1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Just an object?

May 28, 2009

1. Oooh, I'm beginning to feel a bit bad about my handling of Aidara now. She's more or less a really fun toy to me. I have a tendency to plunk her in my bag and drag her wherever I go. Usually with my camera too and other things in my bag too. Though, she usually ends up on top of everything, nearest to the opening of the bag.
      I'm always careful to be sure she doesn't get into a spot that may damage her and I'm sure to clean out her joints and untwist anything that gets jammed, but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun if I couldn't drag her around all over to fiddle with when I need a mood boost. I really probably shouldn't carry her around as much as I should, but I do. I just love having my things to fiddle with and commonly objects that make others smile as well. Aidara and my squishy foam (real-looking) brick tend to do that the most. Granted though, I would be very upset if something was to happen, and I just wouldn't be able to replace her.

In short, she's my toy and character to me. An expensive toy, but I have a habit of saving up for expensive toys and equipment as well, and then treating it within it's limits. I'm not being reckless, but I'm terribly active and very much a pusher of limits.
      Now I'm thinking about how stupid I feel for having hung my camera over a balcony once for a shot, though I had the strap around my wrist, no damage happened, and dang was it a good shot!

2. No attachment behavior concerning things like dolls and plushies can really be that much of a surprise to anyone, I'd imagine. These things are/were created to promote attachment behavior in the first place. Of course in all the consumerism that sort of thing can get lost or perverted and you have people who prefer their toys over living persons.

Then again, people being what they are, sometimes dolls are infinitely preferable, aren't they? ^_~

Raven

3. I have numerous friends and I don't seek friendship from my dolls. I may be overreacting, in your mind, however because I chose to defend myself. The topic here was "are dolls just objects?" and I plan to stay on that path.

To me they are objects. But they are objects that I enjoy immensely. I like dressing them, taking pictures of them, and I enjoy creating stories for them. You may like them for their inane beauty and their aesthetic and that is perfectly acceptable. The difference is that no one is saying that you are being "snobby" for thinking that way.

However unfortunate, you are coming off as someone that would be rather hard to talk to about dolls. I feel as if you are placing a price tag on these dolls as a "Look look, I can buy expensive things" and not for the multitude of reasons that some of the other members of DOA got into collecting.

Dolls are objects, but how one treats them can make them more, or can make them less. Simple as that.

(and btw, I'm a boy... ^__^ lol)

4. I have already explained myself from saying that particular activities are childish to me. If this has been offending - I honestly am sorry. No more unfortunate words from me! Hopefully... :sweat

Anyway - I actually don't bother with their price, since I simply can afford them. If someone wishes to call me snobby for having a BJD - well, it's their way of seeing things. I wouldn't get offended as I think that, into some extnent, owning a huge, expensive BJ resin IS in some way a show-off of snobism.

I have already said somewhere else that there are a cheap-o versions of BJDs, low quality, mostly ugly but cheap. And affordable. But, for some reason, we all choose those expensive ones. ;)

I'm a bit joking here now, but... if I ever get emotional over my BJD it will probably be due to the whole effort of getting one to look wonderful. ;o

5. Speaking of being too 'old', Asatee, I'd be interested to learn how old one must be to stop creating characters for dolls... I'd actually really love instead of seeing you responding to the rest of us (or rather, only those who don't share somewhat your views) to see you actually, honestly, giving us your opinion - but bearing in mind you have already stated you do not own a BJD.

When I first bought a BJD I had a vague character for him and named him because I was under the impression that was the 'done' thing. I hadn't realised at the time that was optional. However, at that time I didn't think I would ever bond with him like I have bonded with my later dolls, nor did I ever think the characters I created would expand further than an imagined 'personality' for posing purposes. I certainly never gave him a backstory, and my only dolls that even have surnames are my two Bahas! So I've found this thread extremely amusing, since I know first hand how one's perceptions of these little things can change just by owning one :3

6. Childish or not, my dolls are more than just expensive objects to me. I treat them like close friends, and I care about them a great deal. I realize that they are simply dolls, but I also still do really love them. But that's just the kind of person I am.

I also get attached to my paintings, specifically when I paint a figure or a face. I think the thing is that I put so much love and care into some things, that I can't help but feel caring towards them. (I hope that explained it better.)

7. You have no idea, how I'm excited to see if my views change on the subject. An how drastically. ;)

But I'm really unhappy this - planned to be normal - discussion ended up this way. I've had my observations on how people treat bjds and wanted to see, how much it's true and how particular owners see them.

8. What do you mean 'ended up this way'? I'm actually really interested to hear your personal views, rather than your opinions on our views too. I've already explained my views (twice!) and I think this thread is very interesting - I just think people get too hung up on being judged and subsequently offended here :lol: Don't let it discourage you, this is a fascinating thread ^_^

9. Oh, thank you. At first I have sensed a bit of sarcasm, so I felt like having to start excusing everyone for having a bit different view.

But, back on the subject -
      I have started to get interested in BJDs mainly due to their easethetic side. I'm greatly impressed by the body precision which is the main value of those dolls.

I'm an artist, I draw and paint people alot and I just know, how those tiny things make the whole person look perfect. Veins on hands, collar bones... I've seen so many portraits of bjds with those glossy lips and sleepy eyes, that I have fallen in love with them. Owning a bjd would become a constant inspiration for my works.

