1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Love imperfection - or not?

Oct 13, 2008

1. I think a bit of damage adds character. Also, I don't mind minor damage if that means I can get the doll cheaper ;)

2. But it depends how you define " PERFECTION"
      For me, " perfection" is to bring to "real life" an imaginary character EXACTLY as it is in my imagination. Its a personification (or should I say " a BJDfication" XP) of an idea to the phisical world ^^

3. My Dolls are reflections of myself... there arn't many pretty flowery sides to my personality, mostly they are grotty, dirty and broken.
      but then I find such attributes attractive.
      I love the City I live in because it's old and filthy... I wouldn't change it, this is whats real to me and I love the rot... we all are mortal even our dolls can fade and chip and eventually give in to time and wear. thats life.
      my dolls are characters I made up, they have histories and lives and they pick up their scars and hurts as they go allong just like the rest of us.

4. If the feel someone is going for for their doll is one of something that needs to be protected, an imperfection adds a little extra vulnerability: not everyone is looking for a doll with a strong personality. Often a scar adds a sort of battling character to a doll, that could not be portrayed any other way. There are always some people who find scars, burns etc. attractive. Sometimes a doll is portraying a character from a story, and a story would be quite dull if no-one suffered.

5. I believe, as many others, that it adds to their character. sure, they can be perfect, but then they wouldn't really be ours, would they? rather it'd just be a perfect doll. one of my boys has a scar on his arm, just to show that he had a rough past.

6. Getting hurt is basically an everyday thing in life to me, you can even get hurt without even knowing it. So, adding a scar or two, maybe fifty in some cases, adds a bit more .. reality to the actual character.

7. I painted a birthmark or scar of sorts on my obitsu gretel, because I myself have a "lightning bolt shaped" birthmark under my eye. It's faded out some as I've gotten older but it used to be really prominent. So it was just my way of putting a little bit of myself into the doll.

I gave my first doll many freckles (in avatar pic) I don't have freckles, but I think they are cute. But many people would find freckles or moles yet another "imperfection"

I really like the new caspian sea lisa rubik (i love lisa rubik in general and long to own one). The new girl looks very sad and unique with her scar'd faceup. I love how the scar looks very tactile like it has some depth or texture to it. It's very unique. And she's still lovely, all be it perhaps with a bit of history to go with her battle scars.

8. I was thinking about getting a heavily customized doll sometime down the line with a glasgow smile-type facial scar, and my answer seems to be in line with a lot of peoples-- it's a part of his (currently hypothetical) character. Something in his history that formed a part of his outlook. A scar can enhance a rugged hero or a frightening villain (or, I suppose, a victim), and when dolls develop character, they might develop a scar or two on the journey.

=^__^=
      Anneko

9. i think imperfection gives the doll its uniqueness. though a perfect doll is equally cool. it's just a matter of the doll's character, i guess.

10. Imperfection can create perfection. I find the percieved form of perfection bland. Most of my characters have scars because they are all fighters. It would be silly for these girls and boys that bare knuckle fight men and women with big swords to not have scars!

11. When I get Jared, he will have a pink/blotchy birthmark on his back (where he can't see it; leads to some wardrobe malfunctions) shaped a bit like Kentucky, and he's bound to have a few -small- scar mods added. He's supposed to be human, so I want some very small little scars here and there, just... natural ones, y'dig? Maybe something near his knee where he scraped it as a kid, a scar where he got stitches as a teenager after getting hit by a bicyclist... You know? Normal things. Real life. He's a doll, sure, but when I'm posing him for pictures, I want him to look like the real thing.

12. For me, it's something in the dolls history and character. Maybe my character had a really hard childhood and have physical scars from it, then I want the doll to be able to show those scars, as it is the dolls persona.

And it's also a way to make a common doll or mold into "my" doll. Not like the standars version :)

13. I love the imperfections. It adds character. A scar tells a story without words.

14. Scars and horrormods are a part of character development.
      These dolls are actually made to customize to ones taste and character.

So don't see why this is strange and make people ask questions >__>''

Probably some therapist dolly owners suspecting we've all been abused as children and
      are getting rid of our frustration by letting someone molest our dolls XB.. but..

I have bigger question marks about people enlarging their male dolls privet parts....

