Hubby remind me my dolls aren't real when I've said something he thinks is odd. But, he's also made comments in a similar vein (i.e. "Your doll just tried to grab my butt again. Make him stop it.").

All my dolls are character dolls. Some of these chars have been living in my head for a short period of time (less than a year) and some have been there for close to 20 years. This makes the character very real to me, which I believe helps me as a writer, but ultimately I know that these are just the imaginings of my quirky mind. Same deal goes with the dolls. While I may have attached a particular character to a doll and love them to pieces because of the connection doll and character have in my head, I know they are still nothing more than a very pretty inanimate object.

7. I don't have a doll yet, but I get that a lot when I say things like "Oh he's SOOO adorable!"
      and I usually ignore it. It's my thing, and I enjoy it.

8. I dunno, they may not be 'real people' any more than a beloved book character is, but TO ME, that doesn't mean I love that 'person' any less...
      I kind of think of them as vessels for positive energy, and so it's not uncommon to catch me cuddling or talking to them while watching a movie or whatever, hehehe...
      It's all in the mind/mindset of the beholder I guess, I know other ppl who name and cajol and encourage their cars, bowling balls, etc. *shrugs with a grin*

9. I always get that from my parents. Sometimes it makes me feel bad but usually I ignore it. Some people talk to there cars, or yell at the tv when they play video games so I WILL talk to my doll or comment on his mood.

10. While I don't necessarily see my dolls as 'real people', they have names and the characters have a personality that has been formed in my mind. Because of this I do feel affection and may treat them at times in a human like manner. It's not because I think they're 'real' but rather I know the personality that my mind connects with the doll so I know how said character would 'feel' and think etc. I don't expect most people to get it, but I do expect them to be somewhat respectful atleast. :) Some of my friends have hobbies I just don't get, and we'll tease each other light heartedly, but we're respectful and appreciative of the differences that make us quirky and love each other. (Even my friend who plays tough guy and is scared of my doll saying to burn it or it'll kill me in my sleep - I find this hilarious btw)

11. Wow, the responses to this thread were a lot deeper than I expected. and WOW lots of responses xPPP

And some of them blowing what I said a bit out of proportion, but that's okay. XD;
      The whole "i dont think he likes it much" thing was said jokingly. What I was trying to say was that I was joking around a bit and my friend got really serious on me [Maybe because he thought I was acting wierd even though it was a joke?]. That's what upset me the most. I just felt it was unnecessary of him.

linakauno: Well, I understand that people who aren't into dolls won't get it.
      But yeah, that's sort of why I collect them too. They are vessels for positive feelings and it gives a person something to care for and invest love into.

designermix
      : xD I wasn't going on and on. He actually asked me about the doll so I showed Elliot to him.
      Thank you x3

nekonezumi: I do have a few friends who understand the way I refer to him and whatnot. I'm happy for that. When my friend said that to me, I just left the entire situation alone after that and didn't go any further like you said.

nanlady: I think you just plain completely misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not one of those people who goes around in public with my doll treating it like a real person to the extreme every day. And I haven't lost any friends over it because I know when to keep it to myself.
      I find your comment has this odd air of rudeness to it..

DanceCat: Elliot is my first baby ; -; I feel so incredibly connected to him. XD
      And yeah, that's what pissed me off is that he was deliberately mocking me and trying to make me feel bad. xP
      Thanks x3

Aralyne: Yeah I haven't escalated that high on the "wierdness" scale yet. xD; I doubt I ever will, either. I am aware that he is just a doll but that doesn't change the fact that I do feel an emotional connection to him. : P

monkeycancer: Well, I didn't know he was a "non-doll" person, that is until he decided to mock me for my anthropomorphizing habits. xP Its funny, I've actually done that kind of thing my whole life and its always been in a non-serious manner. I think it was just the fact that he took me too seriously.

PinkPlushii: Well, I didn't know he was going to be totally opposed to the doll idea until he said what he said. Thats exactly why I just completely put the topic aside after that. I'm pretty much mature enough to know not to argue with people about those kind of things. XD I got upset, but I didn't get angry with him and lash out and try to convince him that Elliot was real or anything. [It seems like that's what most of these people seem to think I did LOL]

little_rika: That's exactly what I did xD I apologized to Elliot like crazy while taking his headcap off and stuff. Maybe my friend found that odd? I don't know. The thing that threw me off is that he hangs with us in a group of friends, and everyone else in that group is fairly understanding of my connection to Elliot. His reaction just surprised me, really.

kittycar: I've always been the kind of person to pretend that my doll or even my plushie or something else inanimate of mine is a real person, but in a completely non-serious manner. XD It was the fact that he took me so seriously and the tone of his voice accused me of being a crazy that threw me off, because I thought it was obvious that I wasn't being serious at all. : P

If it was someone I didn't know, I'd probably have the same reaction as you.
      Its just, since he's my friend that hangs around with a pretty understanding group of ours, his reaction was just surprising.

Kim: That's why I didn't persist after he said it. : P I put Elliot away and was done with it.

