1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep OR Sell?

Apr 15, 2018

1. If the doll just isn't for you, I don't see why you should make yourself keep her when you never made any promises to do so. :-) Think of it this way:- the person you end up selling her to might well enjoy and appreciate her far more than you ever could! Or you might be giving that person a chance to acquire their grail doll.

2. I sold my very first doll for the same reason. I just didn't like it in person as much as I thought I would. I don't regret selling it at all. In your case, maybe you can ask the original owner if they want the chance to buy their doll back? Sometimes people sell dolls they love and regret it later on, so before you put it up for sale, maybe ask them if they want a chance to get it first. I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't be offended if someone sold on a doll that I had sold to them, these things happen. At the end of the day it's just a doll.

3. My first doll's sculpt got reshelled after a year because of a change of tastes (although I hadn't sold her yet, it's a possibility I'm seriously considering). It's perfectly normal for some dolls to not "click" with you. Like what the others have already suggested, you may want to check first with the original owner if they'd want to buy her back. Even if they won't (and the doll gets sold to another person), I'm sure they'll still appreciate that gesture.

4. I think that you shouldn't feel sorry for the previous doll's owner. Try to look at the problem in this way: because you care, it would be even better if you sell the doll to someone who will bond with her and love her. It's not like you are going to betray anyone. You bought this doll and now it's your property.

5. The doll has done her job. She brought you company and fulfillment, and because of having her around you have learned what you *really* want to invest your money and heart into in the future. Similar size and make, different sculpt and color.

It's okay to want something other than what came your way early on! It's okay to resell. You don't have to of course, but as mentioned above I also think it would be nice to get in touch with the person you bought her from, in case they either want to buy her back or just be able to look up the next owner's photos. In the end, you shouldn't worry so much about how it will affect others (though it indicates that you care!) You have the instinct that it's time to consider this option, so don't feel guilty about it ^^

6. I also think that if you are not crazy about the doll that you should sell her and get something you can enjoy 100%. The person you sell her to will probably love her. I don't think that the previous owner would be upset, after all, she sold the doll as well.

These dolls are too expensive and to work with one takes more money and time. You should be completely happy with your doll, it's only logical.

7. I sold my first doll. Basically changed my whole collection except two dolls. In the beginning it was sentiments but dolls are just dolls, and their main purpose is to make us happy. So when I'm not happy with sth I change it. I came through few stages in this hobby and even my taste in dolls changed, so for me it's quite normal that you want to sell your doll. Do what's best for you, not for previous owner or doll, you are most important and this hobby (as all others) are about being happy.

8. Still too new to the doll hobby to talk about this from a BJD perspective, but I had something similar with fountain pens! Bought a rare one off an owner who was selling to get funds for their grail pen, left it alone because the nib and body design didn't click with me, ended up selling it to someone else who was absolutely in love with it. (For the curious, the pen was a 1900s Mabie Todd Swan Chatelaine, most recently seen being used by James Moriarty in one of Robert J. Downey's Sherlock movies. Not the exact pen, of course, just a same model and make.)

You can't make entire worlds and stories out of pens as you can with dolls and their faces/personalities, but I think the same reasoning applies here in terms of love/bonding/precious gems. What you sell today might be someone else's treasure tomorrow, and it sounds like the person who sold her to you did make the choice to give her up for another rare fav. I agree with the other peeps about asking the original owner if she wants a chance to get her former grail back.

Once that's set, relax and let your dollie free! I'm sure you'll both be happier by the end of it. :)

9. I sold my first, second, third and etc. I didn't find my perfect doll for a year into hobby. So the first we will say ten dolls to me weren't keepers, but they taught me a lot. So don't feel bad your not really bonding with the first BJD you ever had.

I would talk to seller in case she would like to buy her back. I often wished people at least asked me before they sold a doll to someone else. If she asks why just be honest and say you love the company's style but you want to try another doll. Limited budgets usually mean one goes before another comes in. If she passes then you must have your first selling a bjd experience.

Good luck.

