1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Just how delicate are dolls?

Jul 8, 2009

1. Yeah I think I was stunned for a moment when she flipped I was sitting there like :aeyepop: And then ran over to her she seemed fine so I grabbed a pic then inspected XD So I just had to post that picture on the "I fell down and went boom" thread ^^;

2. Hi all

Ummmm, I hear they are made of resin :o now, resin allows for stuff to be highly detailed but it scares me. I got two figures (not dolls, figures) in resin and both have been known to break easily and have customers recieving their item broken.

I am literally scared to go near my 18" resin figure (Cloud from Final Fantasy VII) but this surprised me from a doll tutorial: "They name them, make or buy clothes for them, buy other BJDs to be their "friends" and even sleep with them in their beds."

That sorta put my fears about this doll at ease because they must be somewhat durable if you can treat them like a teddy bear. What is everyone's experiences with resin? Have your dolls broken and stuff?

3. I've knocked one of my tiny sized dolls of the top shelf of the display case twice now:doh. My large doll has face planted on to a carpeted floor a few times as well. On all occasions no damage was done. Now I could have just been very lucky, but I would say they are more durable than you would expect.

4. For the first week or so I had Tanal home his head kept popping off and rolling across the floor. Then he took to flopping over backwards and throwing his headcap (and wig) across the room.
      The first time I unstrung my Dollshe I practically had an explosion of doll parts all around the room (yet another reason I like to un string sitting on a carpeted floor).

So far the only damage on my dolls is Christopher has managed to slightly abrade his back. Oh, and Gamrut chipped his ear mod, but that was the Apoxy Sculpt, not resin.

A friend's El took a nose dive off the back of my truck onto pavement and came away with slightly scraped knees and knuckles. Yet another time, if I recall correctly, he'd fallen onto carpet and lost a finger.

It's really variable. In large part they are surprisingly durable, and some companies you can just feel are more solid than others (my Domuya boy beats the others, no question), but then something simple can happen and a finger gets snapped.

Now, I don't regularly sleep with any of my boys in my bed, but everybody but the Dollshe (who is the most delicate overall, though thothep's hands are also quite fine) has joined me at least once, and Tanal is always getting grabbed for cuddles when I'm upset or not feeling well. But it's really rather scary to have them in my bed as it is lofted and the rails only reach about an inch above the mattress.

Take a look through the general section, I'm quite certain I've seen a thread or two on this before. Though if you're curious about durability of a certain doll ask by name.

5. Hmmm. That is a good insight.

Well I am getting one of the Doll Zone dolls at the 1/3 size, 60cm. I will search for other topics on resin/doll durability.

6. well my little niece came to visite and she did throw my Selena with a bang on the floor, (i got a stone floor) my hart jumped when i picked her up, there was not a mark on her! i undressed her and there wasn,t even a scratch! so i think their not that delicate but still: handle with care!

7. I think that the resin used in these dolls is a little different from the resin used in figures...I have resin figures that are very fragile, but these dolls are nothing like those. Maybe it's the way it's cured.

8. Seems like it, I just got redirected at this thread and some of the responses have eased my fears quite a bit. Sure you still have to be careful and delicate with these dolls but it is safe to handle them, although I would not sleep with them like a teddy bear as some people do, still too scared.

And the yellowing has also answered another question I have which was about which skin tone to get.

Oh but does anyone have any opinions specifically about the Doll Zone ball jointed dolls? I get the feeling people might not but I am much more confident about my purchase of my first ball jointed doll now.

:lol:

9. I adore Dollzone, they are sturdy, pose well, attractive and a decent price!

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103345 We are currently doing a pic spam of our minis, jump in and ask questions. I PROMISE we'll give you the skinny on these ladies and gents!:lol:

10. Don't underestimate your doll. They are quite tough. I think i've been hurt by my doll more than anything (the hook).

11. I've restrung several DollZones, and they felt pretty durable. I'm even planning on a DZ body for one of my floating heads. Heck, you want durability of DZ, ask kuraiangels, she has let little kids play with her boys.

12. Argh YES! My AoD's hook sliced my thumb open. And never, I repeat NEVER let the elastic in and Iplehouse EID contatract and snap the hook down on your finger! Whle the hubby struggled to release me I sat there picturing the Emergency room staff laughing...*wasn't broken but wow it hurt for days!*

13. *shudder* Children! Oh lord no not children. I get nervy when children come near me, with their sticky hands and lack of hand-eye co-ordination, so if I ever saw one near my doll I would freak worse than Chicken Licken. I'm sure there are gentle kids out there, but to most of them, dolls are just more poseable Barbies to chew and drool on.

14. To me they're just for posing, decorating and taking photo more than playing with. So mostly store them in container. And the makeup and cleaness of skin is quite easy to ruin :-(

15. I think they're fairly resilient. I have a Delf Lu-Wen and he's been really great so far.

Although I haven't had my doll for long, I've already managed to have him fall from about 3 feet. He was standing up and flipped, landing on his back. Not a scratch as far as I can see. The only damage I've seen on mine so far is some notches on his neck (possibly a result of me over tightening the strings at one point in my test runs, or maybe even from the fall) and a small nick on the bottom of his ankle joint that was caused by too tight strings meeting pliers.

I've also had one occasion where I ended up getting some bright orange marker on his body and head cap (it was on my fingers and it passed onto him). I got it off really easily with a knock-off Magic Eraser so again, no harm done ^^.

16. Well.....

My puki was flung off a table, smacked into a metal chair, and then hit a concrete floor... and she was totally fine! Not even a scratch ^_^

An SD I used to own took a dive off a bar top and landed.. you guessed it! On a concrete floor! (obviously I have to stop taking my dolls to places with concrete floors) And she was perfect too ^_^

And holy cow woman you should watch me restring a doll, I would have made a good interrogator in a past life cause the things I do to my poor dolls when I'm restringing them would make some people flinch.

These suckers are durable!
      ~Gio :aheartbea

17. I've heard horror stories about yellowing and the doll's reaction to the sun. I'm sure I'm always going to be a little hesitant about taking my doll out.

Do you think doll stands are a good option for BJDs? Would a stand prevent some of the potential faceplants?

18. My AOD nini stands like a dream, too. But I've been bad and set her on the edge of my desk a lot where she's easily knocked off. Thankfully no damage yet.

19. The dolls are much sturdier then they look. Granted they still can be damaged but a small fall or bump won't ruin them.

20. Hey everyone,

I am looking into buying my first BJD and, since I am a student and something like this is quite a significant investment for me, I would like to know your opinions on which ABJD company makes the most durable, longest-lasting dolls. Now I don't plan to throw my doll around; I will likely treat her as porcelain, however, if I spend half a grand on a doll I would like her to last.

Thank you! :dance

Sarah