1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep OR Sell?

Apr 15, 2018

1. I part with dolls only if I don’t feel attachment.

2. I would not sell a doll to finance something else, unless it's absolutely needed (like a really dire emergency). Clothes or a move can be saved for, usually, and are a limited time thing (as in, clothes wear down and a move is just a temporary event).
      But once the doll is sold...well, it's sold. That's a permanent thing. So when you sit with your new clothes in your new apartment you might regret having sold the doll you liked and have no chance of getting again.

However, if you are already on the fence about owning so many dolls anyway, maybe it's time to part. At the end of the day the hobby should make fun.

Personally I know that when I seriously think about selling a doll, it's time. If I wanted to keep it, I wouldn't think about getting rid of it.

3. Dolls are like a personal library for me, each one of them have a story of their own. If they dont have a story, then its bye-bye. I have 70+ and majority of them do have a story or two, but few do not, and I intend to sell them soon.

4. Either have them put up for a while or change their story or character maybe once or if I haven’t done anything with them in a while or feel no bond in general.

5. What an eloquent way to put this! This is exactly how I see my own collection as well.:)

Even on a tight budget, I’ve only ever sold a doll that wasn’t fitting their character in order to refine my collection rather than to raise money for something else. Personally, I would think long and hard before committing to sell dolls that are particularly rare. But in the end, only you can decide what’s right for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

6. My doll’s character is as important to me as the doll itself. If I lose interest in the character, the doll has to go.

7. I've sold a few in the past when I realized I found them frustrating to work with or uninspiring. Two of them I bought pretty impulsively too.

I've been meaning to sell some of my tinies since I got my first MSD near the end of last year. Just seeing her and holding her makes me so happy, it helped put how I feel about some of the others in perspective. I've put a few of those I'm considering selling aside, to see if I'd miss them.

8. I decide to sell my dolls when I don't feel like I *absolutely need* them, or when I need the money if I'm honest. I'll sell a doll if it no longer fits with the idea I had in mind for the character either.

I usually when considering selling a doll ask myself first, how hard would it be to replace this doll if I regret the decision to sell? I won't sell irreplaceable dolls unless I decide I absolutely do not need them.

If I look at a doll and the only thing I can see in it is dollar signs I know it's time to go lmao.

9. I keep them as long as possible, even they just held in the box.
      But when I need money really bad, or I understand that won't play with them - I sell them

10. It depends on the doll. Some dolls I love in photos but when I have them myself, I don't have the same feelings for them in person. I will usually try changing the eyes, wig and outfit several times to see if anything clicks with me, and if it doesn't then I will move on.

Then there are other dolls that frustrate me in other ways, for example, I have a doll that I absolutely love, but finding shoes and clothes that I like is near impossible OR extremely expensive to the point where to get one outfit I like I could buy another bjd with it, and I cannot justify it. I love to dress my dolls, and change their clothes quite a bit, so having NOTHING that I like frustrates me to a point where I cannot enjoy the doll.
      I have had other dolls that I couldn't find clothes I liked and after spending hours searching etsy, ebay and various doll websites I gave up and sold the doll. I don't like to spend hours upon hours searching for things only to come up empty, that is usually when I throw in the towel and list them.

11. What kinds of things do you take into consideration when deciding to sell a doll?

I'm debating selling my Moriko, but I'm not sure if i really want to, recent money things are getting to me, or i'm just frustrated and more motivated by other potential customizing projects I'd like to work on. When I bought her, I didn't have a plan on how to customize her, and a year and half after she arrived I still don't really have an idea, and don't really like any of the supplies i have that i think could suit her. I do like her and think she's adorable, and really like her box/ display she came with! But she's just sitting here blank, and if I sold her, I could use that money for dolls i do have more of a plan for when it comes to customizing, especially since we've had some unexpected expenses come up that mean i have less of a budget i can easily set aside for dolls monthly.

Also, other than the Marketplace, where are good places to sell a doll? I've heard people mention instagram, but I'm not very active there, and I don't know what kinds of Facebook groups are good.

12. First, I saw many people who sell their dolls on Vinted. But didn't know if it works in your country. And yes, there are Facebook groups and Instagram. On Flickr too but it's rare now.

And, for the motivation. Well, before putting a doll in sale I think about the fact : will she miss me ? I regreted selling some of my dolls, I made this because I needed money. But know, I always keep thinking of that simple question. I have some dolls who don't have face-up or a proper customization. But I don't want to sell them. Maybe one day I will find their right style. Maybe not. But I love them and I will keep them. It's also the fact that I have many sold out dolls or limited editions so I know I won't be able to find them in the future if I want to.
      But in the end, it's all about what you want to do, You. ;) If you think you can live without your doll and you can use the money to another project which you like most, so why not ?