Ekonsine: Hi there. XD

I especially agree with the last thing you said. x3 I totally believe that. I don't think I could ever change myself just to fit into the norm. Not to say that I"m going to be completely obnoxious and force my weirdness upon everyone, but I'm not going to hide it either. I enjoy having my imagination. ^ ^

Gabbie in wonderlandx3
      : Yeah when he asked me about Elliot he seemed interested, which is why I thought maybe he'd be more accepting but when it turns out he wasn't, that's what shocked me. : P I didn't think I was being that serious, but I guess he took it the wrong way.

Tsukidoll: Is 21 years old young? I really hope you aren't accusing me of being like, 16 or something. XD I'm not a completely immature person.

Yeah I can see why actually having real children of your own would change your view on it though. I don't actually see Elliot as a child of mine, just someone I care very dearly for.

Devil's Trill: You may not have an imagination to the DEGREE that some people do, but everyone's got one. There are different types too, some more potent than others.

I couldn't imagine not talking to my Elliot XD I do it all the time when I'm alone.

rabidshehamster
      : I totally agree. Elliot is something that I enjoy investing love and caring into, almost like taking care of a child but without a lot of the extreme obligations.
      I love him, and want all the best for him. And the "vessels for positive energy" part hit it right on the nail for me, seeing his face makes me feel better when I'm upset sometimes. I do carry him around with me occasionally [Though I make sure not to make people in public uncomfortable] because he is something I enjoy caring for.

Kurokami: XD My parents haven't encountered Elliot yet. They don't seem all that interested in anything I do, so I don't really bother showing them anything anymore.

But yeah, I don't think I could ever stop talking to him. It just feels like something I should do..? XD Maybe thats my inner child speaking.

Woooowwww lots of responses yo. XD I bet half of you won't even come back to read these. Ah well.

Thanks for all the input everyone. :aheartbea

12. Yeah, the entire thing that threw me off is that his comment was sort of disrespectful, like he said it with total disregard to how it may make me feel. This is what hit the nerve, not necessarily that he didn't think of Elliot as a real person.

I think anything you put a fair amount of your hard earned money and your imagination into, you have the right to care and feel for it the way you want. Its natural for someone to invest a lot of emotion into something that they put so much effort into obtaining and giving a personality and etc.

I'm actually kind of boggled at the people who spend so much money for dolls simply to treat them as ornaments and nothing more, but I won't be one to judge them.

13. Hell, I talk to my dolls, not all the time but I do, and when I occasionally bump into them I apologise, over politeness or am I mad? Who knows. I'm one of the people who knows a bunch of RP/LARPers/Gamers/Artists so our imaginations are constantly erm, frantic? My friends don't really care, my friend is very attached to his material things which are video games and dvds. The one friend who does comment merely says "I think they have been breeding, there are more of them" xD

14. LOL Yes 21 is young. I did not mean it in a bad way just in a your thoughts and tastes will change and that is okay. Being young is awesome that is why so many of us miss it so much. I am almost 40 and 21 seems so long ago. But enjoy it , it was my favorite age.

15. Im glad I have a syndrome I can blame on when it comes to giving mortality to my dolls (and various other objects) :sweat

Due my Asperger Syndrome, I attach myself to objects (and pets) better than humans. I talk to them like real people, and treat them as such. But of course I know they are just objects, and when Im maintaining them, I know that. Its not like I weep my eyes out like I am slaughtering them when its time to restring them. :lol:
      - My friends and family accept that aspect with me, mostly because its a part of my child-like charm... And that the dolls give me comfort, so I wont feel sad or alone.

16. Everyone who knows me well enough to know about my dolls already knows I'm a bit odd, so they're not at all surprised. And I'm enough of a bastard that no one really wants to get in my face about things like that, anyway. ^_~

17. I get very emotionally attached to my dolls, and feel very concerned about them if I neglect them etc... I don't think there's anything wrong with that. :)

Even within such a small hobby there is inevitably variation between enthusiasts: some people feel that their dolls are like their children, others keep them behind glass for display only and never play with them. Those are both totally valid ways to interact with bjds, in my opinions.

Clearly I know in my logical mind that they are not humans, but I enjoy treating them as such and interacting with them that way. That is part of the fun for me! I don't want children, and I don't have any pets so they fill that role for me I guess.

Luckily most of my friends like dolls (all kinds) and treat them as though they are little people. They ask to know their names, and are very gentle with them.
      I'm lucky I guess! :D

18. --

#38 Devil's Trill, Nov 28, 2009
      Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    19. Hahaha your comment cracked me up. You are not odd you are actually super sweet. The first time I ever went to a doll show you chatted with me while I waited for my friends. You may have odd tastes, I did see your 6 armed girl but that is what makes life interesting. Who wants to be "normal" anyway.

20. Hey, I figure, if a guy can name his car and call it his "baby," then my doll can be talked about as though he were a real-ish person. :P It's all for fun. If someone thinks it's weird, then they're just not fun people to begin with.