1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Joy doll discussion

Jun 19, 2023

1. Hi everyone!
      I couldn't find any discussions about Joy doll sculptures and thought it was worth creating one.
      This artist creates limited heads in a unique style.

artist's instagram: Joy Jia Yi Chen (@joydolljoy) • Instagram photos and videos

At the moment he is on preorder for this Lai head until 30 June.
      Is anyone going to order it?

2. I really like Lai, but I'm going to have to pass. Thankfully, I have two of the artist earlier heads. Angel N. 02.

3. I was so excited when I saw this forum pop up. I’ve been eyeing the Lai head sculpt and I think I might dip and get it.

4. I have an Angel No2 and I am planning to buy Lai as well.

I would have made my purchase already, but I can't decide exactly which resin color I want.
      They keep showing Lai on 68cm bodies but I was aiming for maybe 62-65cm tops. I'm assuming the head is on the more delicate side, like the Angel sculpt, so feature/scale-wise I think Lai could be shorter? But will I have better odds with a hybrid in the "volks normal" or the "sng normal"? I'm just not sure yet.

In the meantime I might as well share my Angel No2 girl~

[​IMG]

Her name is Lena, she's a reshell from a Volks sculpt but she's still using the SD16 body she's always had.

5. I adore joydolls angel 2.0 head and for it made exclusion from collection’s height rule. Right now I have “head in the bottle”, but couldn’t be happier that decided to jump into opportunity and grab big head.

6. on the newcloversing website it says the head is suitable for bodies 65-72 cm. And in the photos appears a DF-H body so maybe the 63 cm body is suitable? Personally I don't like very big dolls because they take up a lot of space and are harder to move.
      DF-H also offers resin match so maybe that solves the problem?
      Your Lena is a beauty :D

#6 deathdoll, Jun 20, 2023
      Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    7. I just bought Lai in Switch/SNG normal skintone, direct from Taobao.

I'd wanted a Joydoll since I first laid eyes on the four Angel sculpts late last year (when I just came back from a dolly hiatus)... I think Lai is Joy's best sculpting yet. I have a whole lot of new dolls coming home this year and honestly didn't want to add anymore to the crew, so maybe this wasn't the best decision... but there we go. Time will tell. :sweat

From the IG announcement (same info is on the Taobao page in Chinese) ...
      • Recommended shoulder width for females is 13.5cm+, for males 14.5cm+.
      • Recommended neck circumference is 11.5cm and smaller.
      • Head circumference is approx 21cm.
      From more recent IG posts modelled on different doll bodies, it looks like Lai can go on a 65cm body, maybe shorter, if you're okay with a bit of bigheadedness.

I'm planning to make Lai female, and put her on a girl body around 64-68cm height. I was also waffling between Volks normal and Switch normal, and decided to go Switch because at my planned height, I'm more likely to buy a body made in Korea or China, than Volks.

8. I was wondering if the switch milky tea resin color was easy to hybrid with? I really like the color but it seemed when I was doing research that it’s a hard resin color to color match with.

9. @Fuailei From what I can tell, Switch milktea rose doesn't really match any other companies' resins. Some companies can resin-match their bodies to it though - Vings offers it, and I believe the two companies Doll Family-A and -H can do it if requested.

10. @deathdoll Thank you!

I do think Lai could be shorter by appearance. I tend to like slightly larger heads on my dolls, and so far Angel No2 is one of the smallest heads I own. Maybe not small headed, but small faced. Since Joy Dolls tend to have delicate features, as long as I can get a good neck fit, I think shorter will be fine. I would love it if I could get him to be 60cm, but that might be pushing it too far.

@aihre I saw the recommended measurements, but my character is a trans man, so I feel I can do whatever works best for me. And I need the head to appear a little larger in scale to his body to fit with my other dolls. I have Volks/SWITCH/LLT/Morolab - a pretty large headed crew overall.

Lai starts looking a little small headed in the promos with a very lanky body, which is very good looking but not right for my character. <3

11. I absolutely LOVE the new Lai sculpt, but unfortunately I'm at max capacity and should probably be selling dolls not ordering new ones :XD: I'm very excited to see what everyone does with their Lais, though! The faceup shown is gorgeous but very neutral and soft- I would love to see this sculpt with some fierce eyebrows to give a more intense expression... :chibi

@idrisfynn I adore Lena! She has such a gorgeous faceup and her styling is *chefs kiss* :aheartbea

12. @overlordu - Ah yes, the maximum capacity... haha >_> If this wasn't an attempted reshell I'd have to say the same thing. Thanks for the kind words on Lena. I'd been hoarding the necklace materials for years, bought on a JP trip, the stones are 2mm yellow faceted jade~

13. When it comes to wigs, do you guys think the regular size SD 1/3 will do or is it too big? The joy doll angel 2 head measures 20.5 cm according internet

14. My wife ordered Lai, so I get to paint her when she arrives! <3 We’re going to have her share an SD16 body, which if she’s the same size as the Angels like I’m hoping I’m sure will be fine.

I also have Angel #2. I’m a huge fan of the photos Joydoll has taken of the whole series, so I was basically doomed when it was released. This is Daniel.

[​IMG]

His head size fits in my current doll family pretty easily, but I have a lot of other Chinese doll heads on the same scale. He’s on an old Luts SDF65 body, for the record.

@deathdoll You want a small SD wig, 8 or 9 inches but not 9-10. They’re listed as “small 3 point” on Taobao.

15. the ethereal air of angel #2 head :D

@Amet i am undecided which is the best size to choose for the dolly planet wig whether 20-21.5cm or 22-23cm

#15 deathdoll, Jun 22, 2023
      Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    16. Thanks! <3

20-21cm is about 8 inches so I would go with that.

17. I ordered Lai in milk tea rose last night. My plan is to get another HD64 labyrinth body when switch makes them available again or else resin match through DF-H. :3

18. I ended up going with Milk Tea Rose as well. I really love my SWITCH boy in that color so why not? It may make finding a shorter body a little bit harder though.

19. Yeah… but I have early 2010s dolls with some big heads so I’m not super worried about them sticking out in the final analysis hehe