1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Kimono for Slim MSD (Bobobie/Resinsoul)

Oct 13, 2016

1. I was thinking of buying a rather intricate kimono sized for MSD dolls. The cast I was thinking of getting it for is actually a Resinsoul/Bobobie and to my knowledge requires an MSD slim fit. Despite this I really love the design of the clothing and was told by the shop owner (based on the measurements I provided) that it would simply be a loose fit but would still work. In addition there doesn't seem to be many kimonos in MSD slim that have the level of intricacy that I would like for the particular taste of the doll I'm envisioning.

Has anyone ever tried an oversized kimono on their dolls and if so did it matter much? It's a rather expensive item so I'd rather not second-guess and get something that will cause issues or look silly. Alternatively, does anyone know where I could possibly find more intricate kimonos in the size I need?

Much appreciated <3

2. The way I have learned to wear kimono, proper length matters more than width. Kimono are relatively forgiving garments, in which the wearer can adjust the final length and width as necessary each time you put it on.

Since the item you have your eye on is relatively high quality, my response is being written on the assumption that it is authentic style. That is, multiple separate pieces, not a preassembled one-piece garment which can not be adjusted much.

When putting the kimono on your doll, secure the karihimo (a thin sash or ribbon which goes before the outer obi) around the main garment with a knot, then turn the doll face-down. Spread the face of the back of the kimono, starting in the center, folding the sides neatly underneath - sort of origami style - so the back of the garment looks tidy and not wrinkled. You can hide all the extra back fabric this way. If you take your time and work with care, it should not look bulky. Do the same for the front panels as necessary so they too have crisp lines and no lumps or bulk.

Since you have found a design you really like in a relatively close fit which errs slightly on the large side, I would vote to go for it.

If this were a case of a non-slim doll trying to fit into a slim garment, I would urge the owner to take careful measurements and to inquire with the maker as to how much of the garment is intended to be folded under on the doll it was made for. Again, it may be workable in that case. From what I understood though, you are putting it onto a doll which may be a little small for the garment.

The difference between SD and MSD sizes would be cumbersome, but the difference between non-slim and slim MSD kimono shouldn't be a big deal. I have even managed to get my 1/6 doll to wear a 1/4 scale yukata passably with strategic folding-in of the extra fabric. I hope this helps!

3. It very much does! Thank you so much for the advice ^w^ from what I've seen in the item description it is multiple pieces so I should be able to follow your suggestions thoroughly.