1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limiteds- Are they really so limited?

Oct 24, 2007

1. I guess there is an upside to limted and a down side..if you come in to this hobby after a few years and find that a limted you fall in love with came out before you were in to the hobby it can be a little sad ..but then if they re -release it then its a good thing ofr the people that want it and maybe(?) a sad thing for the people who own the first verision? I am not sure..I would be happy either way probably!

2. I probably wouldn't have paid as much as I did for my MDD dream except all the info from Volks said they wouldn't release the bodies as a standard, and I didn't want to miss my only chance at getting her.

Of course, now the bodies are coming out standard, which makes me slightly miffled but hey, that's life. Her face mold is still limited, and it's her cute little face that made me fall in love with her.

So I guess that's my stance on limiteds that get re-released/released in another form when it wasn't previously acknowledged that they would do so: really sucks for the people who paid the limited prices... but not something I'd ever really have the energy to be completely furious about.

3. In general, I've noticed that people who get limited dolls are usually willing to pay whatever price they paid to get their hands on that special doll, and even if there is a re-release they may be annoyed and upset but still don't get really angry or regret buying their doll when they did. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but working up to buying a limited is usually a lot of saving and planning (unless you're lucky enough to get one direct from the manufcturer) and after all of that the doll has a lot of value.

4. Yes, and for me the saving and planning is a test wether or not I want the doll. If I'm willing to pay 1500-2000 dollars for a cecile scarface, knowing it could take months before I'd be able to find one in the markeplace that is in my price-range, then I really want this doll. I couldn't care less if it would be re-released. I got the doll before the second release, and the 'hunt' was fun.

I have no experience with companies that say a doll is limited to a certain amount, only to be re-releasing it. The companies I know of treat their limiteds as limiteds. Elfdoll limiteds won't be re-released. Volks dolls are known to be re-released, but it's always a different version of the doll, with another face-up, different wig, eyes and outfit. Luts doesn't re-release, or perhaps they release a mold that looks similar to a previous one (el and lishe elfs). It's still different. Gomidoll is of course limited. But I couldn't speak up for the other companies, because I don't know them that well.

5. Well... even if the doll was limited or not, wasn't the purpose of buying that doll was because you liked it? ^^;

I mean, I guess it is more reassuring knowing that you can sell it far more easier than selling a standard version, but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of buying the doll in the first place.

Maybe that doesn't apply to everyone here. >_<;

6. Well i am attracted to limiteds more usually, i think there pretty XP. Theres just some companys and alot of basic molds my mind just says, oh come on u dont need that.......

7. True, I was just saying that it doesn't have to be a negative thing to have to search for one and save longer. Most of the complaints about limiteds I hear are about how someone is n&#233;ver going to get one now it's out of stock. And this is simply not the case.. if you want it, you'll get it, it just needs a little more effort.

And buying a limited so you have the reassurance you can sell it for more than a standard on the secondhand-market, that's silly. Buy the doll you like, not the one that's safest. Besides, not every limited will be worth more after they're sold out.

8. Gee....I think there's a few perspectives surrounding the word "limited" Usually to me it just means limited in numbers. I look at it this way, take LUTS full package for example, yes it can be considered limited even if the doll is mass produce. Reason being, the face-up, outfit, wardrobe, etc are all commissioned goods. They're not factory made, thus they are special because these extra goodies are hard to come by.

I understand that in a way, the word "limited" feels like a hoax if the doll is than produced regularly. Which is why I make a point not to by a limited doll if it's just got a slight variation from the normal ones, like say elf ears. Because as a customizer, the basic mould is more than enough, as I can always take my tools to it and make it resemble a limited doll. I see no point of buying a limited doll unless it's totally different and only a few exists. But that only applies to people who can be bothered to make those modifications either themselves or commissioned. So in a way the word "limited" also implies convenience to many who simply won't go to the trouble of commissioning both a customizer and a tailor.

Surely the company can claim whatever they want, but it's the buyers that need to keep a clear mind. You can't blame the company if you fell for the trap yourself. But of course, I'm sure not everyone would think of it this way. So personally I'm not against the idea of calling a doll limited even if it's not impossible to obtain.

