1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Boy Dolls....Boys! [~Small Edit~]

Jul 10, 2008

1. I've definitely given up. Most of my guys are half-dressed or undressed, wearing huge wings, sitting on bookshelves or on top of birdcages, standing on tables, etc., and they are still thought to be girls. They don't look like girls to me, although I can accept they look androgynous to some.

I think a lot of the gender confusion has to do with the fact that most folks have never seen dolls of this type at all before, and most certainly have not seen a MALE doll outside of Ken.

2. Having liked anime,manga and jrock for quite a few years now I have no trouble tell boy and girls apart but my mother is another story she just always asks with a polite " erm is it a boy or a girl" mostly because I am always telling her off when she gets it wrong lol .

I agree I think it has to do with the wig but you would think that(for mature age dolls at least) people would notice the lack of boobs on a doll meaning that it is a boy doll! although the younger dolls can sometimes be confusing especially when there is a male body with a very feminine head mold.

3. Folken, my DollZone Yuu has a pretty manly appearance. But my Fiancé still calls him a girl from time to time to get me riled up. :| But for the most part people know he’s a boy. Now Riuske on the other hand, gets called a girl a lot. Infact a main comment I get is “Aw she looks just like You!’ I want to tell them he’s a boy but then again I don’t want to have to explain it all. So I’m just like “Y-Yea. Thanks” and smile. :sweat

4. I've definitely run into this with my best friend's dolls, with Gemis (her long-haired elf) being the bigest culprit. There are a couple guys at work that simply refuse to believe he's male, even with the repeated mutterings about anatomical accuracy. XD

I agree, though, that this is mainly due to most people thinking that every doll is female. I never had a male doll growing up, and I doubt that many others had one. It just wasn't done, excluding action figures and such. So every male doll has to break that mindset, and pretty boys just aren't going to cut it for a lot of people. Oh well. ^_^ Their loss.

5. My folks have been around for two box openings, and considering how unnerved my mother sounded when she said, "She's got some impressive hooters, child," I don't think there will be any mistaking the incoming male for one of the girls, but it's hard to say. I could end up hearing, "She's a little flat-chested compared to the other ones," though I lucked out in that she knows there is a boy coming and is expecting to see him.

The fiance is too immersed in anime to have issues telling the girls from the boys -- he's usually better at it than I am, actually. He may comment on "how pretty he is" but the pronouns are correct in the process.

6. I have 3 boys:

- Luts Chiwoo (and loads of people have the chiwoo head on girl bodies anyway so there's no hope for my poor Alphie to not be mistaken for a girl)

- Elfdoll Hana Devil (some people have this one as a girl too but he looks like a boy to me)... same problem as with Alphie.

- a Banji boy, Thistle, who nobody has yet mistaken for a girl - somehow, he just *looks* like a boy, even in a pink sweater and pale blue dungarees with flowers embroidered on the front.... Perhaps it's the short, messy wig, but, even in short wigs the other two boys are still mistaken for girls.

I've given up, really. After all, I'm in my 40's and people are still mistaking me for a girl (woman)... so why should my boys be any different....{g}

Teddy

7. I've not got my first doll yet - but considering I'm planning on making him half evlish (CP LuWen mould) with just-longer-than-shoulder-length hair, I'm going to assume he's going to get a lot of "She's pretty!" After reading this I know many people will be confusing guys for girls, so now I'm prepared! :)

8. When I first got my hound, Kisten, my mom thought he was girl, because he does have long hair..{he's a musician} but now she knows and he now also has a soul patch of mohair so there is no mistaking his gender....and the last time she was here i took her into my bedroom to show her some new dolls and she asked were my "tall boy" was..so that made me happy.

and Mortiis my Ark will NEVER be mistaken for a girl.. Dorian has a mustache and goatee and Wolfbane looks male too...so I have no worries..

my two smaller boys look like boys too...no cross dressers here..

9. Blame the section of this hobby that has an unhealthy fixation on Shiwoos in skirts, lol. Too many people get a boy when it's clear they really wanted a girl. (This is coming from someone who has three girls whose heads were originally male sculpts, mind you. But they have girl bodies.)

Honestly though, it really does stem from the fact that we here in the Western world have, overwhelmingly, exclusively female dolls as children. Anyone who has a tiny that wears Ken clothing can speak to this problem--no one cares about Ken so he gets three outfits ever in the whole wide world and he's always sold poorly because your average doll-playing child wants about six Barbies and Ken's an afterthought. Baby dolls--how many of them are boys, honestly? How long did Bratz Boyz last? And so on and so forth. People in the West expect dollies to be female by default.