Also, I have been a medieval clothing tailor few years ago, and I'd like to get back to sewing. I don't even own a doll myself and I have already made up a concept for her clothes. D:

10. I think it`s the warmth I feel from them ... literally and figuratively. They have this spark inside of them that gives them character. I hold them in my arms and I`m suddenly overflowing with emotions, I can`t explain it. It`s the same when I`m drawing or painting and suddenly feel the chacter watching me from the canvas, looking straight into my soul.
      And also the eyes, yes, definitely eyes, that gentle look makes them so very alive. But it`s more about that feeling ... an emotional bond ... the knowledge that there`s someone behind those eyes looking back at you. I can`t give you one reason, maybe it`s just how I see things ... Because it`s not just about BJDs, I have other dolls and they all have personalities, they`re just ''special'' and every single one of them is unique. I hope I made it clearer for you! ^^

11. i pretty much carry my dolls around like i hold a child. they cost a lot and i don't make a lot so they mean a lot to me. they stay on a small book shelf in my room where the sun does not touch them.

12. I think those MIGHT be the feelings I'll get when I finally choose to buy that one, prefectly "mine" doll. Many are pretty, but I guess there's always that one, which is made just for you...

13. Oh, that`s definitely true! You will know when you see that doll! ;)

And this is a really interesting discussion! I love to see everyone`s views on the subject!

14. Keep in mind Asatee, I have no illwill towards you, just wanting to clear that up.

I hope you enjoy this hobby much the same that many of us already do. When you get a doll, I certainly hope it's everything you want it to be and more. Who knows? Maybe you'll end up more involved than right now! ^__^

Best wishes.

15. Thank you! Be sure I'll post pictures from that big day of arrival. ;>
      Currently, I'm still thinking on which one to get. >.<

16. I completely agree with this. I did much browsing when looking for my first doll, and when I saw her... it felt like she jumped off the screen and grabbed me. I *had* to have her...! She was definitely "my" doll. It was worth it for me to hold out until I got this feeling from a doll :) It was a fun search, too!

Back when I first encountered the hobby, I found parts of the very strong emotional attachment quite unusual: that is, I'd never come across this sort of thing before, it was unique -- or at least seemed to be unique -- to this hobby.

But I love it now. I totally go for it with gusto. I'll talk about my dolls as if they are real little people with real personalities because I find it genuinely FUN! :aheartbea: It's make-believe, not real belief, for me. I love to pretend that Edward is a wee bit grumpy and Jack is a wee bit soppy and Lily is a wee bit aloof. It is my way of enjoying the hobby :) Also... part of my job is to make stuff up. So... well, I do it on a daily basis anyway! :D It's natural for me, haha!

I do feel that if I was not able to create some sort of personality for any doll I ever owned, I would not feel comfortable owning that doll. As I said earlier, I find that I treat them they way I do because they are so easy to personify... easier than, say, I dunno... my computer, or any other object I own (I'm a bit sentimental) -- because of their massive realism.

It is just a personal preference, though ^_^

17. Umm I never did anything like that. My plushies sit on my sofa just the way my doll will do (except the fact they don't need to be protected from yellowing). My two favourite plushies sleep right next to me, either in my arms or on my pillow. They all have names, I say goodbye, when I leave home for a while and stuff like that.

I always thought my plushies somehow have a soul, and after toystory I definitly believe toys (whatever, dolls, plushies, action figures) have feelings too, so be nice with them ;)

18. My dolls are like my friends, but not my only friends.
      I have a busy worklife, a pretty good social life (when work lets me, but i have good friends who have been beside me for years) & a wonderful boyfriend!
      I find it nice to come home after a stressful & exausting day to come to my room & blurt "hi guys!" then sit with my guys keeping me company. I do care for them a great deal (some more than others) & being an unmaternal person i sometimes feel my 'mothering/caring instincts' have been imposed on my dolls (i am sad i dont like young kids but i dont, but i do love to dote & care, i have a lot of kindness to give- i hope)
      They are friends to me, they have their own personalities.
      I enjoy having them around to make me smile, keep me company, & to be creative with ^^

I treat them with respect & care, regarding holding i use the crook of my arm too. Whilst tattooing Raziel (from chest over his back) i had him resting on a cushion & yes i found myself checking he was comfortable XD Sometimes it is nice to escape the 'real' world...
      :aheartbea

19. Although they're objects, my dolls are a kind of extension of myself. I've painted most of their faces, made up personalities and names for them, and invented life stories for them. I have fun with them and channel lots of my creative energy into playing with them. They are a welcome respite from my real life and I value them for that. I am very careful of them because I don't want them to break. I did the same with my childhood dolls, which I still have after all these years.

20. I am very paranoid about damaging my doll, so I handle them with extreme care. I don't cuddle them or hold them in my lap when doing other things, because I am afraid in a moment of carelessness or plain bad luck I might mess them up. I'm too fussy to ever take my dolls outside or to a con. However, my kind of "taking care of" is more toward the doll as object rather than doll as imaginary friend. Like I said, I wouldn't cuddle or hold them for a long time as one might hold a pet or a living thing. But I would spend a long time trying to get the wig to look just right. I don't feel guilty or miss them particularly if I keep them in a box. But I do make sure the box is in a dark, dry, clean storage place. My primary interest in dolls is as beautiful objects. I love how bjds can look and the fun for me is maintaining and changing their appearance.

I do make up personalities to go with my dolls, but it's very rudimentary... for me, I'd much rather draw designs of a character, if I were to invent one, than to try to turn that character into a doll. I'm in the minority on this, but I think that making an original character into a doll imposes too many restrictions on my creativity. I do like playing pretend with dolls as I did in childhood, but it's a secondary thing for me. I can't pretend 24/7.

So... for me, I'm one of the people that treasure a doll as an object more than as a companion/friend/character.