9. *sorry if this was alredy mentioned*

huuum this kinda reminds me of the LE Xi Aliester from DZ. I mean the head sculpt is a littel diferent from the normal Xi. Obviously his "look" as you put it is limited.

It dosnt bug me to think that limiteds are based off pre existing dolls or if they are compleatly new^.^ I still love my littel LE Xi just the same! ^.^ however....it would bother me if they started selling the LE head sculpt. I know its not much different and one could obtain a very similer head if one were to mod a normal Xi.

I think that selling a LE doll or a LE head sculpt after the first intro of them is wrong. I mean isnt that liying? saying "this doll will be limited to 30 world wide!" then making another bach on the LE's aniversiry.

-Kira

10. If you modify the sculpt and then re-release it under the same name as the original LE, it's not the same as the LE, and so the limited is still limited, in my opinion.

For me, sculpt is everything. I don't care for limited dolls when it's only the clothes or make up because I have no intention of leaving one outfit on indefinitely or not changing the faceup to something more suited to my tastes. Some people do, and thats great, but personally I'd never buy a limited if it was already a standard scuplt.

However, in terms of limited dolls that are original molds? If you change them, then they're diffrent, whether it's just the ears or the eye shape or whatever you may, so I don't think it affects the "limited"ness of a doll at all.

But if you release a sculpt as limited and then turn around and release the exact same sculpt later? In my opinion, it's almost cheating, really. I personally don't really care whether someone has the same sculpt as I do, so the only reason I'd buy a limited doll is because I can't find that face anywhere else.

I'm having this problem with LUTS right now. They've said, repeatedly, that AZURE will NOT be released again later. Others have asked, I have asked, the answer is the same. But their past actions say otherwise. Everyone says that they wouldn't be surprised to see that mold on sale later in the year as a standard. So my deliema is, should I scramble to find someone who will sell me his head when its available on the second hand market, or should I wait and see if they do a flip like they've done before? I don't care about the head being unique, since all ABJD's are unique if you put in your own customizations, but that kind of change is annoying and feels almost like "cheating", or being cheated.

It's this kind of action that I don't understand, really, when it comes to Limiteds, and its why for the most part I generally avoid even looking at them when they're still for sale :/

11. I have to say, when I see people arguing about re-releases of limiteds (by which I mean a re-release which is also limited, not making a limited doll standard), I always think of dolls like Anais or Sasha/Masha. Have these dolls suddenly flooded the market or lost most of their value? I don't really track either of those sculpt actively, but based on the number I see when I browse Yahoo Japan, and the prices they're set at, they seem to be just as hard to find, expensive, and, well... status-ey as ever.

12. After much debating of this in a DOD thread with numerous people. I come into conclusion that DOD sells the LOOK limited.... That's it.
      And it usually means aspects of the doll will be eventually released again such as elf ears, face sculpt etc, etc,.

I was a little disappointed when I found out. But that's how it is.

Character Wise (Head sculpt):
      Now...that there is a Dim Doll minimee project ( which I feel that is the ultimate BJD customization made by professionals) I'll truly have a character that will be limited to only 2 in the whole entire world and will be unique one of a kind type of thing without modifications ( mods). Now, that's a truly limited BJD head sculpt that's made by professionals in my opinion never to be made again in some kind of modified version.

13. It's probably not right for them to re-release dolls that were supposed to limited, particularly if they were charging a very high price for the doll, but ye gods how I would love to get my hands on this:
      http://www.dollmore.net/shop/step1.php?number=3323

Alas, it says "limited to 40 pieces worldwide" and "sold out", and that sounds pretty final to me.

I suppose the trick would be as a buyer to take the term "limited" with a pinch of sale depending on which company you are dealing with.

14. LE to me is means production level limited to this specific doll sculpt, mold, faceup, etc. And some aspect of that sculpt should be significantly different their standards. The idea to me of an LE is that its harder to attain, costs more and I'd be saving to buy that doll. I would really be unhappy and annoyed if that LE later came out re-released with the exception if that the company charged more based on how long ago the original LE came out. It's not just the matter of second hand market but also I was saving for this doll and really trying to get it if it was LE and to see it re released with the exact same sculpt or where the sculpt is only minorly different bothers me. I could've just waited for *that* doll.