[down sizing boobs is more character based..but... other privets are in pants a lot right ...D:']

15. Why would modding a doll penis be different from modding any other part of a doll? Because it's a representation of a human penis?

My sister enlarged the penis of one of her dolls and she says it makes the pants fit better. She doesn't make nude pictures of her doll. Nobody gets to see the penis mod up close but her (unles you ask her), but the pants are clearly visible to every one.
      Obviously the original penis was an imperfection that was not loved. Then why keep it that way?

If you can mod eyes, noses, mouths, hands and feet when you don't like them or want them to be different, why can't you mod a doll's private parts? You paid for the doll penis too. If you don't like it, you can change it just like you can change all those other parts of your doll.

Why would down sizing boobs be character based and up sizing a penis not? Breasts are usually covered with clothes too, so howcome pants make a penis mod non-character based? Does a mod need to be character based in order to be "accepted"?
      Someone may just not like unnaturally balloon shaped breasts regardless of character. Someone may not like a tiny penis for their doll or a gigantic penis that gets in the way of the pants all the time for that matter. (Soom doll owner speaking. :| )
      For some people a penis is just part of human anatomy and it's not a taboo, or something to giggle at, or something dirty. It's a penis.

As for the original question, aside from adding something to a character the mod itself may be made for artistic reasons. I made my horror mod as a craft project. I enjoyed making the detailed mods and the character itself followed later.

16. ;_; I like happy dolls

17. I have an accident-prone brother (who really was accident-prone), and learned early on how to deal with the sight of a lot of blood. I, myself, was active and tended to get a lot of injuries and bloody noses in the course of typical play. I guess I just developed a fascination with scars from that, as well as some other things.

Being a tomboy and a girl who really wasn't that into dolls when I was younger, most of my dolls are male, and most of them are some sort of fighter-type. I'm nearly obsessed with making things as believable as possible, and a warrior who's been around for several centuries should, to me, have the scars to show for it.

Plus, I'm endlessly fascinated with the idea of beauty or perfection being ruined somehow. It probably speaks to my psyche, but I can't stand the idea of perfection. I don't just don't believe it exists.

18. I agree I have yet to actually do the scaring on my doll as he usually covers up his wrists but I am going to do some day and I think its appropraite its part of their story regardless of where the mod is taking place. its still part of the story and the customization of the doll is what makes that doll yours and yours alone.

19. hmmm, i like imperfect dolls for the same reason that i write about imperfect characters. i'm not perfect, and it's far more interesting to figure out how an imperfect person deals with their flaws and how they affect their lives... i have a large scar on my chest from a heart transplant years ago, so perhaps i'm projecting my need to know that it's ok for me to be flawed as well :huh?:

20. I don't really see scarring on dolls as an 'imperfection' the scars on my own body? yes, I do see them as imperfections, memories, and lessons learned and am still learning. Scars are proof of pain, I see them as proof that life isn't or wasn't always perfect and happy. but, scars make me happy, because they're proof that you survived to tell the tale, there's always the chance that something could happen, and you (or the character, as the case may be) could be... gone, as depressing as that thought is, I see scars as the proof that we're alive, that we've lived a true life. and on a character, it makes you grow more attached to them when you know that they've been through something in their life, be it a physical or psychological scar, it draws you closer to them.

my doll doesn't have any scars or mods as of yet, but, truth be told, (and don't tell my sisters this yet ^-^;;) I do eventually plan on putting a burn scar on his shoulder blade, because he needs to have a backstory, and his backstory isn't necessarily always a happy one. but once I came up with that part of his backstory, my heart melted just a little bit more for him (how that was even possible I have no earthly clue >.>) and I now love him even more then I did before. I believe that knowing that they have a backstory, makes you closer to a dolls character, because it gives them personality. and it helps you discover why they act the way that they do, why they look the way they do, etc. I don't see scars as being imperfections, they're more like... Spiderweb cracks, glass is beautiful, it's gorgeous, I love glass. But glass with spiderweb cracks on it is completely ensnaring for me, I find it to be completely and utterly the picture of beauty. vases and goblets and cups that are stained and with veins of color and what could be called 'imperfections' are what draw me in, blank see-through glass is only so interesting for so long, but imperfections make things interesting.

That's just what I think anyway. ^-^;;