1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Boy Dolls....Boys! [~Small Edit~]

Jul 10, 2008

1. All of my boy dolls are pretty girly, honestly. I just tend to like the androgynous looking head molds. Then I stick long hair on them. They're doomed from that point on to being called girls.

So if I'm carrying around a doll (a rare occurrence) and some random stranger says, "She's very pretty!"... I just smile and nod and thank them, because it's nice of them to compliment my doll, and the fact that they got the gender of the doll wrong really doesn't matter.

2. Ha, I've had people mistake my big boys for girls, and one of my girls for a boy! She has short hair and was wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, but the fact that she also has an old Minifee body with those big bazooms would be a clue, you'd think. My Sard is too clueless to care if anyone thinks he's a girl, but my Delf Moon insists on "boy clothes" like jeans, buttonup shirts and Doc Martens style boots, and yet he still gets called "she" :( <Kiyoshi> :lol: <me>

3. I have Donivan who's a girls head on a boys body (he's actually inspired 2 others to get IF heads to be boys. I feel all warm and fuzzy that I've apparently influenced people) and I have no problem with people mistaking him for a girl because, at the end of the day, that's what he was sculpted to be! Even his faceup is the default one. (He does only wear boy clothes tho so that's something.)

Even if I had a manlyman doll if someone mistakes him as a girl I really dont mind. I wouldnt go out my way to correct them and just use "she" around that person. C= I dun mind. Most dolls are feminine looking anyway.

4. I'm in a debate on whether or not to consider my puki a boy. I haven't posted recent photos, but his current appearance is meant to be modeled after drag queens, so...male? Pukis have asexual bodies anyway, so I've often resorted to refering to him as an "it", no joke.

Of course, if people get confused I seldom correct them so that I can save myself some explaining. ^^; I do that all the time when I'm drawing some of my effeminate boy characters and someone comes up and says, "Oh, she's so pretty!" or something. Yes, HE is...

5. Everyone I know has at least thought Afanasiy was a girl at some point. (Which I then proceed to shock them by pulling his pants down XD) I know his face is round but his short hair, clothes and shoes all suggest otherwise. This is what he's been wearing for a while now, and he's still a girl to some people. I don't see any girls wearing collars like that! And he definitely doesn't have any breasts under that thin shirt, so...I don't know. Seems people just like to stare at faces and disregard everything else.

6. I find that the eyebrows are key to showing a more masculine aesthetic. So far, even though my first doll has a very soft look and long hair, everyone so far has recognized that he is a man, and more than a few people have said that it is his thicker/darker eyebrows that make his gender far easier to recognize.

7. I try to chose more manly looking wigs - often short ones, and put on him not unisex but men clothes, usually historic one... Everybody tell me - he looks like a girl, but usually they start their phrase with pronoun "HE" :)

8. I could see where with your boy's sculpt he could be mistaken for female but I can also just see young boy. I don't think he is ultra femme, but I can see where someone might make the mistake of saying, "she's so pretty!"

Pretty much as everyone has said here, I think it is easy for the inexperienced person to mistake most male BJDs for female, hell I have mistaken a couple of my boyfriend's boys for girls and felt rather stupid for it. Because the sculpts are so pretty and often delicate it can be hard to tell rather the doll is dressed or "made up" in a feminine way or not. I agree that a good little rule of thumb is to look for the boobs, though as also mentioned that isn't exactly foolproof. What's funny is that people always call my little chihuahua a HE and she is the prissiest little female dog I have ever owned. It does get aggravating to correct and re-correct, but it's just one of those little things you gotta deal with I suppose.

I don't really understand all of the emphasis here on the perception of gender or sexuality. I've read atleast four posts today involved on crossdressing or femininity on male dolls or people being upset by their boys being mistaken for girls or why we put boy heads on girl bodies. I am not trying to offend in any way, but to me it's just like who cares? It is what it is. I guess it kind of just takes the same standpoint for me as with people - they are what they are, people will always have something to say about it positive or otherwise... it's best just to let it roll off.

9. I don't think it's a matter of whether or not there should be girly boys, but the owners of said girly boys who receive comments from people who think their dolls are girls. While it might be irritating at times, in a way I can't really blame them. ^^ That's not going to make me stop liking androgyny. *pokes avatar* Sometimes it's even amusing to see people get confused when I try to explain. I don't understand why people get SO pissed.

10. Goatees work wonders for instant recognizability. I think I'm gonna add chest hair next ;)

11. I have an Iplehouse Mars and to be honest, no one has ever mistaken him for a girl. Even though he has quite a soft face, the sheer manliness of his body makes his gender unmistakable. XD

12. Right now I just have my girl, but I'm really hoping to purchase a LTF Lewi before too long. I've seen both boy and girl versions of the Lewi sculpt on Flickr, so I'm actually wondering if he'd be mistaken for a girl even with a short wig... o.o Being new in the hobby, I think it might be fun to have him mistaken maybe once or twice. Just to experience it. (I'm weird. xD) But I can see how it would be annoying.

13. I've had Stephen for roughly 24 hours, and so far, he's been seen as a guy. To me, he looks tough - like the kind of guy I'd assume was very pessimistic, as well as a little rude. Not quite sure what he'll be, but he also seems pretty cool and laid back.

I think the face up can make the difference, as well as the shape of the jaw. Men and women tend to have different jaw shapes, and having a relatively strong jawline can make a male doll look more... male.

14. I gave up on trying to make Andre look like a guy when I had him naked on my boyfriend's living room table and his roommate walked in and mistook him for a girl....-_- really?

15. when my friend first showed me the Luts site, over 4 years ago, I wasn't even into dolls, and didn't know a thing about them. But every time I seen a doll I liked.. I would be like.. "Ooooh look! She's pretty!" My friend would reply,.. "Yeah but that's a HE." This went on like four or five times, before I actually called a girl a she. Apparently I am attracted to dolls with smaller eyes. But also, I was just looking at the pictures of their faces, and not the actual doll's page...lol. So it was an easy mistake to make. My only point is, that it's just naturally easier for people to picture any doll as a girl, because most of the first dolls made were girls. So I blame that for the reason our boys always get called girls. xD

16. Even with my love of anime, manga, various asian music group, and asian dramas... I still automatically presume most dolls are female. :?

This may be because my main doll is female, or my daydreams and stories are centered around female characters, or maybe because I only played with female dolls as a kid. Yeah, my mom didn't allow me to own a Ken doll (I have no idea why) so I took one my generic Barbie dolls and cut off her hair. Sounds kinda silly but I even remember trying to cut off the boobs but that plastic was serious business! *_*

I suppose that is why I am not a big fan of androgynous male dolls (for myself) and want to get a beefy IH male.

17. I'm generally more attracted to the boys that have soft, pretty, feminine features anyhow so I don't think I'd be offended (though he might be a little). I am going to be dressing him in a lot of metrosexual clothes as well. The only people that matter will know he is a boy and those are the fellow doll lovers. :)

18. That's a funny story. Haha! It would make sense you want a more manly doll.

19. My best friend's boy Connor actually has a female head, and he's still recognized as a boy.

A lot of it has to do with the face up. Go for a more neutral look, and thicker eyebrows!

20. Oh yeah, Griffin could never be mistaken for a girl. The facial hair also helps. ;)