1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to live with being clumsy?

Oct 24, 2019

1. I have A.D.H.D., so in general I’ve grown accustomed to my own clumsiness and learned to blow it off. But I’ve dropped both of the 2 doll heads I own currently (I’ve got a third on the way) and damaged them that way. I have a minifee head that I dropped and dented her nose and chin. Both popped out with boiling and a tiny bit of sanding, but ever since pastel hasn’t wanted to stick to that spot on her nose. I swore I’d never let it happen again, and then after doing a quick practice face up on my switch head tonight, I dropped him in the sink while washing him, scratching his forehead. I tried boiling him for about an hour on and off, which didn’t work. Finally I gave into sanding him, while harboring a fear that it will effect all of his future face ups. At this point it’s not if I’ll drop and damage my dolls, it’s how will I deal with it from now on? So I urge my fellow clumsy BJD owners, please share, how have you learned to cope with the fact that you are fated to boo boo everything you love? Do you have any advice or uplifting stories?

2. Realistically, if you've come to terms that you will be damaging your dolls inadvertently, you will just have to pay for repairs or a replacement when that time comes. :sweat

If you're open to vinyl, then that may be a better match for you since the material is much more forgiving than resin. However, even if you aren't, you can take steps to mitigate some of the damage.

For example, if you're going to be washing your doll's head in the sink, lay down a towel or soft sponges within the sink, so that the resin doesn't hit the hard surface. Cushion and pad your working surfaces.

For the Minifee heads that you dropped, were you standing? If the heads are just too finicky for you to handle, perhaps put them in a box to transport them when you're moving them around, so they won't slip out of your hands.

When I'm handling any of my dolls, I make sure there is a clear path when I'm holding them (not trying to step over stuff) and avoid reaching for them if I can't get a good hold on them, etc.

3. My uplifting story is that I dropped my doll too the first time I took her outside at a meetup... so I think it's actually quite common for people to drop their dolls! Maybe it would help a lot more if you take your doll outside less and just play with them near the bed?

4. While I don't have AHDH, I have... Some other issue I have no name for, in which my balance can randomly disappear and/or my hand can decide it doesn't quite want to hold things anymore and instead launches whatever it's holding in a random direction. It's a lot of fun (not). So I too have come to accept that sooner or later, I'm going to drop (or in my case, flat out throw sometimes) things. What I do is take precautions.

I know I'm less likely to launch things if I'm holding them with both hands or if they're heavier, so small and light items that are fragile get placed inside a larger/heavier box for carrying. If I need to hold it on its own (faceupping, washing a head etc), then I'll make sure the hard surfaces are covered in towels or sponge so if I do throw them, they'll have a better chance of not being damaged.

I don't know if the first part is of any help to you, but I think it's worth paying attention to yourself and seeing if you have any tendencies to drop things more if they fit certain criteria, and then work out a strategy from there. Either way, I feel you! Best of luck finding the best way to go about things so that your dolls are safe.

5. I feel your pain! I’m autistic and can get a little jittery sometimes (perhaps an understatement, but y’know), so I always do things as close to the ground as possible. I always sit on a carpeted floor when I’m restringing or dressing my dolls, and always have them sitting close to the ground when they’re displayed. If they’ll be on a table for some reason, I lay them down (or have them sit if they’re solid) in the middle of the table so there’s little to no chance they'll get knocked off. Instead of washing them in the sink, I put a bowl of water on the floor with a towel and wash them with a magic eraser.

If you do a lot of faceups and don’t want to risk sitting at a table when you work, especially one with tile or wood floor underneath, maybe get a table made for sitting on the floor, or a stool/bench that’s low to the ground. Think the low tables in Japan that you sit on the floor while using. It’s a bit of a leap, but if you know you want a table that’s closer to the ground for working on things (even beyond dolls) it might be worth looking into!

6. Hi, I can relate to the fear of dropping and breaking things. I don't have a diagnosed condition related to the issue--i'm just a klutz.

The recommendations about cushioning work surfaces is on point. Also, when carrying your baby around, be sure you have him or her tucked into your arm, not just your hand. For a floating head, try putting it in a box, or wrapping it in a small towel or clean cloth.

And if all else fails, just realize that the dents and dings and scratches make your doll unique. Learn to love your dolls, scars and all. Scars mean you're a survivor, they say.

7. Thank you so much to everyone who’s replied so far! Everyone had really great advice, but especially putting towels out to soften hard surfaces, working with and storing dollies near the floor, and carrying them in your arm and in boxes! And it is so good to hear that I’m not the only one who has difficulties not dropping their dollies! It makes me feel so much better! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! You guys rock!

8. I have issues with my nerves which means I twitch and have shakes. I can't always do small things like putting in eyes or really small buttons so some of that stuff I have my fiancee help me with. I also try to work on my dolls close to the table with something under them. When I do faceups, I keep it close to the table and hold with both hands.
      However, I'm realistic, and I'm not upset with when I drop them or do some damage and I just incorporate it into their story. I also try to get used dolls that often have some damage before hand lol makes me feel better in case anything happens to them in the future

9. I'm visually impaired (most of the right side of my visual field is missing) so I tend to knock things over and bump into things. If I have my doll standing to take a photo, they stand on or near the floor. When I'm not doing anything with them they sit on padded furniture on two low shelves. They are less likely to get damaged if I limit how far they can fall.

10. I have Tourette's, so my co-ordination isn't the best, and I have a very unfortunate tendency to just ... fling things across the room. I did a lot of research beforehand to make sure I wouldn't demolish my doll if I ever did that, so I'm not too worried about a few drops. Plastic is pretty strong.

I'm pretty careful with him. I only dress him or change his wigs when I'm sitting on my bed, to minimize risk. I don't handle him too much if I'm having a particularly bad day. But ultimately I know it's possible that I'll damage him, and honestly I'm okay with that. Most things can be fixed or worked around.

And in the absolute worst case scenario ... ultimately they're just dolls, they're not living things. I can replace or re-shell him if it comes to that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd be really upset if that happened. I'm very attached to this little resin friend. But it would be okay. So I just try to keep that in mind and not worry too much.