People usually do not confuse Jonas (DZ Xi-Aleister) for a girl--but he has a short spiky fur wig on, combined with a suit jacket and pants with big stompy boots. DZ's faces are pretty angular, and even though he has eyelashes, he just LOOKS male. I don't have much of a problem with Deva either...but he wears a fur wig, scrunchy black pants and big stompy boots. The rest of my actual males at this time are anthros so it doesn't much matter, but yeah. Big stompy boots and fur wigs should help, I think. XD

10. Someone saw a picture of my old Hound and thought he was a girl. He had neutral faceup and short fibre hairdo.

I guess the hair is the main problem. Not many men have such silky hair, long or short, so fur wigs give a more boyish look and anything else is presumed to be a girly. A lot of my old metaller guy friends had this problem - being mistaken for girl (from behind) even if they were big musclebound types :lol: One in particular who was quite slight build with long silky waist length blonde hair used to get it a lot. Even though he was slight he had a guy build, guy walk and looked like a guy.:lol:

11. When I had a boy he was always mistaken for a girl. It doesn't bother me at all, and hey, a compliment is still a compliment!

12. Haha, nope hasn't happened yet. I think its because I told people I was getting a boy, and he has a furry wig.
      My mom knew it was a boy cause of his muscle-y build and she was there when i took him out of the box. >.>;;;

13. Aiden is so over it.....:sigh Maybe not.

[​IMG]

Aiden: "I'm a man, dangnabbit!"

A big fuzzy mustache is all you need. :wiggle

14. People seem to be confused over whether Blisdon is a boy or a girl, and I think it's mostly due to his kindof poofy, girly wig. And of course the big black swoop of eyeliner on his upper eyelid that DoD gave him (need to fix that :|).

Some people assume he is a girl, and call him "she" or "her", but most people ask because I think they aren't quite sure. He's got proportions of a full grown person rather than a child, yet he clearly has no boobs, so I think that makes them think he might be male. If he was a doll proportioned more like a child, I have no doubt he would constantly be called female.

15. Adam is only dressed in clothes that's it's obvious he's a boy. Right now he's in leather pants, tight leather pants so it's sorta hard to miss the fact he's a boy and his wig helps as well.

16. Only my sisters husband thought my boy (MNF Ruth) was a girl, even after I told him otherwise, he didn't believe me.
      In public though I haven't had to many problems. One lady thought he was a girl but she saw him from the back and he was wearing a long fur wig, she corrected herself (to my surprise) when she saw him from the front. She had lots of questions about BJD so I don' think she was a collector.
      My boy sometimes wears long hair (and a kilt), but I always give him big manly eyebrows and minimal eyelashes, eyeshadow and blushing. I also stay far from shades of pink or red for my boys face ups, if I do use them the color is very translucent and only on the lips.

17. I always feel too uncomfortable to correct people when they say "Aww, she's so pretty" sometimes they correct themselves when they realise the doll just got a "I'm going to stab you, because I pee standing up!" glint in their eye.

I think the reason I tend not to say anything is because they look so sheepish coming up to them I worry if I click my tongue and start babbling that he's a boy, they'll run away. I mean. Jrock and anime has had this problem for decades. (Actually, interesting fact. Because people know I have pink hair, and I often have d/f pictures of hide on my msn people sometimes think hide is me. O.o Which is ridiculous.....And SOMETIMES they think my name is spelled "hide"...because it's heidi, then I have to explain and say that his name is pronounced "Hee-deh")

Anyway. Most of the time, people realise, eventually at least, that my dolls are boys. ...

18. When I'd take my El around campus I got tons of.. "she's so pretty!" even though he was in board shorts, sneakers, and a tight fitting hoody..All I could do is think to myself.. "god, I guess my girl has the biggest freaking nose in the world." Though the metioned time I got the "she's so pretty!" comment the woman eating lunch with the 'prosector' was all.. "No I think its a boy" which was really nice. I didn't correct them until then..Hahaha.
      I just think its easier to let them say.. 'she's' pretty. I bet it hurts Val's pride but I make sure to spoil him so I don't feel guilty about it later..

And man, people in the Airport just LOVE to tell you just how beautiful your 'girl' is.

19. I know what you mean.Yuki (a DZ Yuu) has been mistaken for a girl... even when he was wearing an outfit which left exposed his male chest :sweat
      It could be a bit difficult to make male dolls look "boyish" for people out of the BJD hobby. I suppose that the, in most cases, rather androgyn face sculp mistakes people. A short wig and clearly male clothes should help, I think. :)

20. I know it sounds wierd but whenever I'm out with friends and their dolls and a "Oh isn't SHE cute" scenario happens, I've found that most of the time the boys aren't being mistaken for girls but it's a thing where dolls are considered to be feminine objects and automatically get the "she" thing put on them.
      It occured to me in a german class when I was pondering a comment along the lines of "Oh isnt she a cute little boy"
      This is the english language so it is a little odd but after asking around it turns out that 98% of the time my theory is correct. The other 2% of the time the people are just ignorant.

Thank god for fussy language teachers and their "Masculine, Feminine and Neutral words" lessons...