13. There are several other sites: bjdcollectors.com, bjd.circlly.com are two places where I have made purchases outside of here besides Facebook groups. I haven't bought off of twitter or Instagram though I have friends who sell on there. I would prefer here or other similar websites.

As for if you should sell or not, it's truly up to you. If you feel more upset when you look at her, put her away for a while. See if that makes you feel less angry about the lack in progress on her. Artistic inspiration cannot be summoned. I have bought heads that I have 0 plans with but just KNOW I will do something with. It takes a while to figure it out but eventually it comes to me!

However, if even after some time, you still feel angry - I would sell her. I feel a similar way about a doll I have and yet when I look at other owner's photos of the same doll, I wonder why my doll isn't as cute as theirs? Trying different wigs on her help but I think I need to change her faceup. Or add eyelashes. Or something. She's still in her box until I decide.

14. I've had good luck selling dolls on various facebook groups.

It's not letting me post any direct links to the groups, so just go to facebook and type BJD into search

15. I mostly only sell here because I feel it's safer, and there are no fees, but I have sold one on eBay (though don't seem to have much luck and fees are really high) and some from Instagram. Things usually sell pretty fast for me there. I tried FaceBook groups and had no luck at all, but I think it's because I felt the group was so disorganized I had trouble even finding my own posts, much less anything I was actually looking for and just got frustrated and gave up. I'm not a FB fan at all, but I know lots of people prefer it.

As to deciding when to sell, for me it's when I see dollar signs instead of a character I once enjoyed. If I'm already thinking about what I'd do with the money, it's time for the doll to go more often than not. If I'm not totally sure, I'll box them up and stick them in a closet for a month. If I miss them and get them back out, they stay. If I don't care at all, it's time to go.

16. I have sold multiple dolls over the years and I always found it came down to whether or not I liked the functionality of the body and the size. I actually sold my first doll not long after I got her because I found that I didn't like the way the body posed and that was just a deal breaker for me. One doll I'm currently selling I'm doing so because I realized that the large size dolls just aren't for me--I prefer dolls around 45cm.

The only doll I regret selling was my Pukifee Zoe...I adored that doll so much. Her posing fantastic and the tan beautiful. I can't really remember why I sold her, but I definitely would like another Pukifee again someday.

So I would say it really depends on what's important to you. It might be also a good idea to consider how easily you can get the doll again should you decide to sell. :daisy

17. For me, it’s all about the character and how well the sculpt suits my vision. If, once it arrives, it doesn’t mesh perfectly with my initial idea for whatever reason, then I just sell it and move on. If, over time, the character fades away from my interest, I will sell it and move on. If the character outgrows it’s shell, and needs to change its scope, I will sell it and move on. It’s a process of refining one’s collection, really. I’ve been collecting BJDs for many years now, and while I very seldom experience the need to sell anymore, I remain open to the possibility. It’s all about creating the perfect collection for me, and I would never let one of my perfectly shelled characters go because money is tight…because I know I would miss them and have regrets later (there’s always other ways out of a temporary bind.) As for where to sell, I have always sold and bought exclusively right here on the DoA marketplace because it’s very easy and safe. People are held accountable here.

18. I’ve sold a number of dolls over the years - always on DoA - I like the Marketplace
      here - and the fact that we can check feedbacks. I have bought, in the distant past,
      on ebay - not any more tho. Sorry, no trust in social media at all.

I agree with what @PoeticSoul said about keeping/selling, and have done what
      @CloakedSchemer suggested about putting a questionable doll in the closet
      and seeing if it is missed. Seldom has one gone into a closet and been kept…

19. I have had many bjds through my hands some last for years and others only months, if I don't feel I love them I always think about selling them, I have never felt I did anything wrong, plus new bjds come with sales, if you feel you miss them you can always go back to look for it on sale and buy it back.

even so I have always thought that if you need to sell something for some emergency or need you are doing the right thing.

don't be afraid of change

20. Your dolls have to keep inspiring you and give you emotions like excitement, happiness, love.

To some people, they're more than just dolls, but more so companions through our lives, going through it all with you thick and thin. When you're at your lowest with the dilemma of having to sell your dolls in order to make ends meet, kinda feels like having to give up on a loved one.
      There are always other options to consider when you're facing financial difficulties, like working extra hours or selling off other possessions. Ultimately it all boils down to accepting the pros and cons of the decisions you make, as long as you don't regret selling them, especially when it comes to limited edition dolls.