A bit of the thrill of getting an LE doll has kind of disappeared if it's re-released.

If it's the clothing that's an LE, fine, but then why not just package the whole outfit as an LE, not the oufit with the doll. I consider doll & clothing separate, but that's me. To me an LE doll should be in the beauty of its sculpt. The clothing is an added dimension and should be an LE separately on its own.

15. yes that's exactly my point or what I wanted to say. There's a certain thrill and joy at the saving/scrimping doing what you had to do to get the LE doll and actually getting that LE doll you wanted.

16. I'm still primarily a fashion doll and My Little Pony collector, and my take on it is probably influenced by that. In general, I see nothing wrong with the limitedness of dolls being based on their screening or facepaint, hairstyle and clothes rather than the shape of the face - it's what I'm used to. :)

(It does make me think, though - my Ballerina Choseol is limited purely because of her outfit, wig, eyes and faceup. I've already changed her outfit and her wig, I intend to get her better eyes, and I've been looking at her faceup and thinking that, really, I could do a much better job myself and I'd really like to... in the end, all that will make my little sweetie limited instead of just another snowskin Choseol is the useless piece of paper saying she's #10 of 11, which I left back in Australia anyway. It doesn't really matter, as I bought her at sale price more cheaply than I could get a basic Choseol, oddly enough, but... there it is. If I'd paid the special limited price, I might have felt differently.)

However, I do think there should be absolute transparency on how limited a doll is. In Barbie fandom, there was a lot of resentment about people shelling out a lot of money for "limited" dolls, especially on the secondary market (although a lot of that was due to scalpers and hoarders), then finding them in the bargain bin at ToysRUs for far less than retail; or dolls that were supposed to be unique to a certain distributer and then turned up n Target. Star Trek Barbie and Ken are often cited (and I paid retail for them, yeah, but Barbie fan + Star Trek fan = doomed).

I know that "cheap" isn't really something to apply to bjds, when even the "cheap" ones are expensive, but I can understand resentment or simple disappointment when someone pays extra believing this is their only chance, and then see they could have had it cheaper later on. Not so much regretting the doll, but regretting not having waited a bit and maybe got her a nice extra outfit for the same outlay, for example.

Mattel, probably because companies like Tonner were already doing this, finally caved into pressure and started using doll box covers and labelling to be clear about the maximum number of limited dolls produced. I do think it would be better if bjd companies did the same, putting it clearly in writing how many there are or for how long they will be available, so collectors can make their choice with clarity.

Sorry about the long, rambling reply. Informing collecters = a good thing in general.

17. It will have utterly no bearing on your enjoyment & love of this dolly right now, of course. But if you had that "useless piece of paper", her resale value could be higher than it'd otherwise be for "just another snowskin Choseol". Ever watch Antiques Roadshow on TV? It NEVER hurts to keep the provenance paperwork, if it exists. That way, even if that doll is changed & modded & bashed from hell-to-breakfast when you sell her, the buyer will still know she's from that certain Limited Edition run (i.e. desirable for whatever reason). That's why collectors like limited-edition things, because they started out special.

QFE.

I am just about to go through this same thing with Iplehouse, who used to say they had no "plans" to re-release Tan Soo Ri... but cleverly, they never did swear to it one way or ther other. Now popular demand has caught up with them: they've just done a V2 run of Tan Soo Ri, also limited. And you can bet I've already bought one of him, too. ^^ It doesn't bother me, because I know my V1 limited was 1 of 20, and he's still just as limited/special as he was when he was released. Having a V2 twin in the collection, I think, will only increase the specialness, because you can see the differences side-by-side. I did the same thing with Volks's Shiro Tachibana & Isao Nanjou v2's, which are also "just as hard-to-find, expensive, and status-ey" as their v1's were. As long as the new doll isn't regular stock, a Limited is still a Limited.

(Not everybody is into buying the new version of the same doll for each re-release, of course, but I think having 'sculpture-but-not-version-twins' is wonderful, if you have the means & inclination to do it.)