10. I can become very attached to things, so for me selling things like plushies or books or dolls is always very hard if I enjoy or used to enjoy them. I would probably sell a doll if it definetly didn't work for me and I know someone else would actually love her and take care of her properly. If I come to a bad financial place, I have a "list" of less favourite to favourite things where my doll is pretty high up, therefore I would sell other stuff than her if I need it.

11. Thank you all for your advice! :hug: I think I will end up selling her and I'll definitely contact the previous owner first. It would be silly to keep a doll out of obligation for whatever reason even if I don't love her. And I know someone else will give her all the love and attention she deserves :aheartbea

12. I know it can be hard I felt the same way a while back when I started collecting but I made lists with reasons about why for each doll and was honest about how much time, and work went into each doll. Once I went through this I downsized and I was able to buy my first bjd as a result, I now have a much less amount of nonbjd.

13. Bills come first. Whether or not I WANT to sell a doll is inconsequential to whether or not I NEED to. If my job is slow and I'm finding it difficult to make ends meet due to lack of overtime, I put dolls up for sale. Do I ever regret selling them? Sure. But if it means I won't go further into debt or am able to pay down a high bill, it's worth it.

Just keep in mind, this is a hobby. It is a luxury, not a necessity. Dolls can be replaced. And honestly, for most of the dolls I've sold, I don't really miss them that much. I would, however, missing having a house or a car or food on the table.

14. I am in the same situation at the moment :( reading all these replies there is an overwhelming side to sell.. but I still feel guilty! Would love to know what you end up doing and how you feel about it

15. What a beautiful and well articulated response, I really resonate with that! Thank you

16. I never have difficulty deciding whether to keep or sell. I think part of that is be because I keep my dolls out on display all the time, so I’m always viewing them constantly in a very casual way, and this enables me to be calmly aware if their characters are still working for me. If one isn’t, then I’ll go about my day normally, with the problem casually relegated to the back of my mind. Eventually, the reality of it always surfaces naturally...I just don’t rush it. I may simply need to tweak something, or it may be time to sell or re-shell. But by just letting the issue “be” and not putting any pressure on myself, a decision always becomes crystal clear over time.

17. If It happened to me, I probably sell it. But who knows. Change her eyes, maybe make her a new wig. And yes. You can wipe her face up, and make a new one. If it's not working put her in her box, and if you don't miss her, it's time to sell her. It's a pain if you want to love a doll but you can't.

18. All these replies are so helpful to see different perspectives.
      I'm fairly new to the hobby and have never sold anything, but my first one I loved the company photos, but I don't love him as much as a floating head I just bought. It's a dilemma for sure. But i feel like it'd be good to see my floating head with a body and see how he gets along with my first. They may become something like close cousins. however, it feel's like it'll be a while before I find the right body.

19. I've put dolls away or aside that I don't bond with, and... I... completely forgot they were there! :doh

I have a MYOU Ben who has been in his box since around mid-2019. I don't remember when he got put away, to see if I missed him. Then, life kind of got in the way, as did other dolls, and he's still there/here. I need to acquaint myself with the forum's marketplace as a seller. As I've got a few to rehome.

I have held on to my first doll for eight years, despite not really bonding with him. It was great to have him around, when he came in, as it was something of a difficult time. But, he's just been sitting around for much of his time here. While others get attention and photos taken of them. I've tried many times to alter his appearance with wigs and eyes, outfit alterations, but nothing suits. Nothing has ever been 'Yes!' or 'It's you'. Because there's never been a definite image in my mind for him. Yet, there's that sentimentality there. He's my first doll, my intro to the hobby, and he was my companion in a difficult time.

Saying that, I keep threatening to rehome him. I tried once, but the transaction soon fell through. But, when I next get a good day off, I'll take some photos and figure out what might be a decent asking price [I have no idea how to figure that out]. And, I'll list him, my MYOU Ben, and my menagerie of floating heads. Maybe, even the two I'm pretty hellbent on re-shelling. Or, the body for one, as i keep meaning to get him a better one.

20. Dear CutieKitty, I am curious, what did you decide to do with the dolls? I hope you found joy and peace in whatever choice you made.